If your were going to move you Zed on...what would you get

deank93

Morning,

I'm in a position where I'm looking at spending a few grand on my HR Zed but in doing this I will be commiting to keeping it for a few more years...in theroy this isn't of much of a hard ship as I enjoy it (with the exception of the road tax) but it got me thinking that I might possibly kick myself around 12 months from now when i think, I could have got this, or i could have got that instead, so I'm trying to think of what could be possible replacements for similar-ish money and see if I come to the conclusion that keeping the Zed a few more years and getting it looking a little sharper, sounding a bit beefier and going a tad faster is the right way to go.

The first few alternatives to pop in to my head are a Monaro which is about the same price, a 3.2S boxster or a few quid more on something like the ZM4 coupe/roadster, VXR8, 370z or the Caymen...

What do you think, anything else to throw in to the mix? and have you ever been in a similar position and decided to stay with the zed or did you move to something else and how did you come to that decision?

Thanks.

Edited by deank93

Early 911 Carrera 4 :thumbs:

Actually I forgot to put that in.....but name badge aside, how would an early 911 4 compare with an HR zed with a milltek, berks, uprev etc? and I'd worry about running costs as my Zed is soon to become a dialy driver.

It seems that the 370z hasn't dropped in value as quickly as the 350z did....If I'm getting my number right, I bought my 57 plate HR 350 for 13.5k just over 2 years ago which at the time made it about 3 years old when i got it however, a 3 year old 370 is no where near that yet....which is a bugger.

Lol, I am tempted to sell my 370z as I am starting to do alot of miles with my work etc. Its a 2010 storm white connect premium with only 17k on the clock. I would be looking for about £18.8k for mine, if that gives you a rough idea on costs etc.

:lol: Didn't see that one coming Jay :teeth:

I know mate, been trying to put it off for a while, but I am travelling up and down the country with work now so a more economical car may be needed. I have toyed with the idea of getting a runner, but image is a big thing in my line of work so I would really need a nice car.

I went with keeping the zed and doing a few bits to it, but of I was in the financial position to do so, I'd be having a 911 all day long. Servicing costs on the slightly older ones are on par with the zed and they're stunning motors, it ticks one of the must own boxes and if you get bored with it after a few years, hopefully 370s will have dropped in price and you can head down that alley again :D

I'd want something with a v8 lump

Yea, nothing beats the sound of a V8.

Agreed, they do sounds very nice....and they are a temptation....I have a VXR vauxhall garage 2 minutes from where i live and they have some nice VXR8's and have just got in a silver monaro, I think the zed is a much better looker but my god they sound nice especially after spending some time at monkfish motorsport.

Edited by deank93

Z4M is a lot faster then a HR 350z,

In my on road experience up against one it wasnt. And looking at the on paper figures there really isnt much in it. (z4m 0-100 in 12.3 vs HR 12.7 and 1/4 mile both do it in 13.5)

I wasnt sure what to go for when I off loaded my HR zed last year. Biggest thing for me was the depreciation, as I paid £16k for mine 2 years back. If you only paid £13.5 for yours then you wont be hit quite as much.

Really depends on your budget. I budgeted 25k last year to replace the zed and was spoilt for choice. Do I go for a scoobie for £4k, a boxster for £4k, lotus elise for 7k, a porsche 996 for 8k, a range rover for 8k, e46 m3 for 10k, vx220 turbo for 12k, clio v6 for 15k a 997 for 17k, a e92 m3 for 25k, a nearly new mental Evo for 24k. They were pretty much all the stuff I was considering.

But for me the kicker was the running costs. My zed was costing me £1200 a month all in to use on a daily basis. £600 depreciation, £450 fuel, £250 insurance / servicing etc. So if I was going to go for something like one of the above cars, my running costs would probably remain the same. As a daily runner I wanted to try and reduce this as much as possible.

Problem then is you think... well for 18k you could buy a cheap diesel shed for £1500, then spend the remainder on a mad weekend car and probably still save money.

You could dump £2k on modding your HR and gain very little extra power out of it. And then when you come to sell thats another £2k you`ll just loose on it.

Just too much choice these days!!!!

Boxster 3.2S have dropped in value. You can pick one up for £1000. You'll need to change the oil though...... :)

(I hope someone else saw the episode, otherwise this is meaningless).

• Like 1

Boxster 3.2S have dropped in value. You can pick one up for £1000. You'll need to change the oil though...... :)

(I hope someone else saw the episode, otherwise this is meaningless).

I usually follow your 'jokes' Ian but you even lost me here ;)

I knew someone, somewhere would! Think you're in a minority though Adam.

In last week's Wheeler Dealers Mike Brewer (spit) bought a Boxster S for £1000 because the seller thought it had 'major gearbox issues'. Edd solved it with an oil change :thumbs:

• Like 1

I knew someone, somewhere would! Think you're in a minority though Adam.

In last week's Wheeler Dealers Mike Brewer (spit) bought a Boxster S for £1000 because the seller thought it had 'major gearbox issues'. Edd solved it with an oil change :thumbs:

I saw this show. The seller actually priced it up at £1500 originally, which upon seeing my initial reaction was "thats cheap". But, in actual fact the car had gearbox problems and the seller had been quoted £2000 to have it repaired. Looking on ebay etc.. you can get a perfectly good boxster S for less than £4k now. I saw one for £3750 the other day, so assuming the seller accepts £3500, then this guy on wheeler dealers selling his for £1500 is about the right price. The boxster on wheeler dealers also had been sitting in the guys drive for 4? years did he say, needed new seats, a service plus after doing nothing for 4 years you`d assume it needed a few other minor bits. When you factor in mechanics time etc... then it all adds up. Which explains why the guy was so keen to let it go for a grand.

Of course, the seller could have broken the car into bits and got more than a grand, but having done this myself on a few cars, the time / effort in stripping a car, then selling bits off etc.. is a right pain.