Poppy Appeal 2012, please take some time to read this.

glrnet

This is always something that's always been close to my heart and it always seems to me that it creeps up on us and before we know it it's Remembrance Day again. The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month marks the signing of the Armistice, on 11th November 1918, to signal the end of World War One. Remembrance day is usually the second Sunday of November, the one nearest to 11th November. The Poppy Appeal exists to help ex servicemen and their families, last year £40 million pounds was raised.

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918, the First World War ended. Civilians wanted to remember the people who had given their lives for peace and freedom. An American War Secretary, Moina Michael, inspired by John McCrae's poem,"In Flanders' Fields", began selling poppies to friends to raise money for the ex-Service community. The Legion adopted the poppy for its fund raising in 1921 - and so the tradition began.

I understand that not everybody wants to contribute as everyone has their own charity choice, however, this does seem to be one that appeals to many generations for obvious reasons. This year, instead of just sticking a pound or two in the Poppy tin in the local pub or at the railway station why not got to the Royal British Legion website and contribute a bit more?

You can have a look here if you like:-

http://www.poppyshop...oducts.html?p=2

Thanks guys :poppy:

As you say, this comes round quicker each year

I'll be sure to get my poppy and wear it with pride as I do each year. If I'm honest I have no interest or real knowledge about the war (history was my worst subject at school :lol:), however the meaning of the poppy and the lives that are helped with the raised money is something I do take a keen interest in

If it wasn't for those brave men and women that gave their lives, I wouldn't be here so it's the least I can do to show my respect, and the same goes for everyone else in Britain

Edited by smudgedon

As you say, this comes round quicker each year

I'll be sure to get my poppy and wear it with pride as I do each year. If I'm honest I have no interest or real knowledge about the war (history was my worst subject at school :lol:), however the meaning of the poppy and the lives that are helped with the raised money is something I do take a keen interest in

If it wasn't for those brave men and women that gave their lives, I wouldn't be here so it's the least I can do to show my respect, and the same goes for everyone else in Britain

I thought that this might be the case amongst some of our younger members, it's not just for the 2 world wars that this relates to, the Royal British Legion support relatives of existing service personnel too, any way this seems like a good time to :bounce: this thread as the Poppy Appeal officially starts today and I'm sure we all know someone or the family of someone who currently serves. :poppy: Thanks.

Having just come back from seeing my old man who took part in 82 operational missions in WWII with the Fleet Air Arm (fortunately without injury) and knowing he lost a lot of friends then, listening to his memories is just awesome stuff but at the same time it brings home the hurt conflicts bring.

So the least I can do is help support all those who have been affected in conflicts past and present :poppy: