Things that remind you that you live in a ghetto

Neilp

Don't know how clear this picture is but..

Initial signs that you're living in a ghetto ...

6eb0974d.jpg

I though this was an American thing but it seems that Glasgow has become a ghetto

in America it symbolises theres a dealer on the street.

i was up in glasgow last weekend, i loved the sign that said, something on the lines of "save a life; don't carry a knife!"

got a photo somewhere will dig it out later :lol:

"I thought you threw your Homie's shoes up when his ass got a cap popped in it"

Can you translate that please? I think maybe it means when your friend got shot???? I'm not up with Gangsta' speak at my age I'm afraid :dry:

a quick google and these are the possible outcomes

I heard tennis shoes hanging over a power line meant you could buy crack there.

It's a time-honored tradition to throw your sneakers over the power lines on the last day of school.

When I was a lad of 13 in Nashua, New Hampshire, we used to steal pairs of shoes that had been carelessly left on the sidewalk by kids who had popped open a fireplug. At this point we would play "over the wire keep away" until (a) the kid's mother, brother, father, or a passing police officer put a stop to the game, or (B) shoes went up but didn't come down.

When I was in the military and guys were getting ready to get out and go back to a "regular" life they would take their combat boots and paint them up all funky before tying the laces together and throwing them over a wire.

I agree with the drug theory. I saw a news brief on Amsterdam, and there was a pair of shoes hanging in the ghetto where everyone does drugs. So I assume it means "stop here."

Either they're meant to increase visibility for low-flying aircraft, frighten rattlesnakes away, or just for the hell of it.

I read in the newspaper that shoes would be thrown over the power lines to serve as a reminder/warning of a murder that occurred nearby. This seems proven to me: as I was traveling past a home in which a drug-related murder had occurred about three months prior … a pair of shoes were hanging from the power lines in front of the home.

Depending on what part of the country you are from, one shoe from a light post or sign represents the death of a gang member. Usually seen in the inner city.

When I was a kid (late 60s, early 70s) the boys would tie together (1) their own sneakers that they hated or (2) sneakers of the weak and/or overweight kids and toss them over the telephone wires for fun. It usually took a number of tosses to get them up there, so the boys took this as a challenge.

The fact about the shoes hanging across the overhead wire is: my wife won't let me bring them into the house after I walked across the barnyard. This is a certified true fact.

Used to be a gang sign — sneakers hanging over telephone or electrical wires were to designate gang turf.

I'll admit to being a former shoe thrower. After getting a new pair of sneakers, it was a common ritual in my neighborhood to tie the shoelaces of your old pair together and throw them up on the telephone wires. What else are you going to do with your old pair of sneakers?

I used to teach inner-city youths in Washington, D.C., and witnessed older children throwing the shoes of younger children over tree branches and telephone lines, or a gang of children would take a single child's shoes and toss them. This was, as far as I could tell, an exclusively male pastime. The kids did this to be mean and make a difficult time of life even more difficult. One fun part about this type of kid is that if an adult tells them to stop, the adult is "disrespecting" their right to do whatever they want. The other fun part about some of these kids is that they are armed. I am not restricting my criticisms to children in inner-city Washington either.

There is no solid cause-effect going on here. Just your everyday kid hijinks. I suppose you could say it's a way of marking territory. Shoes can be seen hanging all over the beach area here in San Diego, over lampposts, power lines, trees, etc. It's as pointless as jamming gum in water fountains or throwing water balloons at cars. Just one of the things kids do.

So there you have it. It's either a harmless prank, a rite of passage, or a sign of the end of civilization. You figure it out.

my favourite part of glasgow was the M73, as it allowed me to go through glasgow at 70 mph :lol:

agreed there is some expensive parts to glasgow, but lots of it seems rough as feck :blush:

the place has got a bloomin kiss and smile named after it :lol:

There's been 2 murders where I stay in a week. One guy got slashed and the next morning a guy was found in a bush with his throat slit.

Christmas eve I was out doing some last minute shopping and witnessed a young guy getting his face booted of a kerb about 20 times. I was across the road and still heard the thumps.

It's not as friendly as it seems on the outside I'm afraid.

There is some nice places but the bad much outnumber the good. Just because there is nice expensive houses doesn't mean a place is nice, the houses are usually owned by "business" men and rich scumbags.

Where I stay is quite nice. Pretty quiet. Where my cousin is in castlemilk you wouldn't walk the streets at night even if you were carrying a gun.

Where Jay and Irfan stay is very nice and pretty posh but imagine there is still gangsters living close by.

Lol thats in Bath street eh neil?

I have to say I love where I live and have never had any problems. I am situated about 10 miles outside of glasgow in almost the green belt and its a great place to stay. However I honestly dont think Glasgow is as bad as people make out. Yes it has problems with drugs, yes we have homeless people and yes have have chavs. But name me a city in the world that doesnt. I have travelled all over the world and lived in different places for a short period of time and I can honestly say.. I dont think that Glasgow is that bad. Compare it to London or Birmingham... they have more people... much more crime... instead of knifes they use guns lol.

Glasgow just has never been able to get away from the Knife gang era... maybe one day it will tho :surrender::lol: Just my wee opinion.

Lol thats in Bath street eh neil?

I have to say I love where I live and have never had any problems. I am situated about 10 miles outside of glasgow in almost the green belt and its a great place to stay. However I honestly dont think Glasgow is as bad as people make out. Yes it has problems with drugs, yes we have homeless people and yes have have chavs. But name me a city in the world that doesnt. I have travelled all over the world and lived in different places for a short period of time and I can honestly say.. I dont think that Glasgow is that bad. Compare it to London or Birmingham... they have more people... much more crime... instead of knifes they use guns lol.

Glasgow just has never been able to get away from the Knife gang era... maybe one day it will tho :surrender::lol: Just my wee opinion.

Stay in castlemilk or possilpark for a week lol.

But thats like saying all America is bad because of the Bronx etc. No matter where you go in the world there are always bad area... plus castlemilk aint that bad.... possil however :surrender:

Castlemilks full of crackpots :lol:

I'm about 12 miles from Glasgow and my place is pretty quiet but it's still full of crazy inbred freaks who take pleasure on cutting somebody up.

Alot of what goes on in Glasgow happens in surrounding areas and not the town Center. Generally Glasgow city is fine with a couple of bad fights a month. Venture into the jungle surrounding and it's a different story.

The likes of possil, springburn, blochairn and surrounding regions are full of mental fookers who are in the guncrime era. Plenty of big names out that direction. East end-bonkers and old school gangs, southside- richer, westend-richer mentalists and students, north-junkies and crazy gangsters :lol:

The safe zone from Glasgow is about 10 miles lol

Just to enlighten the situation.. These are bowling shoes so it looks like somebody's been pi**ed, stole the shoes and thrown them over a electric cable for the wall light for a laugh.

Typically there's a drug dealer on every street in Glasgow and in almost every pub and nightclub so throwing shoes over a cable wouldn't really help you get business :lol:

I don't think anybody's been gunned down or murdered in this street, well maybe they did and they stole his bowling shoes from him :shrug: I don't know..

More than likely some late 20's fella thinking he's being funny by nicking bowling shoes and his mates have dared him to throw them over the cable.. He then probably walked home in his bare feet :drunk:

Neil P.... where were you on Friday 1st of June. It has been brought to my attention that you were bowling in a surrounding glasgow area with a group of rowdy friends, which we then have you on cctv walking in the bath street area :lol:;)

Neil P.... where were you on Friday 1st of June. It has been brought to my attention that you were bowling in a surrounding glasgow area with a group of rowdy friends, which we then have you on cctv walking in the bath street area :lol:;)

Hahahaha it's more something that you and your rugby mates would do :lol:

Saying that I'm a mean bowler! Got an arm of a pro :lol: