aftermarket exhaust and uprated brakes

jell36

:scare: If add add my Nismo exhaust and uprated brakes (DBA T3'a, ferodo pads and braided brake lines) to my insurance quote, the price goes up by £250 !!!! Never thought the insurance was going to jump that much. I don't think the insurance companies like add ons this year. It's going to be expensive :blackeye:

:lol: that's from the insurance comparison sites as my renewal is due at the end of April. I knew mods would increase the insuance cost but I never expected it to go up that much. Currently my insurer has been told about the brakes but not the exhaust just yet as it was only fitted 2 weeks ago.

In principal I agree but haven spoken to many people in the legal profession and insurance industry then so long as I can prove that the exhaust made no preformance difference and didn't contribute to any accident in any way then I will be fine. If I had taken out the insurance with the exhaust then that's a different matter. But as it was added near the end of my poicy and as the insurer has charged me for standard items (rays wheels) as extras then I can argue it.

But anyway, it's my choice and my risk. Legally I can take 28 days to inform the insurer and so that only leaves 14 days for me to avoid an accident, which I do everyday.

The point of the post was just the shock of the price increase for a couple of small mods.

Apologies for being blunt, but I think you're talking out of your arse

Insurance companies will do ANYTHING to avoid paying out. Not notifying them of your modifications, no matter how you can argue whether or not they contribute to an accident, will result in them making your insurance VOID

You may think you're a good driver and can avoid an accident, but what if someone goes into the back of you or another situation which is completely beyond your control?

Edited by smudgedon

Apologies for being blunt, but I think you're talking out of your arse

Insurance companies will do ANYTHING to avoid paying out. Not notifying them of your modifications, no matter how you can argue whether or not they contribute to an accident, will result in them making your insurance VOID

You may think you're a good driver and can avoid an accident, but what if someone goes into the back of you or another situation which is completely beyond your control?

Agree insurance companies will do anything to avoid paying but that's why there is an ombudsman to ensure the insurance companies don't just do what they want without reason.

Never said I was a good driver

If someone hits me then it's on their insurance, don't have to use my own. Mods still don't come into it so long as I don't expect them to be replaced.

Didn't come on here to get the lectures. I've read 100's of posts like this over the last year or so and know how you all react hence why I keep trying ot get it back to my original point.

Sorry to get into this, but it isn't just your risk if you are on the road with other drivers...

Fair point but it would be up to my insurance company to first void my insurance and then it would be at other peoples risk.

Dont use comparison website as they've always been way out on the price i end up getting going to websites direct. Try admiral or sky. I. Declared wheels and exhaust and it was an extra £25

:thumbs: thanks, that's the sort of info I'm after. I usually start with comparison sites and then go onto company websites directly. I tried sky a couple of weeks ago and they were pricey but it was too early for me to get a true price (more than a month until my renewal when I was getting a feeler for prices), they said they would ring me back this week to provide a more accurate price. I'm with Admiral at the minute but they seem to have gone up in price. Privilege is the best so far but need to ring them up and declare my mods as their site wouldn't let me add them.

Can anyone explain why changing brake pads/disc would put insurance up you dont tell you insurance if your running mikey mouse pads from eurocar parts, if you put bigger size discs and 12 pot calipers yea but an item which is to OEM spec isnt a modification, if so all my bulbs are modified, so is my coolant and oil and filter as it isnt the same brand as factory.

I wouldn't declare consumables, just ensure they are OEM spec and quality.

Other things are a grey area, technically you should declare all modifications, but where is the line drawn? Does s/s brake lines count as a modification? The oem ones need replaced at some point due to being made from rubber, so is replacing them with better more durable ones a modification? If it is, then putting Michelin PSS tyres one us kind of the same, they're better...

The insurance companies should post a list of everything that needs declared and what is considered a consumable/wear and tear replacement.

Also th OP said about Nismo exhaust well surly that could be a factory extra? i mean mercedes AMG wheel are deemed factory upgrades on non amg models

Because my car had fitted from factory when it was order in japan LMGT4's nismo shocks and springs nismo exhaust from the nissan red dealers out there, so as far as im concerned its factory fit and OEM?

Again, depends on what the insurer asks. You will find that Admiral group ask for anything fitted above a basic vehicle, so that would include the GT pack stuff and definitely all the bits you mention. I told them about every option on the 911 when I was insured with them for this very reason, and it was quite a list as you can imagine!

Just tell them everything. Don't pay for the privilege of not being insured.