Long shot but anyone available to help?

Arran

Hi guys

I know its a long shot with everyone at work and busy in general, but i was wondering if anyone would be kind enough tomorrow around 11am to come and view a Z with me, theres beer money in it if so required. Just wanted a specifically trained 2ns pair of eyes on it.

The car is in Chelmsford, Essex if anyones local to it

Cheers all

Arran

Pretty reasonable to be fair from what I can see.

Had its nose badge changed from Nissan to a Zed but can't see any forum stickers in it.

Priced to be budged a little? *said in the voice of Mike Brewer* Go one.......7 graaaaaaaaand cash, today.......I'll take it off your haaaaaaaaands.

Thats what im taking tomorrow 7k in cash B) he'll take it im sure and then i can go and get it checked out by Nissan on the way home and hope all is good :drunk:

I find the price perfectly reasonable and the colour, spec etc perfect for me

Not claiming to be an expert, but have driven mine and several other zeds for 3 years now, been there done that with almost all typical problems that you can get with them and have heard the noises when things go wrong. Can't do anything during the day, but if you get the car & you're anywhere near Sevenoaks in the evening, I can give the car a once over for you.

Theres a Nissan dealer a mile away from the guys house, thought it would be worth getting it checked before a longish drive home. Otherwise i can stop off at Nissan in Croydon where forum gets discount for a check up and maybe a P1 service

If you're coming south on the M25 I'd phone Abbey Motorsport at Oxted and take it in there, they sometimes have afternoon slots :thumbs:

Theres a Nissan dealer a mile away from the guys house, thought it would be worth getting it checked before a longish drive home. Otherwise i can stop off at Nissan in Croydon where forum gets discount for a check up and maybe a P1 service

Good luck with the car, may be just in time for the meet at the weekend :teeth:

Bit of advice though. I remember when the salesman said to me "you do know when i turn this key you will fall in love" he was bang on the money, but dont let the noise and the rush go to your head. If you see anything wrong with the car or any niggles then id walk away or get a big discount.

Wait for the right car dont just accept the first one you see as there are lots of gems out there.

I saw one on sunday and it looked great in the photos until I got there took it for a drive to get the hang of what they hold feel like but didn't buy it as it was a bit rough. I've got all the time in the world to buy one so no rush but I am after a blue one :lol: if this one isn't right then il leave it but the owner sounds decent and it looks pretty imacculare in the advert so I really hope it's the one. Time will tell :boxing:

Busy with work during the week, but could happily make some time on the weekend if you're still stuck.

I'm in the Redbridge so not sure if that's good for you or not, but having bought my first Z only 4 months ago, I know how much I wanted someone who knew a bit more about it than I did to take a look.

Hope it goes well :thumbs:

Ah mate that would be legendary! It's down in whittle if your familiar with the area, il be there for about 11am, really hoping its a nice one lol, it won't be putting you well out the way though would it mate? Wouldn't want to interupt your day fella

Ah mate that would be legendary! It's down in whittle if your familiar with the area, il be there for about 11am, really hoping its a nice one lol, it won't be putting you well out the way though would it mate? Wouldn't want to interupt your day fella

can't make any promises, its about 60 miles away from me, got a few things on tomorrow.

Ah mate that's further than I have to travel I don't want to make you rush about everywhere fella, maybe instead you could pm with some info and tips in what to look for so at least I'm more clued up, things like listening to the engine on start up etc, that would just as appreciated mate. I've read the buyers guide but you can never have to much info B)

basic checks:

1. take the oil cap off, is there any milky residue bit like mayo - if so then possible gasket on the way out.

2. check the dipstick, how much oil is in the engine. - if its near empty could be a sign of poor care or oil burning or both

3. check panel gaps, are they all pretty even. do they line up etc. any abnormalities could mean crash damage

4. similiar to above check paint i.e. is it the same all round or is there any inconsistency's could be a sign of repair.

5. push down on all 4 corners, suspension should bounce slightly, if it keeps bouncing, shocks might be going.

6. check tyre wear, have they worn evenly, if not then there are camber issues.

7. put all the lights on check all bulbs work etc.

Engine checks:

1 does it turn over first time or does it struggle, if struggles could be battery or alternator

2. are there any unusual sounds, clicks whines clonks etc

in cabin:

1. check all buttons work, seats move, aircon comes on, if it has power to it does it do what its meant to.

2. with engine off first. try all the gears, do they slip in easily,

3. conditon of seats etc, does the wear look like it matches the mileage. (if the car says 30k but the seats look like they've been to the moon and back then car might ahve been clocked.

on the drive:

1. hard acceleration, does it pull well or are their hesitations

2. do some gear drops. change down from 5th to 3rd 6th to 4th 3rd to 1st. etc, this checks the gear box and syncro's any issues should show themselves.

3. get car to 30-40 mph in 3rd, then drop in to 6th and flaw the pedal. if clutch is good the engine should struggle but slowly accelerate. if clutch is bad, the revs will suddenly jump up like your reving it.

4. check it goes it to reverse.

drive the car at a range of speeds, see if any strange noises.

5. take the car up to 70 80mph, any vibrations through the steering, will show if wheels need balancing etc.

6. a good drive should show up things like crabbing (been in a crash) is steering tight etc.

Zed specific:

1. with the door open, get the car to pull forward slightly, and stop, if you hear any clicking means the car has the clicky axle problem. not a major issue, just annoying. and relatively easy to fix.

2. does the bose skip under use with a CD

if any of those points come up it should give you bargaining room for discounts etc. hope that helps

Excellent thanks for that mate, really appreciated. Is the clicking distinctive enough or do you really have to listen for it? They seem really reliable with not much to look for! Can't say the same for BMW lol

Excellent thanks for that mate, really appreciated. Is the clicking distinctive enough or do you really have to listen for it? They seem really reliable with not much to look for! Can't say the same for BMW lol

with the doors or windows open should be audible over the engine.

main issues with the Zed are gear box and burning oil. or crash damamge.

crash damage isn't so major if its been repaired properly etc

gear box is not horrific as for about 1k you can have new clutch etc sorted.

but the oil burning is starting to be an issue for some. if its burning lots of oil you could be looking at a rebuild, which isn;t cheap.