Drove into a flood, goddam idiot!

Supratad

Gawd, I've only had the thing a month. Today my road was blocked by maybe a foot, maybe less of water, I've driven through double that in the Supra with no trouble, but I stopped in this.

I think I hesitated and backed off while entering into the water. The engine stopped but not with a massive bang that I might have expected if I'd hydro locked it. It wasn't high enough to get over the door cill but I had to step out and push it backwards out of the water and wait for the RAC, who I had to pay as they don't do stupidity clauses.

The air inlet iw way above, but the fan churning must have chucked water up inside. There was a small amount of water in the filter box, but none running back out the intake pipe. The oil on the dipstick seemed ok, but there might have been some spots of water on the dipstick.

I'm praying to the god I don't even believe in that I haven't borked it totally. Its in a the local garage getting checked over.

If there isn't much water in the box i wouldnt be too worried. my guess is the rear pipes were covered. blocking the exit, choked the engine and thats why it conked out.

if it was a low mounted filter and the filter element was wet or sodden then i'd be worried.

if in your case the filter was pretty dry (i'm guessing) it won;t have hydro lock. water has to get in from the intake side. and i doubt that you did.

Hope its ok mate! I used to plough through flooded bits on an old road in my previous Coupe to work most days (up to the to and usually covering half my headlamps), ...as it was worth £1500 lol Now though,, I get up that tiny bit earlier and go the long way... not worth risking it lol

Garage have done compression tests and say all cylinders are fine, despite there being some small amount of water inside. They've popped the plugs out, oiled the bores and stuck a heater under the ramp to dry it all out. They might try to start it tomorrow.

I noticed when I dropped it off that the windows weren't stepping back up when the door shuts. Hopeful;ly thats either some sort of reset or will jsut resolve itself with drying out. I best get some crystals from Wilkingsons to help any dampness inside.

Find someone with a dehumidifier for the inside mate, silica gel wont do sod all if you have anything more than a tiny bit of moisture in the air. Dehumidifier will work much better.

All the best with it, sounds like it should be ok :console:

Garage phoned me this afternoon, its all up and running. They've changed the oil and air filters, dried it all out and it all runs fine. They said they had performed "several road tests" which sounded a bit worrying, knowing how garages can be with the sportier car, but all in all a best outcome for what could have been disastrous.

I will spend the weekend drying her out with a small heater. Although a long drive with the AC on would dehumidify it, but by long I mean an 8 hour round trip. I could go visit my mother pre-christmas.

Two oil changes, one air filter. Complete strip of inlet side, compression testing and general drying out. Six hours labour was the biggest slice, with VAT

I've just had the seats out and lifted the carpets, it was full of water down there. No way of draining it but I sponged it out and have a blow heater in there now.

So a warning, even if you can drive through without swamping the engine, the body itself will let water in and that will sit under your carpets. Don't do it.