Headlight washers - Disable?

downhuman

I started a post on this some time ago, as I cleaned the car went out

used the windscreen washer once ( a squashed fly" ) had to clean the car

again as it was covered in "streaky" washer fluid from the headlights...GRRRR !!!! ... :thumbdown:

again as it was covered in "streaky" washer fluid from the headlights...GRRRR !!!! ... :thumbdown:

Ummmm ... Doesn't the headlight cleaner switch activate or deactivate this function?

I thought turning that ON would a) give you an instant wash AND B) link the headlight cleaner to the windscreen washer. Turning it OFF i thought disables headlight cleaning completely.

Or are you telling me the headlight cleaner is constantly active?

David.

Edited by Tinyflier

Ummmm ... Doesn't the headlight cleaner switch activate or deactivate this function?

I thought turning that ON would a) give you an instant wash AND B) link the headlight cleaner to the windscreen washer. Turning it OFF i thought disables headlight cleaning completely.

David.

There's a switch?? Where? That may explain why mine have stopped.......

If yours hase stopped working check the fluid level. When it gets low the headlamp washers are disabled to save whats left for your windscreen.

They are on all the time and squirt every 3 times the windscreen is washed. The button simply gives you an opotunity to squirt manually. :lol:

It is law that these are fitted and working on cars fitted with HID. So may fail an MOT.

Can you not just point them to the side and annoy other drivers.

If yours hase stopped working check the fluid level. When it gets low the headlamp washers are disabled to save whats left for your windscreen.

They are on all the time and squirt every 3 times the windscreen is washed. The button simply gives you an opotunity to squirt manually. :lol:

What he said^^^

Yeah prob a fuse job, although it probably shares a fuse with something else that you dont want to turn off, so might have to disconnect and re-connect at MOT time.

David.

There's a switch?? Where? That may explain why mine have stopped.......

On the panel in front of your knees just above the fuel flap release.

David

Bullet, best idea ever!

Will, come to think of it, there is! pop off the wheel arch liner on passenger side, look below the headlamp and theres a big bottle full of washer fluid with what iirc looks like a motor attached too it and an electrical connector.

mines already dead, im guessing motor is dead as i cant wash my lights (and it upsets me that this is broken) but you could just unplug this. Just remember to re-activate it come MOT time.

I have yet to find a fuse for the washers as that was what i intially suspected was wrong with mine!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Look in the small fusebox by the battery. There is a green plastic fusible link cartridge. Snip the middle fusible link of the three. End of headlamp washing. But have a spare to slip in for MOT time. Micra uses the same cartridge if you need a spare.