Help with V8 engine painting colours

rtbiscuit

I know this isn't the JAg forum i use, but the volume of people and ideas on here, plus the fact lots of my mates on here mean i appreciate the advice given.

Basically my car is soon to go in for timing chain tensioner change. and to do that, lots of the engine is to be dismantled so i thought it a prime time to tidy it up while its in bits.

This is currently how my engine bay looks

L-Jaguar-XKR-Engine.jpg

my rocker covers are sun faded from the vents in the bonnet, so i have a spare set which are in the process of being "refreshed" with a difference. was going to do something crazy, but decided to keep a little bit of conservativeness being what the car is, so they are being carbon fibered.

what i'm stuck on is what colour to paint the spark plug covers (in the picture its the bit with the word jaguar written in silver on top of the rocker cover)

as well as painting the supercharger (the bit in the middle that says V8 on it)

and painting the charge coolers ( the bits that say supercharged on either side of the supercharger)

colours already on/in the car

Car = anthracite pearl (cross between gunmetal and black)

wheels = oyster (light gold) but this might change come refurb time to either a dark gold or possibly anthracite/shadow chrome)

wheel centres = currently red and silver but when wheels are refurbed will be changed to these

mina-wc2.jpg

or

OG_wheel_emblem.jpg

calipers = currently grey, but will get a refub sometime so probably change to match what ever scheme i set up.

current idea

red spark covers or possibly polished aluminium ones

red supercharger

black charge coolers

oil cap to be swapped for a polished ally one

dipstick to be swapped for a polished ally one

polish up lettering so it will be silver on both the red and black

am i being to short sighted ? anyone got any suggestions or what to do some PS mockups?

thanks in advance guys, as i've been pondering this for months :blush:

think you got it bang on, I wouldn't do carbon on the rocket covers though, would do them RED and silver lettering. Allthough don't know what the carbon would look like.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right i've got it planned now,

this is what the rocker covers will be like once completed although i'm planning a more gloss finish

carbonrockercover.jpg

and this is the rough plan for the engine bay

newengine.jpg

already have an after market carbon airbox, but might upgrade for a polished intake tube to match in with the other bits in the engine bay.

i know the red isn't really unique but it fits in with other details that are on or going on the car, like the wheel centres, the original SC XKR badge and the colour of the car.

thought about going unique with the car, but at the end of the day its a jag and not a jap performance car. if i ever sell it, the car still has to appeal to the usual market.

with the engine done though i'll next be looking at sorting the body work out, then cleaning up the wheels, and finally sorting the interior. during that time i'll probably have to do the bushes, maybe change suspension, but then the car should be close to mint.

after seeing this

Finder-20120916-142639.jpg

i'm tempted to do the red bits purple instead, but not sure if it would work. if i did this i'd also do the calipers purple as well. which would mean changing the wheel colour from gold to anthracite.

i've been told the wheel centres i like aren;t as red as the photo. so i'm waiting to see the badge i've ordered for something else, and then i might colour match it to the background of that.

you get so close to making your mind up then bang, it gets changed lol :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I do like that white from earlier you know.

Are you keeping the wheels the same colour? What about coding it with them? Keeps a classy look and codes in.....plus they're gold so you's will be da blingiest mother in a anglia bruv

plan is to keep wheels gold, possibly go anthracite, but use the engine colour on the calipers.

The purple you photoshopped was more plum than purple. Looks great in a kitchen but not am engine bay :lol:

That purple above is better buy the purple in the zed engine bay is the nicest

As long as you stay away from yellow it clashed too much

The purple you photoshopped was more plum than purple. Looks great in a kitchen but not am engine bay :lol:

the photoshop is too light, the aim is for a dark purple, and not plum

+1 :thumbs:

Becasue the red in the original pic you gave me was so bright, it's very hard to get a dark deep pruple out of it, there isn't enough light information in the red bits. That's why some of it looks odd.

This picture was better imo

8NtT5.png

This isn't quite the red I was aiming for but meh, you get the idea. This is what i think would look better.

SsYk0.png