Porsche 924 / 944 lux

fosk

Anyone here owned a lux 924 or 944? I am thinking about going down the classic route and getting one, they seem a decent price for a decent example, seem to be reliable and the running costs aren't bad, especially the 2.0 924 without the Porsche engine. Plus I'd like to start working on a car, another reason why I am leaning towards the 924 lux.

Yep I had a 944 lux 2.7l 1989 model.

I liked it so much that I bought it back when I saw it advertised on ebay!

I did do quite a bit of restoration on it and updated it a bit.

A really fun car and really cheap to insure on a classic policy.

I would say go for either the 2.5 or 2.7l 944 with the oval dashboard.

I very nearly bought a 968 and then a 944 S2 before I bought my Z and drove quite a few of them. I really like them. They both have the 3litre engine (968 has variocam), feel much more raw than the Z and enough power to have fun.

I've never driven a 924 2.0 / 2.5 or 944 2.5 / 2.7, but I guess they would feel down on power these days. I have a real soft spot for the 924S as the last of the "pure" 924 shape and interior with a more powerful and characterful engine.

In the end I went for a 350Z as I felt I'd miss my creature comforts and modern car reliability and safety features (crash protection, airbags etc) and of course I love the 6 cylinder soundtrack.

I ran an 85 944 2.5 8v (early square dash) for 4 years between 1997 and 2000, taking it from 80k to 150k.

I thoroughly enjoyed it - nice and fast compared to Scimitar I also had, with plenty of torque. Being a Porsche it was well screwed together and apart from a bit of interior wear you'd not have known it had 150k on it.

In the time I had it I suffered just a failed engine mount (typical issue due to proximity of the exhaust manifold) and replaced the clutch at the same time as that's a big job and we were some of the way there in unbolting bits; and a failed front wheel bearing. Other than that it was just routine maintenance which was dead easy to do myself. Parts weren't expensive and it seemed pretty good on fuel, but I never bothered to work it's mpg out.

Rust is a bit more of an issue these days I believe, but you can see inside the body easily once you've removed a vent in the door shut. Mine had none and no scabs, but it was a bit brown...

I sold it as I needed a bigger car, but did spot it for sale a few years later with a blown engine. I was tempted to buy it back but resisted...

94404.jpg

94416.jpg

9442.jpg