BOSE iPod Hack Alternative

14N

I have an alternative solution for the common skippy, jumpy BOSE CD player issue, that I don’t think I’ve seen posted before, so thought I’d share with my fellow forum members.

This maybe a favourable solution for those that do not wish to remove their centre dashpod, removing the stereo, and start hacking away at the wiring and re-soldering. This method involves leaving the head unit undisturbed and in situ.

It’s also a much cheaper solution to buying a new head unit and also means that you still retain the full use of the steering wheel controls including the telephone functions.

Here’s a quick how to guide with details on what to do.

Parts required

A tape cassette recorder with built in CD player. (Look in your loft/attic/garage).

A blank cassette. These are available in either 60 or 90 minute format. (120 minute formats are also available, but quality can suffer). From previous experience, I’ve found the TDK D90 perfectly adequate.

Your favourite CD(s).

Here’s what you do:

Record your favourite CD(s) onto the aforementioned tape cassette. (This gives you the flexibility to choose not to record any songs you don’t like).

Another option is to record JUST the songs you like onto one tape cassette. Maybe have different cassettes for different moods or situations. Some call this song choice a ‘Playlist’.

If your tape recorder also features a radio, you can also record the current songs you like off the radio on a Sunday afternoon/evening. This does require a certain co-ordination between the fingers operating the ‘Play’ and ‘Record’ buttons on your tape recorder.

And there you have it. Once you’ve finished, you can listen to your cassette tape with no more annoying skippy tunes.

Ian :thumbs:

• Like 2

Cheers for the offer Jon, but it was a tongue in cheek post as you suspected.

I did try one of the cassette adaptors like yours for a while, but changed the head unit eventually.

I trust all is well mate? Hopefully see you on a meet or two this year :thumbs: