Car gone in for a new gearbox

bazk87

Glad the OP managed to get the problem sorted out.

With regards to the courtesy car, whilst the garage may normally give out micras id have expected something better for the fact you are leaving them to work on quite an expensive car you bought from Nissan. When I took my 350z 313 roadster in for them to look at the hood. As soon as they realised it wasnt just an hours fix, they gave me the keys to a brand new 370z Roadster they were selling on their forecourt and told me to use that until they fixed my car. No messing about.

Realise this is an old thread but my bought from new '10 plate 370z is now on its 3rd gearbox......... Vehicle has been off the road for a total of 8 months in the 30 that I have owned it. Nissan told me that there wasn't a single other example of my fault in a 370z in the UK.... exactly the same problem as yours.

There have been several members on here who have required gearbox changes on their 370's, including mine.

But in some cases its not always just the box, the clutch assemblies have also needed replacing.

And when my box was changed it needed an adjustment on the shift plate that was restricting changes between 5-6 and back (that I had done elsewhere) so It makes me wonder if your garage do know what they are doing?

If you let us know which garage it is quite likely someone on here will be able to confirm their ability, or otherwise...... ;) .

I think I had been you I would also have been pounding Nissan Customer Services door well before now.

Realise this is an old thread but my bought from new '10 plate 370z is now on its 3rd gearbox......... Vehicle has been off the road for a total of 8 months in the 30 that I have owned it. Nissan told me that there wasn't a single other example of my fault in a 370z in the UK.... exactly the same problem as yours.

There have been several members on here who have required gearbox changes on their 370's, including mine.

But in some cases its not always just the box, the clutch assemblies have also needed replacing.

And when my box was changed it needed an adjustment on the shift plate that was restricting changes between 5-6 and back (that I had done elsewhere) so It makes me wonder if your garage do know what they are doing?

If you let us know which garage it is quite likely someone on here will be able to confirm their ability, or otherwise...... ;) .

I think I had been you I would also have been pounding Nissan Customer Services door well before now.

I had syncro on 6th and the gear itself replaced by Desira in Norwich and the two new boxes were done by Glyn Hopkins in Romford. Had a whole new clutch assembly as well on the latest. Customer services simply didn't want to know, every email I get from them including from the M.D's office states that they're very disappointed as 370s are usually so reliable and that they've never encountered the problem before. Nissan Customer Services have become well acquainted with me!

Sadly the vehicle has developed yet more faults recently so I will be selling the vehicle after they've been rectified this time around. Such a shame as potentially a great vehicle and when its actually been on the road it has been fantastic.

Lying feckwits, don't they think places like this exist. And :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome. I am genuinely shocked to hear that I am not the only one with these problems. All along i have been assured that I am a unique case, what a disgrace!

I am fed up to the back teeth of Nissan and their customer services, this vehicle has cost me literally thousands in lost work days, parking permits for courtesy cars and hire cars when courtesy cars haven't been available. How can Nissan believe that a brand new £32k vehicle spending months off the road is acceptable?

We have found that dealer support varies widely - there are some which get the five stars but sadly they are few and far between. Even some of the HPC centres have been found wanting.

Have a look here and you will see reports from members about the gearbox issues

http://www.350z-uk.c...arranty-issues/

and then here about dealer feedback and feel free to add your experience about Desira in Norwich and Glyn Hopkins in Romford.

http://www.350z-uk.c...es-370-related/

• 2 weeks later...

Is this gearbox problem only on the 370Z..I know my 350Z gearbox is a bit sticky when cold from 1st to 2nd but that's

a common problem on all 350Z ? :scare: :scare:

I got rid of my 350 due to it's gearbox problems. I've yet to encounter any problems in my 370. It's very much luck of the draw. Nissans seems notorious for their gearboxes.

Had the gearbox changed a good while back now and have been happy enough with the new one. Left it back in for them to have a look at it about 2 months ago as I experience a bit of a crunch going from 1st to 2nd but they said there's nothing wrong. It's ok when it's warm but a bit disconcerting when cold. Still got a good while left under parts warranty (4 months) so I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Loving the car, especially in this dry weather. Just keep getting tempted by a gtr especially when you look at the 09 low mileage prices!

As it's a problem that Nissan has a duty to fix as the car is under warranty. As I paid quite alot of money for the car and pay alot of money for insurance and tax than those in Nissan's more usual vehicles I guess I expected to be treated a bit better considering I could be a valuable customer. I guess I was wrong in that assumption but if I drove a Micra, I'd have no issues having it as my courtesy car. Guess some people just have different expectations.

You are totally right.....

Like you I bought my Z new I expected good service from Nissan. Sadly my experience is similar to yours (poor). You spent hard earned money on one of their prestige models and regardless of "it's only a day get over it" I believe you should be given a car of the same level or above when their product has failed and is in for repair. A dealership represents the marque no matter where you bought the car. You should have high expectation of them.

I'm certain the dealership manager will be driving round in a Z or a GTR, he won't be using it during the day, so they should have given you that. If your car is then not ready at the end of the day, that's their look out. I'm certain it would be a good incentive for the techs to get it done. Good service is not difficult, they didn't even know you we're booked. Total garbage. I would be more worried they know what they're about from you description.

My only advice is try to look for Dealerships who know the marque and are Nissan sports dealers. Look on here for their recommendations. Always ask if they have a 350z trained tech. Oh.... And never let them wash it.

• 1 month later...

How common is this gearbox problem and what is the symptoms?

My car is 4mths old, and did just over 4k miles. The gearbox is crunching at times (despite the clutch being fully depressed), and at times I am starting to feel I really need to force the stick into position. It's not a constant problem, but happens occasionally. When it does occur, sometimes I miss my change now.

I'm concerned about it.

How common is this gearbox problem and what is the symptoms?

My car is 4mths old, and did just over 4k miles. The gearbox is crunching at times (despite the clutch being fully depressed), and at times I am starting to feel I really need to force the stick into position. It's not a constant problem, but happens occasionally. When it does occur, sometimes I miss my change now.

I'm concerned about it.

Go back to the dealer and report - and I would suggest if they are not HPC then to take it one of those who are as they are more likely to have the knowledge to advise. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I took my car in to get looked at, and sods law the gearbox has been absolutely fine ever since.

Although I am now getting a horrid creaking from the rear suspension when I get out the car.

Edited by Badgeronimous

I took my car in to get looked at, and sods law the gearbox has been absolutely fine ever since.

Although I am now getting a horrid creaking from the rear suspension when I get out the car.

Sounds like you have been knocking back too many cakes matey ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm actually selling my car due to the customer service you get from Nissan dealerships. It's horrible buying a sports car and just not getting the correct treatment. Took my car to a main dealership in London near the A1 (I won't name and shame but it's very near a TGIs).

Took ages to service my car, tried to wash the car even though I told them not to wash it (plus they were going to wash it BEFORE my car was worked on!?). Received the car back with a kerb mark to one of the alloys that was clearly not there from hitting the kerb as there is no damage to the tires, I reckon they dropped it on the floor...

Plus I'd asked for stickers to be supplied and replaced to which I was told yes sure thing. 5 weeks later not heard a thing even after chasing it up.

Back on topic, I drove a demonstrator 370Z and the gearbox felt like someone had attempted to use it without using the clutch for it's life. I only bought mine after ensuring that mine didn't feel like that. I wonder if the gearboxes are a bit of a week point on these cars?