Great car!

Nate1988

Morning all,

Just wanted to let everyone know I have owned then Z for 3 weeks now and I am very pleased with it, I use the car everyday, im a salesman and travel roughly 80 miles a day. The average fuel consumption since I bought the car has been 30.2 MPG :yahoo: getting roughly 400miles before re fueling which is great and better than my last car which was a 2.8 Z3.

I have a few questions tho:

1) My clutch feels very heavy and the bite point is quite high, is this normal for a Z?? I purchased from a garage and its going back Monday fro them to inspect, just wondering how do I stand if it needs a new clutch, should they pay?

2) The donut who owned the car previously has taken it thorugh a car wash by the looks of the swirls in the paint :rant: I usually clean with meguires .... but im going off it lately, can anyone recommend something for swirl removal :bang:

Thanks guys.

Morning all,

Just wanted to let everyone know I have owned then Z for 3 weeks now and I am very pleased with it, I use the car everyday, im a salesman and travel roughly 80 miles a day. The average fuel consumption since I bought the car has been 30.2 MPG :yahoo: getting roughly 400miles before re fueling which is great and better than my last car which was a 2.8 Z3.

I have a few questions tho:

1) My clutch feels very heavy and the bite point is quite high, is this normal for a Z?? I purchased from a garage and its going back Monday fro them to inspect, just wondering how do I stand if it needs a new clutch, should they pay?

2) The donut who owned the car previously has taken it thorugh a car wash by the looks of the swirls in the paint :rant: I usually clean with meguires .... but im going off it lately, can anyone recommend something for swirl removal :bang:

Thanks guys.

1. Normal

2. Megs ultimate compound or Swirlx is supposed to be good but you'll need a da polisher to get decent results.

Also you need to be brought back down to earth......your driving the car carefully at the moment. I know your are because I always do when I get a new car and you end up with amazing mpg for the first few tanks.

Then your right foot starts to become leaden! Expect mid 20's, be prepard for low 20's ;)

Glad you're enjoying Z ownership.

Heavy clutch with high biting point is normal; you get used to it :thumbs:

There is a guide on here (see guides section) for adjusting the height of the bite point yourself. It's seemingly a simple thing to do but a real nightmare to squeeze yourself into the footwell so you can see and reach behind the clutch.

1. Normal

2. Megs ultimate compound or Swirlx is supposed to be good but you'll need a da polisher to get decent results.

Also you need to be brought back down to earth......your driving the car carefully at the moment. I know your are because I always do when I get a new car and you end up with amazing mpg for the first few tanks.

Then your right foot starts to become leaden! Expect mid 20's, be prepard for low 20's ;)

Ok great thanks for the help, hmmm yes I have been driving cautiously the majoristy of the time, will have to see over the next few months.

Glad you're enjoying Z ownership.

Heavy clutch with high biting point is normal; you get used to it :thumbs:

There is a guide on here (see guides section) for adjusting the height of the bite point yourself. It's seemingly a simple thing to do but a real nightmare to squeeze yourself into the footwell so you can see and reach behind the clutch.

Thanks for that, it will come in useful and will attempt at the weekend.

Is the biting point high, or very high? Mine was high when I bought it, assuming that was ok, clutch went 2000 miles later. If there is any member local willing to check it for you well worth driving over their way :thumbs:

DA stands for Dual Action, its a machine which makes cleaning a whole lot easier. You can do work by hand, but it will only have so much effect as it will be impossible to create the friction and heat needed to properly remove the swirls.

A decent mid range DA is around the £100 mark, or you could try contact one of the detailing guys on here?

clutch is normal, but if you want me to take a look for you i'm down between ipswich and woodbridge.

Thanks, appreciate that.

Is the biting point high, or very high? Mine was high when I bought it, assuming that was ok, clutch went 2000 miles later. If there is any member local willing to check it for you well worth driving over their way :thumbs:

DA stands for Dual Action, its a machine which makes cleaning a whole lot easier. You can do work by hand, but it will only have so much effect as it will be impossible to create the friction and heat needed to properly remove the swirls.

A decent mid range DA is around the £100 mark, or you could try contact one of the detailing guys on here?

I would say its pretty high tbh, will try adjusting pedal and if that doesnt work then look further into it.

ahh I see, ill have a look at into buying one, suppose it saves alot of labour time and sore hands too B)

I wouldnt say heavy clutch with high bite point is normal..

Mine was heavy with a high biting point like you describe.

Replaced the clutch and flywheel last week and its now much lighter and the bite is far more progressive.

Infact its totally transformed the car and is far more enjoyable to drive.

I'd get it checked out if i were you because before i changed my clutch the old heavy one was completly shagged and was down to the rivets.

Just to concur Megs Ultimate Compound does a decent job. You do need a DA polisher and some pads - say 1 cutting pad, 2 polishing pads and 1 finishing pad. You probably want both 4 and 6 inch pads to cover large areas and tight areas. Make sure you thoroughly clean first and then claybar to remove all surface contaminants before polishing else you will just be adding more scratches.

There are some good guides on http://www.detailingworld.co.uk.

This kit is ideal for the novice; http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb-soft-paint-polishing-kit-cat1.html all you need on top of that is a clay bar and a decent wash beforehand and a wax or sealant after really. As above, Detailing World has more information than you could ever possibly digest. There's also some good guides here too Polished Bliss.

Had my Zed for approaching a month now, the clutch is quite heavy and take up also quite high but I have found that easy to adapt too. The mpg is what has surprised me though, I use mine everyday, it's my only car and have put nearly 3,500 miles on it because of the travelling my work involves, I don't drive like Miss Daisey and have been getting between 26 - 28 mpg including a few autobahn runs, so I'm well pleased with that as it does not affect my mileage allowance too much.

Just an update,

Took car to Garage I bought it from, they said "Cant really feel the clutch slipping but it feel extremely heavy .... so it needs a new clutch."

They are fitting one next weds and as they havent mentioned a price im taking it they will be payiog :yahoo::thumbs: