How many of you use a second car?

nixy

The only thing that keeps niggling in the back of my mind while I'm looking for my car is - what will happen in winter. I love living in the sticks but in winter driving is bad even in a front wheel car. At the moment it's totally a heart over head situation which I'll deal with when it happens but what does everyone else do? I keep hearing more and more that a lot of you seem to tuck your car up in the winter but I will have no choice - unless I can buy a VERY cheap reliable banger. No public transport to my job from here either.

I could already have a cunning plan - husband loves fishing - he can't get his gear in his BMW cos the seats don't split so he uses my Honda - he'll be stuffed when i get a 2 seater again so HE might need a second car! I wonder if he can talk me into letting him......... :D

I live out in the sticks and commute about 25 miles every day in the Zed wind, rain or shine.

:D

Me too, the Zed is fine for all kinds of weather. I'd love to get a second car, but unfortunately;

1. I love the Zed too much - I bought it to drive!

2. I live 9 miles away from work, so no point to it really

It's just like any other car, just drive sensibly and to the conditions :) I'd say it's no worse than any real wheel drive car. Ok, so it's not as sure-footed and frankly idiot-proof as an Impreza, but hey ho - you pays yer money :D

We use the Golf (about to be swapped for a Altea FR) for most of the donkey work, the missus uses the Z as a daily drive to work - as her journey to work and back is much shorter than mine. The Z is used for fun journeys at weekends and summer evening drives etc.

Probably do about 10-12k per year in the second car, and the Z will probably rack up about 4k a year tops.

I've done about 6K in the Z in the last year, mainly because I use the train on those days when I have to go into the office, and can use hire cars to get to some jobs. We use my wife's CRV for most of the shopping trips, dog-walking etc. Keeps the mileage down on the Z, which at the moment is tucked up nice and warm in the garage. :teeth:

I use the Zed every day - 27k miles in 2 years. I won't use it in the snow or if I think it might snow whilst I'm in work. That has meant I have deliberately left it at home maybe 6 or 7 days in the last 2 years. Frustrating but not a biggie.

Problem comes when I want the Micra on he snowy days and so does Kat. No fisticuffs yet....

I did think of buying an old nail a couple of weeks ago for carrying large stuff and days when the weather's bad but really it was just me wanting to have another car in my collection and I had to can the idea on cost grounds.

Second car? The zed is for driving!!! Why keep the mile low for someone else benefit!!!

I couldn't agree more! Why spare your Z for the next owner? It's such a great car to drive with and it looks so damn good!

I do +- 15K miles each year with my Z. I would consider a 4 door saloon for the real harsh winter days and moving people around. Also it would be nicer for shopping as I managed to damage the interior already.

Second car? The zed is for driving!!! Why keep the mile low for someone else benefit!!!

I couldn't agree more! Why spare your Z for the next owner? It's such a great car to drive with and it looks so damn good!

I do +- 15K miles each year with my Z. I would consider a 4 door saloon for the real harsh winter days and moving people around. Also it would be nicer for shopping as I managed to damage the interior already.

Simple really, I'm currently working in London, but prior to this was coverinng 35k pa. That's what made me turn to a second car.

15k is average nowdays isn't it? My missus does that...:lol:

Me too. The car will lose the best part of 50% over three years whether you drive it or not. I can't see the point of spending most of that time driving a crock.