Fast cheap and possible

Ruddles

For that money id be looking into an E36 328i Sport, had mine for three years before the Z, although mine wasnt a cheap runaround :lol:

Heres some pictures of it, absolutely delightful to own and drive, a real connecting driver/car to road experience once i got it to my spec.

Engine:

M50 manifold and big bore throttle bodies upgrade

Pipercross panel filter

Custom E-maps remap

BMW high power spark plugs (used on the E46 330 but a good upgrade for the E36s)

Transmission/Suspension:

Z3 5 speed short shift kit

Bilstein shocks with Eibach pro springs

E46 M3 convertible rear top mounts with Z3 reinforcement plates

Polybush lower arm and front anti roll bar bushes

E30 front lower arms

Heavy duty Meyle complete track rods

Brakes:

Two new front calipers

EBC yellowstuff pads front and rear

Goodridge braided brake lines

New front and rear discs

New handbrake shoes

Interior:

Retrimmed perforated leather steering wheel (double padded for extra comfort)

18 button on board computer

Dual zone climate control

Exterior:

Genuine AC Schnitzer carbon fibre rear diffuser (you wont see another E36 with this on, if you know what they are youll know how rare they are)

Genuine AC Schnitzer three piece 'ducktail' boot spoiler (again these are stupidly rare and ive only ever seen one other E36 in this country with one on)

Custom carbon fibre front splitter

Genuine AC Schnitzer type 2 mirrors(again extremely sought after, heated and electric)

Individual Avus blue paintwork (was a special order colour for non M3s)

New windscreen has been put in last year due to a chip

All the exterior rubbers have been changed last year (front windscreen, side windows and rear window also had a new scuttle panel trim)

Brand new set of body mouldings aswell

Wheels:

BBS RC041/042 with mirror polished lips and centre caps with the centres and bolts finished in Aston Martin Lightening silver, these wheels set the car off in conjuction with the body styling making it a very unique E36 i havent seen another like it. Tyres are Falken FK452 all round in 225/45/17 front and 245/40/17 rear

70798b6e.jpg

779d2243.jpg

18e7e07b.jpg

27a1b254.jpg

cbd5d7c8.jpg

96ea53e1.jpg

So, fast and cheap or practical and reliable then? :D

200SX, R33 Skyline = fast and cheap, for practical and reliable you cant look past the Scoob although a Leon is a good shout too :)

Not really sure why we need the full spec list of that E36 up there but I bought a 328 for £300 the other day, spent £500 on a few bits and it was really nice. A bit boring, but nice :)

For that money id be looking into an E36 328i Sport, had mine for three years before the Z, although mine wasnt a cheap runaround :lol:

Heres some pictures of it, absolutely delightful to own and drive, a real connecting driver/car to road experience once i got it to my spec.

Engine:

M50 manifold and big bore throttle bodies upgrade

Pipercross panel filter

Custom E-maps remap

BMW high power spark plugs (used on the E46 330 but a good upgrade for the E36s)

Transmission/Suspension:

Z3 5 speed short shift kit

Bilstein shocks with Eibach pro springs

E46 M3 convertible rear top mounts with Z3 reinforcement plates

Polybush lower arm and front anti roll bar bushes

E30 front lower arms

Heavy duty Meyle complete track rods

Brakes:

Two new front calipers

EBC yellowstuff pads front and rear

Goodridge braided brake lines

New front and rear discs

New handbrake shoes

Interior:

Retrimmed perforated leather steering wheel (double padded for extra comfort)

18 button on board computer

Dual zone climate control

Exterior:

Genuine AC Schnitzer carbon fibre rear diffuser (you wont see another E36 with this on, if you know what they are youll know how rare they are)

Genuine AC Schnitzer three piece 'ducktail' boot spoiler (again these are stupidly rare and ive only ever seen one other E36 in this country with one on)

Custom carbon fibre front splitter

Genuine AC Schnitzer type 2 mirrors(again extremely sought after, heated and electric)

Individual Avus blue paintwork (was a special order colour for non M3s)

New windscreen has been put in last year due to a chip

All the exterior rubbers have been changed last year (front windscreen, side windows and rear window also had a new scuttle panel trim)

Brand new set of body mouldings aswell

Wheels:

BBS RC041/042 with mirror polished lips and centre caps with the centres and bolts finished in Aston Martin Lightening silver, these wheels set the car off in conjuction with the body styling making it a very unique E36 i havent seen another like it. Tyres are Falken FK452 all round in 225/45/17 front and 245/40/17 rear

70798b6e.jpg

779d2243.jpg

18e7e07b.jpg

27a1b254.jpg

cbd5d7c8.jpg

96ea53e1.jpg

Not bad for £3000 Arran!

Yup :D

Drove both WRX hawkeye and STi blobeye before we bought ours. I expected to prefer the newer WRX but it was slow and dull and felt like a repmobile. The STi felt bonkers and mega and zany, and as they were the same price we bought the older STi. One of the most fun cars I've ever driven, although also the least subtle. You hang on rather than drive it unlike a Zed, but it's just different ways of getting a thrill really.

I'd rather an E36 than a WRX, but an STi over anything. They are very, very special cars, much like the way an M car isn't just a normal Beemer.

So if i could find an STi for a reasonable amount of money, say similar to that of a WRX, I should definitely take it over the WRX? I was unaware of how different the two actually were. Would it not be possible to eventually tune a WRX up o the level or even surpass that of the STi? I query as there is quite the difference in insurance costs.

My way of thinking is that I have never had a turbo car and I should bite the bullet sooner rather than later. Four seats would be a benefit also in terms of being able to take friends and family around easier. I love my Zed, but I am not prepared to wait and 'perhaps someday' have the money to turbo/super charge or v8 her at the cost of what could more than likely be a better car for the money, does that make sense? B)

Without a shadow of a doubt.

The STi has a better constructed engine, a 6 spd 'box and not made from chocolate, different chassis bits, better brakes etc. You could tune a WRX up to give similar power to a stock STi, but you'd need to do the gearbox and brakes too so it would be cheaper to get an STi in the first place.

Thanks, the ideal being that whilst the Zed is a great GT car and lazy boy, the Impreza has a bit more of the 'young brat' about it.

I see your point with the STi. At current, the difference in insurance (for me) between the WRX and STi is about £450 which is quite a large gap however, if found at a good price then the STi would then become good value as whilst I would initially be paying more on insurance to begin with, the cost of building a WRX up to STi standards would be more than the initial insurance cost you reckon? As I wouldn't be modifying the Impreza (possibly at all, although certainly not for some time).

I'll be sorting myself an advanced driver course whilst I do all this changing about, never did it with the Zed despite the huge gap from the previous car.

The feeling of acceleration on an STI is something that has to be tried. They really do kick you back in your seat and its very addictive, couple that with the sound and the gear shift beep and its even more fun.

My brother had a WR1 a few years back which is essentially a slightly tuned STI special edition and it was incredible.

Thanks for the input :thumbs:

Quick scanning has revealed Sti's can be picked up for around 4k which is pretty good. Am I right in thinking these have the general same service costs and check-up times that the Evo's have? i.e. service every 5k miles, etc ? Or is it less? How is it as a daily driver also?

Cheers!

Nope, same as the WRX so 10K or 1 year. That's for the newage cars, I'd expect the classic ones to be the same though. They're really nowhere near as highly strung as the Evos are.

My other half commutes every day in hers, 50-odd miles. No problems at all. :)

Cheers Dan. The news gets better then, the Zed only averaged 5k miles per year between services anyway. Interesting that they aren't as high tensioned as Evo's :thumbs:.

Sorry, had to ask...Fuel consumption compared to the Zed, general commuting? Fairly similar in terms of heavy foot also?

Cheers Dan. The news gets better then, the Zed only averaged 5k miles per year between services anyway. Interesting that they aren't as high tensioned as Evo's :thumbs:.

Sorry, had to ask...Fuel consumption compared to the Zed, general commuting? Fairly similar in terms of heavy foot also?

Similar. WRX will be better than a Zed, I'd expect to see about 28 on the combined. The STi gets 25mpg during the week but that's 80% motorway, when I drive it at the weekends you can see that drop into the high teens with ease. Same goes for the Zed though, so I'd say they're about equal. :)

Is it a turbo or supercharged 2002 JDM Zed Keyser? ;)

That's a very nice GT4!! Saw some of the proper rally specslast weekend at the Wye Dean Rally, quick cars!

Cheers dan, I was dipping into the teens with the Zed on a daily basis anyway. Must of been my heavy clubfoot :lol: . I think I'm fairly sold on an STi. I would only kick myself and regret it if i went WRX to play it safe.