Optimise performance short of FI

beani man

Hi Guys

I've been tinkering with the idea of FI but figured I may be able to increase performance without breaking the bank balance. So far:

1) Japspeed y/mid/back box

2) plenum spacer (Horsham)

3) velocity stack + cosworth filter

4) UpRev remap

All in all 298bhp. Any suggestions to maxmise cost effectiveness for power gains? High flow cats?

All advice much appreciated!

Adam

A good service always help I feel.

I think lightweight pulleys are great but not many people run them. Try changing the profile of the front 2 runners on the lower collector. HFC and decats are good too.

If you can get them done cheap manifolds are good too.

High flow cats are a must, more important than the swapping the exhaust for power gains as thats where the biggest restriction in airflow comes from.

What wheels have you got on? if you havent got some rays, get some of them on - reduces unsprung mass and the weight of the wheels, which gives better acceleration, braking, cornering agility and suppleness over bumps :thumbs:

High flow cats are a must, more important than the swapping the exhaust for power gains as thats where the biggest restriction in airflow comes from.

Is a decat not a better bet then .......... and therefore more of a "must"?? ;)

OP, you probably wont get exactly 298hp, things vary from car to car, TBH the pursuit of increased drivability is far more rewarding than the pursuit of power figures in these cars :)

I've got the 350z nismo GT with 19" 5 spoke RAYS. They're awesome (I think). Also got T3 rotas and brembo brakes all rounds (could have thought about better pads to be fair but they work well).

Won't decats fail MOT while high flow cats won't? Any suggestions on which ones to get. Thinking remap after?!

Do manifold upgrades increase power much?

I know what you mean re: drivability, I just want more umph out of my zed. Getting it remapped massively improved drivability. I enjoy it! If it had an extra 100bhp though :yuck:

I've got the 350z nismo GT with 19" 5 spoke RAYS. They're awesome (I think). Also got T3 rotas and brembo brakes all rounds (could have thought about better pads to be fair but they work well).

:thumbs:

Won't decats fail MOT while high flow cats won't? Any suggestions on which ones to get. Thinking remap after?!

Decats = MOT fail (now watch everyone saying "oh but I know a man who will pass me" yes but if you have an accident and someone is really really vigilant then your insurance will be null & void because you couldn't declare it... but your car and your choice

Do manifold upgrades increase power much?

General opinion is a very expensive & labour intensive job for very little gain

I know what you mean re: drivability, I just want more umph out of my zed. Getting it remapped massively improved drivability. I enjoy it! If it had an extra 100bhp though :yuck:

think about suspension or under cat struts or imporved bushes etc etc you will get far more enjoyment from that than trying to get anything over 300bhp out of your Zed

Uhhh, I think your MoT still stands even if the car is decatted, it doesnt magically get revoked. You wont pass without soem form of cat in, but its not an issue once youve got the ticket.

used to be the case, but now the act of running a car without a cat on (assuming it had one originally) is illegal in itself, so if you were stopped at a VOSA checkpoint (like that wpuld ever happen) they could fine you or whatever. You're still unlikely to ever get caught, but it's a lot riskier than it used to be now that the cat-swapping loophole appears to have been closed.

DB

You'll spend a fortune on NA tuning and tbh, not get an aful lot. You may as well have went FI if it's power you want.

Far better idea (provided you have ruled out FI) is to go for a set of good coilovers, good tyres, new bushes all round, and a driver training day or 2.

You'll get more from the car than a few thousand quid on NA power mods ever will.

I was just quoting power upgrades but suspension is a whole new ball game too.

SMD it's not that manifolds give little gains. They actually give one of the biggest gains but £ for bhp it's poor due to high cost :thumbs:

I didn't go FI as I like the car to be decent on fuel as its my daily but I can't stop tinkering with it. Plus FI is major money.

I think I'll get some HFCs and remap, and change bushes at some point, use summer/winter tyres instead of all weather. The advanced drivers' course is a great shout. Been meaning to do that for ages!! Everyone forgets about suspension, brakes etc. my zed is needing some tlc in the suspension department. Best suspension upgrades bushes?? If any single element. Which ones are people finding the best?

Thanks for the advice so far...

I think I'll get some HFCs and remap, and change bushes at some point, use summer/winter tyres instead of all weather. The advanced drivers' course is a great shout. Been meaning to do that for ages!! Everyone forgets about suspension, brakes etc. my zed is needing some tlc in the suspension department. Best suspension upgrades bushes?? If any single element. Which ones are people finding the best?

Thanks for the advice so far...

How much do you want to spend? Polyu bushes or coilovers, control arms, rear camber arms, anti roll bars, adjustable anti roll bar links and bushes for all of them?

With suspension it doesnt really work like that. What do you want to do and how much to spend. E.g. ARBs will make the car flatter when cornering giving you more confidence. Generally harsher when going over bumps. I dont have coilovers but I should have but with lowering springs the car is lower, looks better and handles better but again its harsher ride quality plus you need rear camber arms and front control arms to bring your suspension back to oem geo if you want that. ;)

Poly bushes would be your best bet but they will only move the weakest link IMO :thumbs:

I was hoping to spend hundreds as opposed to thousands. Lower springs cheaper than coilovers aren't they?! Thing is I have the nismo kit and tbh, already hit @*!# all the time (not in a girl way, just because it's low lol). Coilovers prObably a good idea if I want to spend that but extra no? + bushes. Ride is a bit wobbly at the moment to be fair... :headhurt:

Bushes ain't cheap either.

A full set of super-pro will set you back £800-900

On another thread you were wanting to go FI which will cost you £6k minimum (more likely closer to £10k) and yet now you are only wnting to spend a few hundred quid.

That don't add up mate.

On another thread you were wanting to go FI which will cost you £6k minimum (more likely closer to £10k) and yet now you are only wnting to spend a few hundred quid.

That don't add up mate.

+1 :bang:

Springs are cheaper but wont have the same effect of "stiffening" the car. If you added uprated ARB's as well you might have a similar effect but then youll have spent more than the coilovers would have cost in the first place ............ :bangin:

And believe me, you can go lower, mine hit a cats eye with the front bumper the other day B)

Springs are cheaper but wont have the same effect of "stiffening" the car. If you added uprated ARB's as well you might have a similar effect but then youll have spent more than the coilovers would have cost in the first place ............ :bangin:

And believe me, you can go lower, mine hit a cats eye with the front bumper the other day B)

Yours looks really high in the photos. Have you dropped it since?

That don't add up mate.

Are you his bank manager? :lol:

Neil - for some reason its telling me I canty post images more than 1024px wide even though the ones I have are ~950px ........ :shrug:

Front clearance is about 2 and a bit inches, its PROPER low ;)

Get some pics on photo bucket, it will look mean as fook that low. I'm sitting the width of an IPhone off the ground my sideskirts hit on Knockhill hairpin if I push hard, found out while annoying a couple of 911 turbos, alot quicker out the hairpin at knockers but not as impressive once I was moving again. They didn't like me that much that day lol. All down to the driver though.