What car for a surfer...and high mileage

Lee-Bmth

Hey All,

Looking for some ideas and what better place!

I think I'll be selling my 350z :-( , its been sat on my driveway for 6 months, and used probably 10 times if that and seems a bit of a waste. Only use it when I'm about to clean it lol.

I ended up buying a crappy little polo 1.4 to runabout in for work to save on fuel costs (as Im all over the place) and cherokee jeep xj to put my surf gear (kite surfing stuff)... and well, I look at the Z and think "what a waste" ... I'd love to drive it as a daily but its just not possible doing the mileage I do and how much it drinks lol.

So I'm thinking sell all 3, and then spend around 6 - 8k on something that:

- Can pull a jetski

- Chuck my kite surfing gear in

- Drive around the country in a nice environment

- Has some beans and good on fuel lol

- Looks nice

So, I was thinking on the lines of:

Jeep Grand Cherokee (3.0ltr diesel) around 2006 model, the one before the very latest ..

Then figured, I could get an Audi A4 S-Line (3.0ltr diesel) and keep the Cherokee as it worth all of £500 and chuck my kite gear in that... but then I'm back to having more than 1 car again..

Not to sure if I'm keen on the BMW x5 (for the money I have) it would be the older style..

Have I missed anything obvious? lol

Cheers

Stick with an estate unless you really need the 4x4 and the ground clearance otherwise you just end up paying more road tax and get worse fuel economy.

330d or 530d M Sport estate would be choice. Quick, Torquey for towing, lots of space, reasonably fuel efficient, sporty looks.

wow, fast response gents! loving this!

I do venture 'randomly' up on Salisbury Plain's for a little off-roading now and then, the XJ loves it! So I figured, if I got something that did as well it would do everything I need.

Hmmm, I'm thinking the estate 530 M sport could be ideal... It's funny isn't it, when I look at 'estates' I think "family man, old...." lol. To be fair, this is probably everything I need. I shall look on autotrader and get a feel for these beasts above, cheers chaps! Maybe keep the XJ for my off roading toy, if the rust doesnt get to it first!

Stick with an estate unless you really need the 4x4 and the ground clearance otherwise you just end up paying more road tax and get worse fuel economy.

330d or 530d M Sport estate would be choice. Quick, Torquey for towing, lots of space, reasonably fuel efficient, sporty looks.

Good choices there :)

When pulling the ski do you need 4x4 for the jetty bit at all?

I'd say the BMW tourers would be good if no need for 4x4.

Outside the box - '06 Navara. 40mpg on a run, you'll fit every bit of kit you could think of in the back without taking wet stuff inside the car. Can do offroading too.

Must be a Euro 3 though to get that fuel economy!

True, the slipway I use is so gentle i could use the polo lol.

I think the BMW suggestions stand out. Ive looked at the navara, lovely beast but was worried it would feel tractor like, but they do look awesome. So to does the L200 Animal, but again tractor feel?

XC90 interesting, ill look that up... cheers chaps

I was going to say navara.......Nissan or not you look the bollocks.

Never heard anyone have a good thing to say about a warrior or l200......shame really as they're one of the nicest looking.

They're the gay versions of Navaras......

The latest Navara 06 onwards is a nice beast, in black, with the chrome bars in the pickup section! Nice B)

My worry is, pulling away / joining the motorway is going to be a frustrating task :lol:

I think I'll test drive one of these things, would be ideal to chuck wetsuit / board / kite all in the ass and drive off.

Although have found a nice BMW 3 330D Estate Sport in black... 188 miles away though.

This has been really helpful, cheers all

VW T1 with porsche engine, now we're talking!! that would scratch the itch and look the business lol.

Hear what you're saying ref the Audi/Volvo, but the one big green tick for me is the fact Ill still have a rear wheel drive car if I go for the BMW...

Edited by Lee-Bmth

I do like the look of the Navara a lot. Thought about buying one myself for very similar reasons! I would go with one of those personally.

Also, the Vauxhall Insignia Estate is very big. I've driven the normal Insignia and it's a very comfortable drive, also you get plenty of features for the price in comparison to BMWs etc.

- Can pull a jetski

- Chuck my kite surfing gear in

- Drive around the country in a nice environment

- Has some beans and good on fuel lol

- Looks nice

Subaru Legacy AWD ,all the above but sh1te on petrol consumption. I only get 33 mpg driving normaly. :lol:

hmm yeah think id give the alfa a miss, nice looking though. im not a huge ford fan, unless its the F150 lol ...

I reckon anything over 40mpg on a longrun ill be happy. Im actually impressed the subaru gets that much to the gallon!! interesting other suggestions, nothing has grabbed me more than the 330 sport so far .... lol

Edited by Lee-Bmth