My first 350z

Hi guys and girls.

Just like to say that saturday i picked up my first Nissan 350 z [2004] auto/tip with 59,000 on the clock,after test driving the car which was at a dealers in Bradford and im from Tewkesbury it drove like a dream.

Anyway enough of the jargon as i have a question for those people who know far more technical aspects about the car and set up than me as i just want to drive them and have no interest in much else.

Anyway the Question is Tyres and are these the correct sizes as personally I'm not sure based on what i have read on this forum and a fair few others.

On the car are what was described as Jade R alloys 18 inch which by all means look nice and i presume these are not the stock size as i think if I'm correct in thinking that they were 17inch as this as you have guessed is a Jap Import,see I'm lazy and love automatic cars and to be honest I'm 50.

Anyway like i said on the initial viewing and test it was the best 350 i had drove and i had seen a fair few the previous weeks,when i looked at the tyre sizes they were as follows.

FRONT 235/40ZR18 95W

REAR265/35ZR18 97W

Now i have read on here that the correct size for 18 inch rims are.

FRONT 225/45R18 91W

REAR 245/45R18 96W

Now guys don't knock me for not understanding the dynamics and performance of this vehicle as i am only interested in the basics for safety reasons and have no interest in trying to service or do any jobs on this car,I leave that to people that enjoy that sort of work as i don't .

The reason i ask about these tyres is there are many hundreds of people on here that have had these cars for many years and know far more than i will ever know,another reason is on the way back down the m5 i obviously flawed it a little and it did have quite a vibration on the steering wheel at between 80/85 mph,after that it was fine.

I ask the question about the tyres because even though i don't know much those tyre sizes seem a little odd to me and could this be another reason why on one occasion on cornering the TRIP light flicked on for a fraction of a second.

Great site and once again i thank in advance those that answer my first question,basically talk to me like you are talking to a minor as technical jargon just confuses me :)

Hi Trance,

You are correct about the sizes for 18's, they should be 245/45/18 rear and 225/45/18 front.

The Zed's TCS doesn't like other sizes generally so this might be why you saw the light, so to speak :lol:

On the other hand there is a big ol' 3.5 litre V6 under the bonnet which is quite capable of spinning the wheels if provoked, especially if the tyres are a hokey make or low on tread :thumbs:

Hope this helps.......

Cheers Leeroy as i suspected they are not correct,at the moment they have a fair bit of grip so i dont think £1000 plus on a new set of boots is appropriate ,while im on the subject when i am ready for tyres what would you personally recommend mate. :D

You shouldn't need to drop a grand on tyres, I've always stuck to Bridgestone RE050's which are sort of an OEM upgrade - the minimum recommended OEM are the RE040's which I can testify are best used as flowerpots B)

A set of new RE050's should come in at about £700 IIRC.

Other's on here will be able to offer advice on other good alternatives :thumbs:

There are quite a few on here mate that think Bridgestones are not to clever and many are talking about Michelin pilot super sports and Nokian and MPSS.

Im all ears mate as i have not got a clue what to put on next and what i have to expect to pay,if someone tells me where i can acquire a decent set of boots for the right money in the Tewkesbury area then im all for the advice.

Had your Supra twin turbo GTO and a fair few others over the years but this is my first ZED as you lot call them and i am clueless when it comes to what to put on and where the best price to get the parts like tyres ext apart from the obvious ETB , National tyres ect .

I have put down the correct tyres sizes on various websites and continental are around £260 on the rear,obviously thats before i found this great 350 Site and all the information related to the car.

Any tips like i say I'm all ears............ :thumbs:

There are quite a few on here mate that think Bridgestones are not to clever and many are talking about Michelin pilot super sports and Nokian and MPSS

As you say there are alternatives, but the RE050's are indeed a very good tyre and pretty well liked as an all rounder. It's the RE040's which you need to avoid like the plague - the difference is night and day. I enjoy a spirited drive every now and again and am extremely happy to put my trust in the Bridgies :thumbs:

There are others on here who have more experience of other types of tyre on the Zed though, so it might be an idea to start another thread asking for tyre specific advice?

For quotes, the best place to start are palces like blackcircles and Camskill - I've also found that local tyre centres often match online prices B)

There are quite a few on here mate that think Bridgestones are not to clever and many are talking about Michelin pilot super sports and Nokian and MPSS

As you say there are alternatives, but the RE050's are indeed a very good tyre and pretty well liked as an all rounder.

They are?? :p:lol::headhurt: Very much a personal thing.

Just out of interest got any idea what the tyre pressures should be on these that i listed,have not got a clue and only know that normal would be 35 psi but these are considerably wider on the back and i think different on the front.

35psi is correct. :thumbs: