Cheap thrills

Topcat

Looking for my downgrade after the z has gone.

So far my favourites are the Clio 182 and Celica 190.

Both cars appear to be almost the same performance wise, i'm leaning more towards the Celica on build quality.

Either can be picked up on an 04' plate with around 60k miles for below 4k, with the Clio being slightly cheaper.

Has anyone much experience with either?

Any other recommendations?

Can deviate from the below within reason.

No convertibles

2k-4kish

Lower than 80k miles

Less than 10 years old

Something that will put a smile.on.my face.

rx8, don't believe that they eat oil, get the compression checked and if you can live with the poor fuel consumption, you'll get a usable 4 seat, 4 door, 228 BHP (231 model), 57 0r 08 plate less than 30k miles for under 4k.

Handles better than a Zed, but doesn't have the torque for straightline stuff ;) Much, much better than a Celica :)

I'll wait for those that haven't owned one to now slate it :lol:

As I said, get the seller to have a compression test done, there are a few duds out there but mainly because at some point the owner didn't know how to look after a performance rotary car :thumbs:

There's a lot out there with 100k miles on them and only maintenance costs to keep them running. They also come with a very high level of kit :)

I've got a 172. One thing the Clio has in spades more than the celica or teg or any other Jap car is personality.

Mine has been super reliable and I've put over 40k miles on it. The do go through some parts like service items like mounts but if you can work on them they are silly cheap to run. I looked at the celica but I think they are nice but didnt really like the way the engine comes on "lift" Toyota V-tec basically.

Don't like the looks of the Integra personally.

Is there any difference performance wise with the Clio.172/182. I imagine it'll be barely.noticeable?

I'll have to go for a test drive first.

Looking at fiat coupes turbo's could be the cheap thrills I'm after, if theres many left with low miles. A future classic?

rx8, don't believe that they eat oil, get the compression checked and if you can live with the poor fuel consumption, you'll get a usable 4 seat, 4 door, 228 BHP (231 model), 57 0r 08 plate less than 30k miles for under 4k.

Handles better than a Zed, but doesn't have the torque for straightline stuff ;) Much, much better than a Celica :)

Most disappointing car I ever owned! V8 fuel consumption for hot hatch performance.

A LOT of car for the money if you can ignore that though.

Mazda reliability though.........all I had go wrong in 18 months of ownership on a 2 year old car was all of the alloy wheels needed to be replaced due to corrosion, the Bose catastrophically failed, both rear light clusters filled with fog, the handbrake leaver broke, the oil cooler pipes were recalled due to chance of catastrophic failure, it flooded and had to be taken back to Mazda on a low loader to have half the damn engine stripped (not my fault - body shop fecked it after I warned them about the 'rev the @*!# out of it' rule) and finally started to lose power between 3-4k rpm before I got shut. Also as a treat if you left it for more than 48 hours it would refuse to start and had to be bump started (after speaking to Lexx on here some years after getting rid he said I probably murdered the poor thing by bump starting it).

I hated the little whorebag though and it was the worst I have ever treated a car in terms of giving it stick.

Is there any difference performance wise with the Clio.172/182. I imagine it'll be barely.noticeable?

Looking at fiat coupes turbo's could be the cheap thrills I'm after, if theres many left with low miles. A future classic?

Yes 10ps :p;) . The 182 has a few changes like the better manifold giving the extra power aswell as a nicer exhaust system with 2 tips.

If you want the cheapest and fastest a mk2 ph1 will be the best but they are ugly. A 172 cup is the one with the lighter windows and no ac and so on. The 182s generally come FF and the cup was never as extreme IMO but its better day to day. Power is pretty hard to get from the F4R much like the vq but it revs hard.

Drive one its addictive.

Pm me if you go down the fiat coupe route. I owned one for four years. For the car I would say performance similar to zed but when on boost feels faster, a bit crashy to drive and suspension does not corner amazingly. Super car though and three k will get you a one of the best out there if you can take condition over mileage - they are of an age where most have fairly big miles on them

If you go for a Clio the 172 cup is easily the best one for drivability.

A friend has had all three, 172 cup, 182 cup and a 197 the 172 feels the perkiest and always wants to go.

The 182 drops out of cam on gear changes and has nothing down the bottom end.

The 197 is just too heavy.

The 172 cup feels even better with a lightweight flywheel.

If you go for a Clio the 172 cup is easily the best one for drivability.

A friend has had all three, 172 cup, 182 cup and a 197 the 172 feels the perkiest and always wants to go.

The 182 drops out of cam on gear changes and has nothing down the bottom end.

The 197 is just too heavy.

The 172 cup feels even better with a lightweight flywheel.

I wouldnt say the 182 has nothing on the bottom end but the 172 4-1 manifold rather than the 182's 4-2-1 manifold produces better low down torque and the 182 is better high up.

Out of cam :headhurt: ? Its not a vtec or anysort of system and dont say that on CS :lol: . The 5k kick is because of a flatspot. Get it remapped from RS tuning in leads or use a RStuner and it will smooth it out plus you get a rev limiter of 7750rpm.

But if its an all out track car a 172 makes sense. But if you will drive it most days then a 182 none cup might be better as you get cruise control, climate control, xenons, auto headlights, auto window wipers, 6cd changer and other bits to make you drive more comfortable. :thumbs:

Most disappointing car I ever owned! V8 fuel consumption for hot hatch performance.

A LOT of car for the money if you can ignore that though.

Mazda reliability though.........all I had go wrong in 18 months of ownership on a 2 year old car was all of the alloy wheels needed to be replaced due to corrosion, the Bose catastrophically failed, both rear light clusters filled with fog, the handbrake leaver broke, the oil cooler pipes were recalled due to chance of catastrophic failure, it flooded and had to be taken back to Mazda on a low loader to have half the damn engine stripped (not my fault - body shop fecked it after I warned them about the 'rev the @*!# out of it' rule) and finally started to lose power between 3-4k rpm before I got shut. Also as a treat if you left it for more than 48 hours it would refuse to start and had to be bump started (after speaking to Lexx on here some years after getting rid he said I probably murdered the poor thing by bump starting it).

I hated the little whorebag though and it was the worst I have ever treated a car in terms of giving it stick.

Complete opposite end of the spectrum for me, bought one new ran it EVERY day for 4 1/2 years, 4 massive tours of Europe, Bose played fine everyday, consumables only and routine maintenance, never flooded, drove it like I stole it, great track car, can be run at 10/10 on the limit, controllable, comfortable, fantastic spec, practical, rearwheel drive fun.

Only downside was the lack of torque which, only showed up on forays up the Alps. As I said, some owners didn't have a clue on start up/cold close down procedures which could cause flooding, leading to cat failure and not starting, though there is a well rehearsed routine for starting after flooding, so Lexx would be right in your case Ricey :lol:

If you are looking at Clios, look at GTI-6's as well, I adore mine - they are slightly bigger, more refined but still go like the clappers and handle like no-ones business. :thumbs:

Alfa GTV's are heading for that money these days as well and the RX8 has to be worth a look, although regardless of what anyone says they are heavy on the juice. ;)

I know they aren't Variable cam

Engines. What I meant was it drops out of the power band which in most NA cars comes the column resonance of the air in the manifolds in relation to the cam timing.

That's why you can move a power band around in the rev range by increasing or decreasing the runner lengths.

Has no-one got anything good to say about the celica?

I think i'd personally go for the 182, although i have seen this that looks a nice track toy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120973469152? ... 622wt_1397

The rx-8 probably isn't the best choice for me as i do quiet a few short journeys and from what i've read that's the worst thing for a rotary engine. If i change jobs to a further commute then it'll be straight to the top of my list.

Not a fan of the GTI-6 looks or the GTV, i do like the Alfa GT, but i think it's probably not quite got the pace/fun the clio/celica would have.