The milky way

Will370z

Great shot!!

Never really understood what the books were on about when they talk about the milky way, until whilst in Newzeland in the middle of no where one night I looked up at the sky!! Never seen anything like in the UK, tried to take some shots but only had a cheap tripod so had to hand hold....still it gave me a good excuse to buy a better tripod :)

20110427honeymoon1424.jpg

Great shot!!

Never really understood what the books were on about when they talk about the milky way, until whilst in Newzeland in the middle of no where one night I looked up at the sky!! Never seen anything like in the UK, tried to take some shots but only had a cheap tripod so had to hand hold....still it gave me a good excuse to buy a better tripod :)

20110427honeymoon1424.jpg

Bet that looked amazing in the flesh

Great shot!!

Never really understood what the books were on about when they talk about the milky way, until whilst in New Zealand in the middle of no where one night I looked up at the sky!!

Bet that looked amazing in the flesh

Being out on the water at night here is much the same. B):thumbs::boat:

You should be ale to see it anywhere really dark with no light polution. It flows in a band from horizon to orizon directly over us butif you get any kind of light polution it masks it. Find somewhere dark and it shines through and looks amazing.

We should have a star gazing meet :p:surrender: Seriously though I'd love to see this!

You should be ale to see it anywhere really dark with no light polution. It flows in a band from horizon to orizon directly over us butif you get any kind of light polution it masks it. Find somewhere dark and it shines through and looks amazing.

We should have a star gazing meet :p:surrender: Seriously though I'd love to see this!

Lol cool. Seriously though this is directly above all of us so should be viewable if you can find somewhere with no light polution. Must admit though ive never been able to see it until that location.

Holy cow, does he live on Mount Palomar :lol: Seriously though they are stunning pictures, I can't even imagine the equipment needed to get photos of that standard :scare:

Years ago I used to get that sort of view of the Milky Way but the light pollution from Deeside, Chester and even further away has built up to the extent that you just don't see it in its full glory now.

Pete

Holy cow, does he live on Mount Palomar :lol: Seriously though they are stunning pictures, I can't even imagine the equipment needed to get photos of that standard :scare:

Years ago I used to get that sort of view of the Milky Way but the light pollution from Deeside, Chester and even further away has built up to the extent that you just don't see it in its full glory now.

Pete

yeah it's pretty bad here.... i've thought about going up to moel famau on a clear night to see if it's any better... however I've normally had a beer so cant go :lol:

Either or Llandegla moors...any thoughts?

Stunning pictures in this thread :)

Anyone know of anywhere in the northwest of England that i could go to and see this?

I've tried stargazing from the roads leading up to buxton, but there's just far too much light pollution to see anything...

You need to go to Wales, or up to Kielder which has been designated a "dark skies reserve"- They have a telescope too.

Some excellent pics there, especially the nebulae.

The seahorse nebula, I like that one. My brother in law is into astronamy. His telescope is powered so it tracks and takes a pic every couple of mins. Then a prog on the laptop to overlay hundreds of pics. :scare:

HorseHeadMeade127ISO80024Stack20secs1edit1.jpg

Either or Llandegla moors...any thoughts?

Still too much light from Mold and Deeside and Cheshire. I'm 14 mile further out and we only have 5 street lights so a lot better.

I'm going to have a piccy play in a few months time.

Yeah Dean has got quite an impressive shed in his back garden. The roof rolls back and a huge telescope extends up and out of the walls to track the night sky.

All started a couple of years ago when my sister bought him a little telescope from Toys R Us - now its like the UK version of NASA there :)

Llandegla moors...any thoughts?

I'm guessing Denbigh moors would be the best place in North Wales. Light pollution from the south and from the Merseyside area would be minimal. Llandegla would probably be reasonable too.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...