350z vs s2000. help wanted

Nero_slk

I didn't say it wasn't factual. I said the data wasn't comparable.

Different drivers, different days, different weather, different setups, etc.

Top Gear track also, exactly the same time, most likely the same driver or if not ones of equal abilities, even then and taking into ambient temperature it would only make perhaps for a few 10ths.

So what your also saying is, on a different day with better weather, better driver and set up the 350z could beat that time :stir:

Swings both ways being pedantic :yawn:

Those times will be the best on record, there is no way BMW would settle for having a bad time on their benchmark performance saloon car, the M3.

Incidentally if it helps you, those two times were set by the same driver Horst von Suarma.

The 350z is a damn quick car with obvious impressive handling to even come close to the M3.

Whether they are comparable or not, a lap time says very little of how a car drives. An RS5 may be quicker than a 987 Boxter round a fast Circuit but i know which one will be more fun.

Also, in the used sports car market people rarely stick to OEM tyres, rendering existing lap times pretty useless.

Edited by CrumbMC

I thought this was 350z uk, not, lets put down our 350zuk.

Of course a lap time says very little of how a car drives, but it does give you a very good idea of how a car handles/performance and there is no way a zed would post such lap times if it handled badly and was lazy in its power delivery.

This and only this, is the point i am trying to get across as it seemed there were negative comments towards its capabilities :)

Edited by Jetpilot

I thought this was 350z uk, not, lets put down our 350zuk.

Of course a lap time says very little of how a car drives, but it does give you a very good idea of how a car handles/performance and there is no way a zed would post such lap times if it handled badly and was lazy in its power delivery.

This and only this, is the point i am trying to get across as it seemed there were negative comments towards its capabilities :)

I find there a lot of zed tinted glasses on here. The zed is a good car don't get me wrong, its a great all rounder, that's its strength, but its weakness is that it doesn't do one thing brilliantly if that makes sense. Its not that its crap because it isn't. But sacrifices were made on the car to bring it out on a Nissan budget.

If track results are no longer a valid benchmark for sport cars then what it is?

Was going to ask the same question myself but decided i would be ..... into the wind and as Crumb says, its his opinion, which everyone is entitled to. :)

How do people compare cars on here then or form an opinion on its peformance merits:

0-60

0-100

50-70

70-90

1/4 mile

top speed etc

Personally i see track times as very very apparent or you would not have manufacturers so keen to get their new cars posting ring times (James Mays big gripe), but i guess its track abilities are important to me. Just as looks, fuel consumption, insurance, repair bills etc will be important to others.

Lap times do show a cars out right capability but nothing else. to say that a car is better because it's faster round a circuit is right in that respect.

To say a car handles better or is more enjoyable because it is faster round a circuit demonstrates a lack of understanding. If a car has so much grip it does mean it handles well. it means it grips a lot. these are two seperate things. Handling is how a car behaves when you reach, or push beyond the limits of grip. - Example. And audi RS5 has a lot of grip but poor handling. the car understeers which is a very unpleasent experience. good grip, good lap time, poor handling, not very fun.

obviousley there are extremes in each case. comparing a ferrari 458 against a Subaru BRZ then obviousley lap time is a factor. comparing a GT86 against an MX5 then judging them by lap time is idiotic.