Car Suggestions

mbcx4jrh

So my 370z was stolen, I'm looking at around 25k back from that, and could stretch another 10k to 35k.

I need a daily driver, doing 100 miles a day, so something reliable. I have no kids, and have another 4 door car so dont need space.

Keen on pre reg deals (my 370z was an ex demo) to get price down.

Been looking at:

New Porsche Boxster

Camero (might cost too much in fuel there...)

Evo X

WRX STi

Don't like:

GT86/BRZ

Any suggestions? The 35k is a hard limit. I'd prefer something that is under warranty and wont break down.

I'm just trying to get some ideas... of course the option of another 370z is there and there isnt much (if anything) that looks as good for the price..

Isnt the scooby & the evo both 4 door family cars?

35k is a reasonable budget, are there any bmw`s you like the look of? 3 series coupe`s? BMW tends to give a lot of their senior management company cars which get changed over every 6 months and then re-sold on through dealerships - you can often get a good deal on these.

I bought my 123d M-Sport Coupe earlier in the year - list price was over 32grand for this particular car and I got 25% knocked off that for the car being an ex management car. 6 months old, only 3000 miles on the clock, so still had 2.5 years warranty on it. BMW also throw in free breakdown cover and the cars first 2 MOT`s for free on these cars.

I use mine for a 90mile a day commute and its turned my commute into something I really enjoy now.

You'll do exceptionally well to get a 981 for £35K, only one showing at OPCs right now and that's £38K. 987 Boxster and Caymans are bargains right now though, loads of them in budget.

If you don't mind FWD then the new ST is worth a punt, as is the Scirocco. That money puts you into a TTRS which would be a fabulous every day car with plenty of poke.

Tbh, I wouldn't look further than the M135i right now. It's pretty much the complete package at that sort of money.

4+ cyl, RWD/AWD ideally, might consider FWD.

Engine anywhere, MPG > 30 on motorway

Running costs approximate same as 370 or less

Something that looks good...

Really just scouting for ideas - for a daily driver is there anything a bit older that is worth getting? Any crazy ideas I hadnt considered? etc

Doing the normal searches through ebay/autotrader/car homepages etc..

thanks

joe

Personally if I was spending £35K I'd be looking at something tasty on the second hand market.

The R8 isn't isn't far off your budget nowadays. I'd also be looking at S/H porkers with a lean towards the 911 or a cayman R. A 911 Turbo would be nice, or keep it simple and go for a C2S :shrug:

I appreciate the R8 and Tubby running costs are high so I'm saying go for the 997 C2S. However, I'd still spend less on something fruity and spend the rest on fuel.

Edited by Leeroy

theres a thread on here that was very recent all about what you'd buy with £35k have a browse through that as it covers most interesting ideas. I'd be looking for out of warranty style cars, alot more bang for your buck. DB9, Vantage, maserati grandsports/grandturismos, TVR's, porsches, jaguar XKRs

theres a thread on here that was very recent all about what you'd buy with £35k have a browse through that as it covers most interesting ideas. I'd be looking for out of warranty style cars, alot more bang for your buck. DB9, Vantage, maserati grandsports/grandturismos, TVR's, porsches, jaguar XKRs

Well I was trying to stay sensible as I need it as a daily driver - doing 24k a year. But I guess I failed .. ;)

Well I was trying to stay sensible as I need it as a daily driver - doing 24k a year. But I guess I failed .. ;)

on a serious note if you look at the jag XK range, and stay away from the R and go for a standard XK (no supercharger) its actually about right for what you want re motorway petrol consumption etc. plus lots of comfort for doing the miles in. lots of kit. and plenty of style. and a V8 too boot.

Supercharged

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491778209/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/35000/model/xk/make/jaguar/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/ip52hr/radius/1500/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

its combined figures actually quiet good at 33mpg

or non supercharged

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491650118/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/35000/model/xk/make/jaguar/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/ip52hr/quicksearch/true/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

combined is 35 mpg.

these were just off the first page of highest price first, there were alot more for alot less, but it depends on how older you want to go. lot of car for the cash, and reliabilty is pretty good on these. more so than the aston or maserati

VXR8 -

Just about hit's 30mpg on a motorway.

Insurance and servicing are cheaper than a Zed.

RWD, unique and rare, epic fun to drive.

how many litres in the VXR8?

07-08 cars are 6.0l LS2

08-09 cars are 6.2l LS3

VXR8 -

Just about hit's 30mpg on a motorway.

Insurance and servicing are cheaper than a Zed.

RWD, unique and rare, epic fun to drive.

how many litres in the VXR8?

07-08 cars are 6.0l LS2

08-09 cars are 6.2l LS3

that will explain the slightly worse MPG compared to the 5 litre XK

There are any number of cars in that price range. I'd realistically be basing it on running costs. Not fuel costs, but actual ownership costs.

Also, at 24k per year I'd want something comfortable, screw the performance! If I wanted that I'd spend 20k on a barge and 10-15 on a weapon!

There are any number of cars in that price range. I'd realistically be basing it on running costs. Not fuel costs, but actual ownership costs.

Also, at 24k per year I'd want something comfortable, screw the performance! If I wanted that I'd spend 20k on a barge and 10-15 on a weapon!

Now that's an interesting idea, but I did consider this before - looking at my company car scheme for the barge and the 370 as the fun.

The problem is - I quite enjoy driving. So saving the fun car for the weekend doesnt really work for me. Using it every day isnt a chore for me, it's great!

Yes, running costs are more important than fuel - thats one reason why the Camero made it onto my original list - it would be brand new under warranty (as would a 370). It's also the worry about getting something out of warranty...

Missus did give a "go for it" when looking at a '09 R35 just now.. so it may be game over ...