changing pads and discs..How hard and can an idiot do it

CavemaN1010

im in christchurch at the mo moving to hastings in the next week

mine have worn low and tcs lights keep coming on, how did you get the callipers back i used to use a g clamp to squeeze them out but admittedly that was on old cars years ago (getting pi**ed off with paying thru the nose for jobs i could do just cos im too lazy to try)

Rough step by step:

Jack car up

Wheel off

Caliper bolts removed

Curse, swear and have a strop about how difficult they are to get off

Eventually get the bolts off

Caliper to one side with brake line still attached (might want something to prop this up on)

Remove bolt that holds brake disc onto hub

Change disc

Remove pads from caliper

Replace pads in caliper

Some form of clamp or caliper retractor tool (can be got from Halfords or car parts shop)

Caliper back over disc

Replace bolts

Make sure everything's secure and done up tight

Wheel back on

Car down

Bed the new pads and discs in

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished this job over the weekend, but I forgot the rear caliper bolts have a lower torque setting than the fronts, so I tried to get 152Nm on all 4 rear bolts. I couldn't pull hard enough to get the torque wrench to click at 152, so I reckon I've put about 120Nm onto them, which is way too much.

Does anyone sell the bolts, as I feel I should replace them for new,

Edited by Supratad

Sorry to jack the thread, but i replaced my pads only on mine (non-brembo) with EBC pads. They came with some sort of 3M sticker rubber thingy that you're supposed to stick to the pads.

I skipped the rubber stickers and used the stock shims that were on the old pads and now I have squeaky brakes :/

What did i do wrong?

I've just finished this job over the weekend, but I forgot the rear caliper bolts have a lower torque setting than the fronts, so I tried to get 152Nm on all 4 rear bolts. I couldn't pull hard enough to get the torque wrench to click at 152, so I reckon I've put about 120Nm onto them, which is way too much.

Does anyone sell the bolts, as I feel I should replace them for new,

What torque were they supposed to be? In any event, it's unlikely that you've stretched them. Loosen them off and start again. Otherwise Zmanalex will be able to supply new bolts.

Sorry to jack the thread, but i replaced my pads only on mine (non-brembo) with EBC pads. They came with some sort of 3M sticker rubber thingy that you're supposed to stick to the pads.

I skipped the rubber stickers and used the stock shims that were on the old pads and now I have squeaky brakes :/

What did i do wrong?

Some makes/compounds will squeal more than others. Otherwise you can try smearing some Coppaslip on the rear of the pads/shims. This interferes with the harmonic frequency created between the piston and the pad. Although you shouldn't use as much as shown in the guide above or you risk blobs flinging off and possibly contaminating the discs/pads. A smear where the piston contacts the pad is usually sufficient.

• Like 1

Rough step by step:

Jack car up

Wheel off

Caliper bolts removed

Caliper to one side with brake line still attached (might want something to prop this up on)

Change disc

Remove pads from caliper

Replace pads in caliper

Some form of clamp or caliper retractor tool (can be got from Halfords or car parts shop)

Caliper back over disc

Replace bolts

Wheel back on

Car down

You forgot the bit about checking runout with a DTI and making sure mating surfaces are clean

Rough step by step:

Jack car up

Wheel off

Caliper bolts removed

Change disc

Remove pads from caliper

Replace pads in caliper

Caliper back over disc

Replace bolts

Wheel back on

Car down

You forgot the bit about checking runout with a DTI and making sure mating surfaces are clean

I've got a runout gauge now but dot 2 years I did without. Never had a problem.

Some copper grease or better plus other grease is handy. Ceratech for the brake pads the other grease I forgot which one is handy for the pins so they come out easy next time.