Falken 452's to be discontinued

oj121

I replaced the fronts on mine just this weekend. Wonder what the stance world will think as the 452 is the clear favorite out there.

If anyone is interested in the construction of a 452 :lol: I had to cut mine off the wheel.

563314_10151712259907334_1402675018_n.jpg

Why did you replace that? Doesn't look very worn!

Can't on the Porker, but I may give them a go on the MX-5 if I decide to move away from ultra cheapo rubber on it. Will probably need a new set after another trackday tbh :blush:

I don't hate Falken tyres, and I don't even hate the 452s on the right application, I just don't feel they're a suitable tyre for a 1500kg 300bhp sports coupe. I've even used the MX-5 as an example of a car the 452 would be appropriate for in the past, long before I owned one. If the 453 is a significant improvement, then I'll be as happy as anyone. :)

Can't on the Porker, but I may give them a go on the MX-5 if I decide to move away from ultra cheapo rubber on it. Will probably need a new set after another trackday tbh :blush:

I don't hate Falken tyres, and I don't even hate the 452s on the right application, I just don't feel they're a suitable tyre for a 1500kg 300bhp sports coupe. I've even used the MX-5 as an example of a car the 452 would be appropriate for in the past, long before I owned one. If the 453 is a significant improvement, then I'll be as happy as anyone. :)

its better than the toyo's but everyone seems to think they are gods gift to jap rubber. personally i've found the 452's are alot better than the T1R's

Falken's are a medium/budget priced tyre. So you will get a medium/budget quality tyre in return for your cash.

However for the money I think they are very good. Maybe they cant compete grip/wet/stopping distances wise compared to something like a Michelin PS3 but then again you are only paying half the price. Falken's are a harder compound and for me that's great as they are hard wearing.

452's being discontinued is a good thing. Average tyre. One wonders if the 453 will be any better. Much like RE040 and 050, same again in my opinion. Average.

I can't agree at all. In 50k miles of driving the Zed on 452's I have never had any grip problems with them including the 2 nasty Winters with lots of snow. For the money they can't be beaten. They also wear extermely well.

452's being discontinued is a good thing. Average tyre. One wonders if the 453 will be any better. Much like RE040 and 050, same again in my opinion. Average.

I can't agree at all. In 50k miles of driving the Zed on 452's I have never had any grip problems with them including the 2 nasty Winters with lots of snow. For the money they can't be beaten. They also wear extermely well.

I think this is the point so many people miss, for the money, they perform ok. Yes they won't ever be as good as Michelins or Goodyears, but then they are half the price :shrug: and my philosophy is that there are no such thing as 'ditch-finding tyres, only ditch finding drivers' drive within the limits of the tyre and mostly things will be fine.

I think this is the point so many people miss, for the money, they perform ok. Yes they won't ever be as good as Michelins or Goodyears, but then they are half the price :shrug: and my philosophy is that there are no such thing as 'ditch-finding tyres, only with finding drivers' drive within the limits of the tyre and mostly things will be fine.

Well said Col and I absolutely agree, after my experience with the 452's on 19" Nismos that I had on the last 350 and they performed fine, wet or dry, including numerous spirited drives with other ZED owners in Wales and Scotland. Great value for the money :thumbs:

But will the 453's be better on the ZEDs...............hmmmm

I'll put it like this, one hopes that the 453 will have better wet/dry grip and stiffer sidewalls, obviously for the average price bracket they're in. :thumbs:

Most of us over here, that have run them or drive cars or Z's with them on a regular basis comment the same thing. They let go when pushing on. Or maybe we just drive harder, :drive1:p:lol: or combination of the road surfaces here. :wacko::headhurt:

I'll put it like this, one hopes that the 453 will have better wet/dry grip and stiffer sidewalls, obviously for the average price bracket they're in. :thumbs:

Most of us over here, that have run them or drive cars or Z's with them on a regular basis comment the same thing. They let go when pushing on. Or maybe we just drive harder, :drive1:p:lol: or combination of the road surfaces here. :wacko::headhurt:

Of course they bleeding let go when pushing on, especially if you don't have any heat in them. They're budget midrange tyres, what were you expecting, michelin ps2s?

Exactly, and the point I have tried to make! If they didn't let go when pushing on they would outsell Michelins 10 to 1, I mean why pay more. Mine have let go a couple of times, but thats because they are Falkens not top end rubber, thats also why I drive within their limits.

To be honest if you talk of Falken's 'letting go' you shouldn't be pushing a car too hard on public roads anyway, you're more than likely breaking a speed limit to do so. If you track a car that's different, but day to day driving should be more about stopping distances, water displacement and enough grip to take you to 70 and around some corners at lower speeds. :p:boxing:

Never known a forum to be quite so hung up on tyres :lol:

I've got the 452's and they do let go, but personally only when I let them and they feel very progressive given correct driving techniques. If anything, I would say they had a little too much grip.

Tyre choice very much depends on the style of driving the the driver. For me, the Michelins would leave the car 'over-tyred' unless you're running higher power. I have them on a lowly ford puma (1.7) and they really afford the car amazing grip but for the price, I just don't think they're necessary. The 350z is a wonderfully balanced car and driven correctly, 452's are spot on IMHO :thumbs:

To be honest if you talk of Falken's 'letting go' you shouldn't be pushing a car too hard on public roads anyway, you're more than likely breaking a speed limit to do so. If you track a car that's different, but day to day driving should be more about stopping distances, water displacement and enough grip to take you to 70 and around some corners at lower speeds. :p:boxing:

If you mean you need to drive to within your own/ the car's limits and according to the conditions then all very well but breaking traction for most (intended or not) tends to be on wet roundabouts and tight b-road 60 limit bends which is usually within the speed limit.

If you mean you need to drive to within your own/ the car's limits and according to the conditions then all very well but breaking traction for most (intended or not) tends to be on wet roundabouts and tight b-road 60 limit bends which is usually within the speed limit.

+1, mine have let go in low gears a couple of times, a couple of times exiting a car park onto a main road, all within speed limits. Letting go does not mean them sliding at 100mph on a country road.

as long as its progressive there's nowt wrong with letting go.

i have falkens in 285/30/20 and 255/35/20 and i struggle to get them to let go on anything other than gravel and thats with TCS turned off and nearly 400BHP of SC'd V8 behind it. in the wet, on roundabouts, country roads, standing water etc its well planted. now the pirelli Pzero assimetricos on the other hand felt horrific in rain. you could feel the backend wonder at speed. not a pleasant experience.

so i think that the issue with the tye for the zed is most likely to do with the fact that the zed needs bigger wheels as standard with a lower profile and a wider footprint, for those that feel they need more grip.

speak to husky he had 19's with 295/30/19 on the back and god knows what on the front and he said he had more grip than he needed and that was with sessantas. just couldn't break traction.

the thing is thats all well and good if you want grip that sticks like sh1t to a bears arse. but the zed drives better with a progressive setup. you want the car to be able to kick out on occasion, a bit of gentle oversteer at the rear. yes the car is setup for more understeer, but thats what nissan setup to make it safer for numpties.

if the zed was meant to be imovable nissan would have put bigger wheels on. they didn't they put 18" 245/45/18's and 225/45/18's on so the car had character, some play, a bit of excitement. but not enough to kill you the first time you sit in it.

I have 285-wide 452s on the back and 255 on the front (should have gone for 265 in hindsight) and I get more than enough grip at all times. Even powering 3/4 of the way round a mid-sized roundabout, I would have to drive like a complete numpty to slide the car.

My personal opinion is that despite sticking the 18 and 17 inch wheels on the cars as standard, when you look at the size of the arches, size of brakes, etc and feel the traction differences, you could reasonably believe that the car was always designed for the 19 inch business.

as long as its progressive there's nowt wrong with letting go.

And that's exactly why I hate the 452s but love the VUS: Progressiveness. There's loads with the VUS, which is why you forgive them not having a ton of grip. There's chuff all with the 452s, which combined with low grip levels and average wear rates make them a poor choice for a heavy sports coupe. Chuck 'em on something cheap by all means, but not on something decent. No offence Rich, and you know how I mean this to come out, but if you can't spin the wheels every time in your car on these tyres then you're really not trying hard enough. ;) Aaron got these on his E36 M3 when he bought it, and hates them with a passion.

Anyway, onto the 453s. Any one know the rating codes on these for wear etc compared with the 452?

Depends on how you drive regarding wear, done over 10k with mine (which weren't new when I got them) and still plenty of life left in them.

same here

tyre profile plays a huge part with these tyres to how well they perform. and i'm on a low 30 profile and i bet coldel is too.

i still stand by the point that having run the falkens on both the S2000 and the XKR both on low 30 profiles i've been extremely happy with them.