GT86 Advert Banned.....

370Ad

i thought it was a crap add. I work in TV advertsing

So your the one to blame for all our rubbish adverts :lol:

It was something different and showed the car to be fun which was the whole reason behind the design concept. All car adverts these days are too serious and boring....

This advert or rooster potatoes have to be the best adverts on air at the moment.

The actual guidelines on TV adverts for cars are hilarious, what follows are slightly simplified versions, but are not exaggerated. Basically you can't say a car is good because it's fast, you can't imply that driving fast is fun, you can't imply that driving slowly is boring,and you can't portray driving as a competitive sport (which is odd, because it is). Note that all references are purely to the word 'fast' and make no mention of actual laws and speed limits (although there are other regs about driving recklessly etc.)

It's pretty insulting that someone somewhere thinks that because I see something on a TV advert I will immediately go and replicate it on a street. I might have done, when I was five, but then I wouldn't have been able to drive back then would I, so does it matter?

Obviously Ferrari and McLaren don't actually need TV advertising, but it's a good job because they'd be pretty stuck on things to say if they ever wanted to. "This is a 458 italia, it is extremely expensive, kinda pretty, hugely impractical and everyone will hate you if you own one. erm, buy it please?"

DB

While the whole story is a bit daft, it isn't as bad as people seem to think - the TV ad is not banned - the extended online version is.

I quite like the advert, but Toyota are onto a winner on this one - as someone said on PH, these are not stupid people - free advertising for Toyota - if TVR made an ad of cars purely going sideways and spitting flames, it would get banned in seconds, but would create a huge ammount of publicity.

the ASA only listen to the freaks that's the problem. There were loads of complaints when PETA had a billboard advert put up in Merthyr saying that letting your kids eat meat was child abuse. lots of complaints but the ASA sided with PETA. ive got their email response somewhere but basically they were saying that PETA can say that because it's their belief. This is a belief not upheld by any professional of course just their warped imaginations and yet the ASA gets involved in a car advert with minimal complaints. They are a total waste of space. end of rant sorry.

their is another governing body where all tv commercials have to go through to see if they meet all the guidelines before they can be aired can be very difficult at times and you do wonder sometimes if they know their own rules they set in place. If its not cleared by them then it wont get aired. So the Toyota add did pass but the complaints against it meant that the ASA acted on it

We once had to totally rework a commercial to the cost of tens of thousands because they changed their mind

Car advertising is a joke, most advertising is a joke. The guidelines are ridiculous very much like the majority of our society.

I think my favourite advert was the one from the 80's for the R5GTT where it simply drove off as fast as it could and said something along the lines of when it's that quick who cares.

I got a bit carried away...

This actually isn't a general question, but as you don't seem to have considered the fact that someone might want to complain about you rather than to you, I can't find anywhere better to write this.

I am writing to express my incredulity at the ASA guidelines for TV advertisement of cars. This has been brought to my attention following your recent ruling against the Toyota advert for the GT-86 sports car. Whilst I can't deny that the ruling complies with the ASA guidelines I find the guidelines themselves to be rediculous.

Banning an advert for promoting speed and reckless driving in a clearly animated non-real environment seems completely indefensible to me. Do you honestly think that because someone sees a car being driven in such a way on an advert they will go down to their local Toyota dealership, part with nigh on thirty thousand pounds, and then drive their new aquisition home sideways with smoke pouring from the tyres, making sure to knock over as many little old ladies as possible because the TV told them to?

That sort of thought process has indeed occured to me in the past. I think the last time it happened I was around twelve, and as I didn't have a driving license back then It didn't matter.

Your guidelines don't even allow an advert to show that driving fast is exciting. I'm sorry, but it is. It is perfectly possible to have very good fun behind the wheel of a car driving fast, but perfectly legally and considerately. I realise the concept of fun might be confusing to you, but I'm afraid I don't have the time to explain it right now.

Indeed I've managed to enjoy driving, often in a spirited fashion, for my entire driving life to date. In that time I have never been so much as stopped by the police (because I don't break laws), I have never collided with another car or object or any person or animal. It may also shock you to realise that I haven't actually been killed either.

When I do drive in a spirited fashion I do so because I want to, because I feel like it, not because someone told me to. Free will could well be another concept unfamiliar to the ASA, but you'll have to trust me that it does in fact exist. We aren't actually all the dribbling morons you seem to think we are, and we are all capable of thinking for ourselves to varying degrees. In the case of the advert in question I imagine the thought process would go something like the following: 'Hmmm, that car looks exciting, maybe I should go out and drive my car sideways down a pavement. Oh actually no I won't do that because it's illegal and stupid and is in this case being used as a conceptual demonstration. I know this because it's clearly animated and is an advert, not a compulsory instruction."

People won't forget that driving is fun no matter how hard you try. Perhaps you should ban car adverts featuring the automated lights, wipers, cruise control and brakes that make people think they can waft along in a little bubble of cluelessness because their car can drive itself. Inattention and errors of judgement are far greater causes of accidents than speeding, and yet so many modern car adverts centre around how their car can get on with the boring task of driving for you whilst you have a little nap.

Of course if you ban that as well then car manufacturers won't actually be able to include any useful information about their products at all. Perhaps instead (and this is a bit revolutionary I realise) you could allow car manufacturers to show and tell people everything that their cars can do, and then let people make their minds up for themselves? I'm sure you'll recieve some complaints from the few people who make it their life's work to ensure that nobody is allowed to have any fun, but despite this the world will actually carry on turning.

The ASA has a job as I see it. That job is to stop people lying in their adverts, and to sift out anything that is actually offensive (to more than two people). I really don't understand when the ASA decided it also needed to ban anything that might lead someone to think for a second or two about something that someone somewhere might find politically incorrect. Please, please just let people make their own decisions about what they should and shouldn't do, because from where I'm standing they're a lot better at it than you are.

I'll end by pointing out the tragic irony of an advert, which portrays a character attempting to escape the nanny state, being banned by the thought police (that's you).

I realise it'll probably make no difference at all, but if we don't try then we'll have no one but ourselves to blame when it gets even worse.

DB

Edited by DannyBoy

This actually isn't a general question, but as you don't seem to have considered the fact that someone might want to complain about you rather than to you, I can't find anywhere better to write this.

I am writing to express my incredulity at the ASA guidelines for TV advertisement of cars. This has been brought to my attention following your recent ruling against the Toyota advert for the GT-86 sports car. Whilst I can't deny that the ruling complies with the ASA guidelines I find the guidelines themselves to be rediculous.

Banning an advert for promoting speed and reckless driving in a clearly animated non-real environment seems completely indefensible to me. Do you honestly think that because someone sees a car being driven in such a way on an advert they will go down to their local Toyota dealership, part with nigh on thirty thousand pounds, and then drive their new aquisition home sideways with smoke pouring from the tyres, making sure to knock over as many little old ladies as possible because the TV told them to?

That sort of thought process has indeed occured to me in the past. I think the last time it happened I was around twelve, and as I didn't have a driving license back then It didn't matter.

Your guidelines don't even allow an advert to show that driving fast is exciting. I'm sorry, but it is. It is perfectly possible to have very good fun behind the wheel of a car driving fast, but perfectly legally and considerately. I realise the concept of fun might be confusing to you, but I'm afraid I don't have the time to explain it right now.

Indeed I've managed to enjoy driving, often in a spirited fashion, for my entire driving life to date. In that time I have never been so much as stopped by the police (because I don't break laws), I have never collided with another car or object or any person or animal. It may also shock you to realise that I haven't actually been killed either.

When I do drive in a spirited fashion I do so because I want to, because I feel like it, not because someone told me to. Free will could well be another concept unfamiliar to the ASA, but you'll have to trust me that it does in fact exist. We aren't actually all the dribbling morons you seem to think we are, and we are all capable of thinking for ourselves to varying degrees. In the case of the advert in question I imagine the thought process would go something like the following: 'Hmmm, that car looks exciting, maybe I should go out and drive my car sideways down a pavement. Oh actually no I won't do that because it's illegal and stupid and is in this case being used as a conceptual demonstration. I know this because it's clearly animated and is an advert, not a compulsory instruction."

People won't forget that driving is fun no matter how hard you try. Perhaps you should ban car adverts featuring the automated lights, wipers, cruise control and brakes that make people think they can waft along in a little bubble of cluelessness because their car can drive itself. Inattention and errors of judgement are far greater causes of accidents than speeding, and yet so many modern car adverts centre around how their car can get on with the boring task of driving for you whilst you have a little nap.

Of course if you ban that as well then car manufacturers won't actually be able to include any useful information about their products at all. Perhaps instead (and this is a bit revolutionary I realise) you could allow car manufacturers to show and tell people everything that their cars can do, and then let people make their minds up for themselves? I'm sure you'll recieve some complaints from the few people who make it their life's work to ensure that nobody is allowed to have any fun, but despite this the world will actually carry on turning.

The ASA has a job as I see it. That job is to stop people lying in their adverts, and to sift out anything that is actually offensive (to more than two people). I really don't understand when the ASA decided it also needed to ban anything that might lead someone to think for a second or two about something that someone somewhere might find politically incorrect. Please, please just let people make their own decisions about what they should and shouldn't do, because from where I'm standing they're a lot better at it than you are.

I'll end by pointing out the tragic irony of an advert, which portrays a character attempting to escape the nanny state, being banned by the thought police (that's you).

I realise it'll probably make no difference at all, but if we don't try then we'll have no one but ourselves to blame when it gets even worse.

DB

:yahoo: Brilliant!! Now here's a thought, if only two people complained and it got banned does this mean that two letters of complaint about the complainers will get the advert reinstated......................No? I thought not :surrender:

DB

Absolutely amazing! I salute you sir! :thumbs:

DB

DB

+1 awesome!