Tyre pressure monitoring system

jumping350

i meant the ones that goes in side the wheel/tyre and gives you constant temp/psi reading while driving

Yea I know what you meant :blush:

TBH I never lost a drop of nitrogen from my tyres over the time I had them, so don't really see the need or point of spending the extra cash on a monitoring system.

Obviously if you want to buy a system like that, go for it :) but I've gotta say I check them every week.

It only takes a couple of minutes, it gives you a chance to take a look at the tyres to see how they are doing, plus you may spot something else whilst doing it.

All this automatic stuff scares me.

• Like 1

Have had these on a couple of my cars and found them good for a quick check on startup.

I agree with others it doesn't eliminate the good practise of a visual check, although I suspect a lot of us... including me... aren't always hyper diligent in doing that each week.

Have thought about putting these on my Zed (and probably will when I switch to Michelin PSS) - it's finding a good place to mount the display unit that is hard!

David

I looked into this a couple of years back on my Zed, and was put off by by tyre fitters due to the possibility of damage to the sensors when they're changing tyres. That's not to slight my fitters at all, they're great guys, it's more that some of the sensors sit higher up than others (especially non-OEM stuff) and when they're removing the tyre from the rim they can sometimes be damaged, no matter how careful they are.

Given the cost of them, I kinda figured that it was just something else to break rather than something I would make a massive use of.

I bought this system a couple of years ago.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/wireless-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-390208?c=maplin&utm_source=endeca&utm_medium=endeca_search&utm_campaign=A55JX&utm_content=Vehicle+Security

The main advantages are you don't need to take the tyres off, it's a 5 minute job to fit them, they seem to be very accurate and they can't be removed without the special tool that comes with the kit. Disadvantages, well the sensors themselves are quite large and a bit ugly.

Pete

• Like 1

If you have a Head Unit that can take an RCA (I think?) feed, Steelmate has a TPMS that uses the HU to show tyre pressure/temperatures rather than having a separate display unit. I think this will be the route I go down when I junk the Bose.

David