Advice on 3D TV.

stuarty

I'm looking to buy either a 50 inch full HD, LED TV or a 47 inch full HD, LED, 3D smart TV with built in wifi.

The first option is a Panasonic viera at £599 from Currys, the second is either LG or Samsung at £769 from currys. The LG s passive 3D and samsung active 3D.

I'm not sure if its worth the extra cash to have the smaller TV. Also is it really worth having a 3D smart TV at home?

smart i would be interested in but i think 3D is a passing fad.

The sales man said that if you don't have a smart tv like the one i'm looking at, its not the end of the world as the blue ray player i'm looking at can take a wifi dongle as well which allows your tv to act as a smart tv.

It is but most tvs nowadays come in 3d as its a selling point.

Smart tv's IMO will be phased out unless they get smarter :lol: Sky, Uview and bt vision etc etc are offering more catchup services inbuilt into their PVR's. I used my uncles smart tv but it was quite clunky.

Edited by Dblock

It is but most tvs nowadays come in 3d as its a selling point.

Smart tv's IMO will be phased out unless they get smarter :lol: Sky, Uview and bt vision etc etc are offering more catchup services inbuilt into their PVR's. I used my uncles smart tv but it was quite clunky.

Do you think i should just forget about the "smart TV" and "3D" features and buy the slightly larger tv for £170 less? I'm not sure if i would watch 3D as i don't know how good it is, also I've got virgin TiVo box which has got catch up tv etc.

Seems an obvious point, but have you actually had a proper look at the picture quality of all three of your options? When I was looking for my current TV I was amazed at how totally different the picture quality could be on two TVs with identical spec sheets, and how some TVs seem to be better at displaying certain source material than others. At the end of the day the primary purpose of your TV is to make pretty moving pictures, not network with your house, so make sure you've had a proper look at the picture quality from the sources you use the most before taking the plunge.

DB

• Like 1

Seems an obvious point, but have you actually had a proper look at the picture quality of all three of your options? When I was looking for my current TV I was amazed at how totally different the picture quality could be on two TVs with identical spec sheets, and how some TVs seem to be better at displaying certain source material than others. At the end of the day the primary purpose of your TV is to make pretty moving pictures, not network with your house, so make sure you've had a proper look at the picture quality from the sources you use the most before taking the plunge.

DB

You've hit the nail on the head, i think what i was trying to say was would i be better buying the better tv or the one with more features!

when recently looking at TV's i was told if you buy anything buy panasonic.

go for the best picture.

Yes, I had an identical choice last year and went for the 50" Panasonic Vierra rather than a 3D TV from LG or Samsung, much better picture. I'll look into 3D's when there is more content available and you no longer need to wear expensive 3D specs.

Mind you, I have a 36" Samsung in the bedroom which has a pretty decent picture considering it's not attached to an HD box.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

i bought a sony 42" LCD HD about 5 years ago, been really pleased with it.

but the guy in the shops said not to rule out Plasma as they have come along way, and offer good value for money. i asked what the difference was; in short he said:

plasma = great for fast action movement

LCD =more vibrant colours

but the guy in the shops said not to rule out Plasma as they have come along way, and offer good value for money. i asked what the difference was; in short he said:

Agree mate, ive currently got a philips 42 inch lcd hd ready tv and in bedroom a 42 inch samsung plasma. But i bought my son a 42 inch led LG TV and the led tv's give you best of both worlds.

Agree mate, ive currently got a philips 42 inch lcd hd ready tv and in bedroom a 42 inch samsung plasma. But i bought my son a 42 inch led LG TV and the led tv's give you best of both worlds.

LED is just the lighting source for a LCD tv.

that was really interesting i enjoyed that beavis. always thought 3d was a waste of time, i prefer more high res HDs tuff i find 3d glasses on top of my own glasses loses alot of the detail. i knew 4k was on the way but didn't know about 8k. i'm hoping my TV will last a good few more years and maybe when 4k has dropped in price i might upgrade then.

and 2020 sounds like its going to be a good year. :teeth:

I thought it was totally different technology. The screens are different!

that was really interesting i enjoyed that beavis. always thought 3d was a waste of time, i prefer more high res HDs tuff i find 3d glasses on top of my own glasses loses alot of the detail. i knew 4k was on the way but didn't know about 8k. i'm hoping my TV will last a good few more years and maybe when 4k has dropped in price i might upgrade then.

I'm sure in 3d everything is half the resolution e.g. 1080p is halved because there is 2 pictures? I could be wrong though.

I thought it was totally different technology. The screens are different!

Its still an LCD but its back light is a LED's. But remember the LED one will more likely be a few gens newer than your last LCD.

• Like 1

I'm sure in 3d everything is half the resolution e.g. 1080p is halved because there is 2 pictures? I could be wrong though.

I think if its passive 3D the resolution id halved but active 3D its still full 1080p as the glasses flicker open and closed, therefore each eye see's a different image. I might be wrong.