Ticking Engine Noise

narcotix

Just wanted to run this past you guys in case you've got this issue with your Zed also ...

Over the past few months my Zed has developed a bit of a ticking sound from the engine .. I'm guessing it's the tappets .. but just wanted to get some other opinions on it..

The car still drives fine, it's just really annoying to hear the ticking sound when I'm stationary at traffic lights etc..

My Zed is a 2004 with 60k on the clock if that helps ..

Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies..

I've just checked the fuel regulator at the back of the engine..

It's hard to tell if there is a pulsing in the pipe but it does sound louder in that area..

How much are the fuel regulators.. If they're not too expensive then maybe it's something I could do anyway..

:thumbs:

Thanks for the replies..

I've just checked the fuel regulator at the back of the engine..

It's hard to tell if there is a pulsing in the pipe but it does sound louder in that area..

How much are the fuel regulators.. If they're not too expensive then maybe it's something I could do anyway..

Plenty preowned in stock and I think that I may have a couple of new ones as well :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if I can help you further :thumbs:

Alex :)

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get hold of a new Fuel Pressure regulator off eBay and swapped it over yesterday with a bit of help (Thanks CS!)

However, it's not made any difference to the ticking sound ...

I know there are two Fuel Pressure regulators and I've only changed the one at the back of the engine as that's where the noise is louder ... Is it worth changing the other one as well ... or is it more likely to be something else?

Thanks for the help guys ...

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update the thread with the latest developments ...

As changing the Fuel Pressure Regulator didn't resolve the ticking issue, I decided to have an oil change done in case this made any difference ..

When the old oil was drained, it was quite low .. I never saw the oil light on the dash come up, but the oil pressure gauge was behaving strangely in the mornings...

Anyway, even after the oil change, the ticking noise is still there ..

So any ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

No shards or filings in the oil as far as I'm aware ..

I've only changed one Fuel Pressure Regulator (the one at the back) and that made no difference ...

It doesnt sound like it's coming from the other one ... the ticking noise is loudest towards the back of the engine ...

• 5 months later...

Alright guys...

I'm still having issues with the ticking/tappety sound coming from the engine and was wondering what would be the best way to have it diagnosed/rectified ...

Has anyone else had a similar problem and had any success in resolving it?

Thanks!

Hey

Mine sounds like that. I read around about it when I 1st bought the car but I think its normal. I found alot of stuff about fuel lines etc as well but all the stuff I read seemed to indicate that it is not an issue apart from the noise being abit annoying. Out of interest what happens when you push the clutch in? does it get quieter?

Matt

I know your saying a ticking noise and its hard to tell from the video clip but check the exhaust manifolds and below to make sure there not blowing.

Sometimes a small crack in a manifold can sound very strange.

Hey

Mine sounds like that. I read around about it when I 1st bought the car but I think its normal. I found alot of stuff about fuel lines etc as well but all the stuff I read seemed to indicate that it is not an issue apart from the noise being abit annoying. Out of interest what happens when you push the clutch in? does it get quieter?

Matt

Matt,

It's really annoying as the noise only started happening around 8-9 months ago ... It doesn't get any quieter with the clutch in, which leads me to believe it's not clutch or Flywheel related ...

Hey

Matt

Matt,

It's really annoying as the noise only started happening around 8-9 months ago ... It doesn't get any quieter with the clutch in, which leads me to believe it's not clutch or Flywheel related ...

Mine does the same, I just had my clutch and flywheel changed (not to try and fix this, just because they needed doing) and it's made no difference, so it's not either of those.

I find the most annoying bit is when people point it out to you :lol: "mate your car sounds like it needs an oil change" "Nope, it's not that the oil was changed a 100 miles ago"

Mine does the same, I just had my clutch and flywheel changed (not to try and fix this, just because they needed doing) and it's made no difference, so it's not either of those.

I find the most annoying bit is when people point it out to you :lol: "mate your car sounds like it needs an oil change" "Nope, it's not that the oil was changed a 100 miles ago"

Don't worry mate I know the feeling ... I've had friends say the similar things about my Zed ... :angry:

I really want to get it sorted but not at a ridiculously high price!

My Zed did exactly the same, there's only one cure i'm afraid, you will have to supercharge it.

and instead of an annoying ticking sound you will have an annoying sucking sound instead :wacko: