Differing between real and fake Nismo kits?

Pixie-R

Apologies if this question has been asked before but I have had a search and couldn't find anything relating to the subject. During my quest to find my Zed, I may be presented with '350z with Nismo bodykit'. My question is, are there any ways to differ between a real and fake kit? How would I be able to tell between a very well fitted/finished replica and the genuine article? My reason for asking is that I don't want to be paying over the odds believing I've found something rare only to only find out later that its made up of aftermarket parts - well fitting or not. Just after as much info as possible really guys, may prove to be useful when bartering ;)

Cheers

Pixie-R

i cant imagine you can tell just by looking at it. the owner may have receipts from buying the kit. id keep them if id splashed out on a genuine nismo kit.

based on the price though is guess most people would go for aftermarket kits and have them fitted professionally. if that is the case i wouldnt necessarily be put off the car

the zeds with the factory fitted kits will say nismo on the log book.

A real Nismo kit will have a sticker on the inside of each section. IIRC its not removable, so unless the inside has been painted then you will see it.

I also think that Nismo kits are fibreglass and not plastic, which some replicas are.

Edited by DoogyRev

I believe the genuine Nismo stuff has a Nismo badge on it, however it's on the side you can't see so you'd never know without removing it...

Get it in writing, then if it turns out to be a copy you can sue the seller for misrep. Works for business or private sale.

Cheers for the fast replies guys! Am I correct in thinking that there were 350z Nismo editions and 350's with just the kit bolted on from the factory as an optional extra?

Nismo 350 will also have Nismo Exhaust, intakes and I think a number plate in the cabin :thumbs:

Cheers for the fast replies guys! Am I correct in thinking that there were 350z Nismo editions and 350's with just the kit bolted on from the factory as an optional extra?

Yes but the Nismo Editions were JDM/USDM only and rare as rocking horse poop.

Original kits like I had were Fibreglass which means they were prone to cracking. Mine has spiderweb-like cracking even when it was only six weeks old. Belive it or not but a good fitting plastic kit is more durable than the original kits so don't discount them.

Yes but the Nismo Editions were JDM/USDM only and rare as rocking horse poop.

Original kits like I had were Fibreglass which means they were prone to cracking. Mine has spiderweb-like cracking even when it was only six weeks old. Belive it or not but a good fitting plastic kit is more durable than the original kits so don't discount them.

Ah right ok, I can pretty much rule out finding a full on Nismo edition then. From what I've read/heard the genuine kits certainly don't sound worth the £2k+ ?!Will definitely be investigating the aftermarket route when I get mine ;)

replica spoilers don't always sit right wither over the boot, from memory the originals did not have a gap between the tips and the boot, where others are much larger gaps.

once they are painted and on from the exterior its nigh on impossible to tell if its a good replica. give aways are big panel gaps misalignment, and thin panels.

most people won't pay more for a nismp kitted zed over a replica kitted zed. on a monatary value its bog all. for most kitted is kitted. what will be the deciders is the quality of finish. and the quality of the car.

Sorry, fake does seem a but harsh, I meant replica. Just killing a bit of time and managed to find a price for a genuine Nismo V2 spoiler, £1320! http://www.nengun.co...ng-spoiler-350z

Rep it will be then.......!

Cheers for all the help and advice chaps.

:pmzmanalex: , he had some replica's that were a perfect fit. Not sure if they were V1 or V2 though :shrug:

TBH. the real deal is pretty hard to tell. unless you get under the car. it has a embossed sticker with a pencil number on it. i would imagine the price difference would not be much either. between a factory kit.

i wouldnt get too hung up on a proper genuine factory kit, as the replica ones can be just as good!

Its a bit like going out to a very posh dinner wearing a fake armani suit/dress. It looks real but deep down inside you know its not and being something ur not

nope i'd be sat there thinking, lol i saved a shed load of cash, and everyone still thinks i payed top dollar.

somethings i buy branded others i don;t, but i don;t feel hollow inside if i didn;t

Its a bit like going out to a very posh dinner wearing a fake armani suit/dress. It looks real but deep down inside you know its not and being something ur not

nope i'd be sat there thinking, lol i saved a shed load of cash, and everyone still thinks i payed top dollar.

somethings i buy branded others i don;t, but i don;t feel hollow inside if i didn;t

As long as it looked and functioned the same, no problem for me :thumbs:

..... but there are some exceptions......

Ah right ok, I can pretty much rule out finding a full on Nismo edition then. From what I've read/heard the genuine kits certainly don't sound worth the £2k+ ?!Will definitely be investigating the aftermarket route when I get mine ;)

As Sarnie said, the Nismo was only sold in Japan and The U.S.A. Back in 2005 Nissan brought one over to The U.K for the car mags to test out. The intention was to sell The Nismo in The U.K as well but the price was to be an eye watering £50k :scare: . BTW, The factory fitted Nismo body kit was £2495 back in 2005.

Pete

Plus one its not like getting a 318i and sticking an ///M badge on it :lol:

As Sarnie said, the Nismo was only sold in Japan and The U.S.A. Back in 2005 Nissan brought one over to The U.K for the car mags to test out. The intention was to sell The Nismo in The U.K as well but the price was to be an eye watering £50k :scare: . BTW, The factory fitted Nismo body kit was £2495 back in 2005.

Pete

£50k for the Nismo edition?! Just goes to show its not just Honda that's got a sense of humour! As stealer prices go, £2.5k doesn't sound unreasonable for the kit as an optional extra. Not so sure I'd be willing to cough up that amount though......

I think I'm with the majority when I say an aftermarket well fitted/finished kit is just as good if not better than the genuine article?