Gearbox oil change..

WhackyWill

Just got my Zed back from the garage following a oil change to the gearbox and molyslip added.

Also changed the oil in the diff, gearbox feels a lot better in first and second and the changes are smoother.

Thanks to ZMANALEX for supplying the oils and to Hornsey Transmissions for doing the work. :thumbs: :thumbs:

My garage charge £25 labour for a gearbox oil change, so you'll be loooking close to £60 with oil and molyslip. I can't say it madde a huge difference to mine, but then mine wasn't that bad in the first place. Defo worth doing, especially as you're supposed to have this and the Diff Oil changed every 36,000 miles (IIRC).

Anyway, got all the stuff required from Alex, next day delivery. Anything that potentially prelongs the life of the gearbox is money well spent in my view! :thumbs:

Defo worth doing, especially as you're supposed to have this and the Diff Oil changed every 36,000 miles (IIRC).

There is no requirement by Nissan to change the gear and diff oils at all on the Z33, only inspect. The service schedule covers other Nissan models which do require changing, hence the confusion. As with the P2/P3 nonsense, the Zed has a viscous type diff which makes the P3 service absolutely identical to the P2. Notwithstanding additional service items at additional cost, i.e. spark plugs and coolant, which are changed at the recommended mileage/time intervals irrespective of which service is being carried out.

It is however a matter of good practise to change these fluids, especially as the gearchange on the earlier models has shown to improve with Molyslip and fresh, original Nissan, gear oil.

If you don't have it, you can check out the service schedule here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/61672-nissan-service-checklist/

I called a garage about doing it and they flat out refused to even touch the gearbox on a zed :(

Just out of intrest, how much was the labour on the job? Its should only be a 30 min job really shouldnt it

Who did you ask?

Just a mechanic who operates a garage from his home around where i live. He's all above board and a registered MOT tester but was rather rude to me about the Zed, which was odd as he loves doing work on the Mrs's Hyundai Getz. Il try the place you suggested in Colchester as i work there and it really has to fit in around my work. Kinda makes it hard when your out the door at 7:30AM and not back in until 6:30PM.

1 tube when you change the oil Pete :thumbs:

Ta I have a tube somewhere and some motul gearbox oil:)

When I next get on the ramp.

DIY all the way this year for me:)

Alex advises only Nissan gearbox oil, might be worth checking to be doubly sure mate :)

1 tube when you change the oil Pete :thumbs:

Ta I have a tube somewhere and some motul gearbox oil:)

When I next get on the ramp.

DIY all the way this year for me:)

Alex advises only Nissan gearbox oil, might be worth checking to be doubly sure mate :)

I will make sure when I get round to doing it to get it from him. Thanks for that!