lumbar support needed

350Chris

Having slipped a disk in the last couple of weeks I am now almost mobile enough to be getting up and about and into the car again - this is excellent news as I am fed up of looking at the ceiling!! :dry:

Having just sat in the car and played with the seat adjusters as much as I can, it is still lacking lumbar support. There are rafts of aftermarket supports online, but all look pretty useless. Has anyone got anything in their Zed that they would recommend or do I just need to take a punt on something and see how it goes?

Sorry for the old fart type question - but it is support or the car has to go :surrender: and thats not happening if I can do anything about it!

I've had back issues myself Chris, and the best support for you back is to exercise to strengthen your core muscles, will make a lot of difference and hopefully stop you hurting your back in the future.

Thanks Toad - I am working on that and should be allowed to get back to the gym early next week for very light work - I just need to work on pacing myself which is where I usually struggle

Will give the towel a try to start with - we have the Herts, Beds and Bucks drive out this weekend - which I am keen to make!

I tend to echo Toad's sentiments on this one. Having suffered with back pain in the past (herniated disc at S5L1, now repaired), I know the agony and the need to feel like you have massive support in the lumbar area, but it's not always the ideal solution.

With the adaptive sports seats in the 911, I have 14 ways of moving the seat including lumbar support from the base right up to the shoulders, and I used to whack the support full max at the base as that's always what I was told was the right thing. It never really helped, so once I got fed up with the pain I started playing around with the seats to see what else could work. In the end, I settled on a far more upright position than I would normally use, and whilst it felt incredibly odd at first, and made me look like one of those dozy old women in their 90s you see driving bolt upright, it helped massively as I'd improved my posture rather than just supported the problem area.

The Zed seats aren't the greatest in terms of support anyway, so my recommendations would be to try and give yourself a better posture by moving the chair, and definitely purchase yourself a CG Lock if you don't have one already. Both of these together should give you the pain relief you require when driving.

Just Man Up...

Not even an offer to come and give me a rub down or walk on my back in your kitten heels?

That's a brave thing to say to SMD - the doorbell will be ringing soon :lol:

Bring it on...I've had one seeing to this morning, I could probably manage a second now :p

Just Man Up...

Not even an offer to come and give me a rub down or walk on my back in your kitten heels?

That's a brave thing to say to SMD - the doorbell will be ringing soon :lol:

I prefer to knock on the back door...

O Dave please its only lunchtime!!! :yuck:

With the adaptive sports seats in the 911, I have 14 ways of moving the seat including lumbar support from the base right up to the shoulders, and I used to whack the support full max at the base as that's always what I was told was the right thing. It never really helped, so once I got fed up with the pain I started playing around with the seats to see what else could work. In the end, I settled on a far more upright position than I would normally use, and whilst it felt incredibly odd at first, and made me look like one of those dozy old women in their 90s you see driving bolt upright, it helped massively as I'd improved my posture rather than just supported the problem area.

+1 to this. When I got my beemer, the seats had so many adjustments I just couldnt get them feeling "right". Every time i got in the car id adjust it and my back would still ache.

After speaking to someone else, they suggested a more upright position, like Ekona mentions, and its helped no end. No more back ache.

+1 to this. When I got my beemer, the seats had so many adjustments I just couldnt get them feeling "right". Every time i got in the car id adjust it and my back would still ache.

After speaking to someone else, they suggested a more upright position, like Ekona mentions, and its helped no end. No more back ache.

Ive had some back problems too over the last few years, in no way as serious as a slipped disc or damaged vertebra though so for what it's worth here's my advice. Probably more apt for Peter who had a sciatica problem, I've been told that it is absolutely critical in this type of case to ensure that your hips are not lower than your knees as this puts undue strain on the sciatic nerve, strangely this means that I have the seat far more upright than I used to ( a bit like Ekona) and guess what? No more back pain!!