• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So for this conversion I'm guessing you need:

Lsx and gearbox

Sikky kit or similar

Ecu/loom re wiring

Fuel pump/lines

And that's about it?

I've been ball park quoted, but you'll need the following.

prop shaft

mounting kit

exhaust system

ECU + associated wiring

fuel system plumbing

coolant plumbing

clutch and plumbing

throttle pedal conversion (from drive by wire to cable, unless you went for an after market ECU like Syvecs)

fitting and fabrication labour

Of course with Gearbox.

Have you got a rough cost?

How much you pay for the engine will play a big part in the overall cost.

An LS swap is touted as a good cheap alternative to FI by guys in the states, but only because LS engines practically grow on trees over there so you can find lots of low mileage used ones around. Over here it's not so easy, and a brand-spankers LS2 crate engine with all the peripherals was going at about £12k last time I looked.

Epic results, but not as much of a cheap option over here as it is in the states. A vortech kit would be considerably cheaper.

DB

True, they do seem to have hundreds for sale over there!

Also, apart from torque, there doesnt seem to be much bhp increase standard? How easy are these engines to get a considerable bhp increase from?

Decent exhaust, cam and tune and you'll be over 400bhp on an LS2.

Also don't underestimate how much fun torque is; just means you'll get the power where you actually use the engine most of the time.

DB

Holden vxr8 :cloud9:

technically no such car ;)

It's a HSV Clubsport R8 in Oz (notice the lack of the Holden title - since HSV stands for Holden Special Vehicles).

In the UK it was marketed at the Vauxhall VXR8. The VXR brand is UK specific.

And as Ian says. A Chevvy LS2 outta the crate is 400bhp.

New cam, better exhaust, OTRCAI, and an efi-live map will see 450bhp+

The LS3 outta the box is 440bhp ish. And is ultimately much easier to get big big power out of. And relatively for not alot of money.

• 2 weeks later...

V8s are plentiful in the UK and for not alot of cash, just browse ebay. everything from rover and jag V8's for less than a grand to lotus twin tubby V8 for just over 3k. ford V8's and all kinds of other goodies.

just not lots of LS2's

i do wonder if you can use some of the kit car stuff that allows them to use all kinds of engines and gear boxes etc or find something similiar to an LS2 and a suitable gearbox to do the work.

LS2 is easier as there are already kits available that make the job slightly easier.

people like rouge motorsport have been dropping V8's into MR2's or other companies dropping 2ZZ engines in to everything from MR2's to elises.

V8s are plentiful in the UK and for not alot of cash, just browse ebay. everything from rover and jag V8's for less than a grand to lotus twin tubby V8 for just over 3k. ford V8's and all kinds of other goodies.

just not lots of LS2's

i do wonder if you can use some of the kit car stuff that allows them to use all kinds of engines and gear boxes etc or find something similiar to an LS2 and a suitable gearbox to do the work.

LS2 is easier as there are already kits available that make the job slightly easier.

people like rouge motorsport have been dropping V8's into MR2's or other companies dropping 2ZZ engines in to everything from MR2's to elises.

They dont produce as much bhp or torque though as they are generally older and smaller. Plus the lsx is still devolved for and its a great base for n/a and fi. They can handle massive power and are pretty reliable. Parts are cheapish too.

They dont produce as much bhp or torque though as they are generally older and smaller. Plus the lsx is still devolved for and its a great base for n/a and fi. They can handle massive power and are pretty reliable. Parts are cheapish too.

I know that, but someone said earlier why do we have so few, i was just pointing out that is slightly incorrect.

I know that, but someone said earlier why do we have so few, i was just pointing out that is slightly incorrect.

Ah, are you donating your 4.0 supercharged engine to Wasso :lol:

A couple of grand back in your hand makes this very tempting tuning route just that little bit more tempting, certainly a very realistic alternative to forced induction and with far more potential furhter down the road.....LS2 with a set of cams and a decent exhaust system should see some great figures....go FI when you get bored with that and there wouldn't be a great deal on the road that would live with you in a straight line....and it would sound like the devil :evil: