M Series.

Builder49

Possibility I might be in need of a reliable saloon (well family) set of wheels.

Was thinking I can't possibly go standard after having the Zed (which incidently I am keeping for weekends and non family outings), and so wanted something with a bit more buzz.

BMW's are always going to be a safe bet I guess, but I'm thinking more like the M series versions. As I've never owned one of these models, (Always been a Merc man), I was wondering if any advise or experiences are out there I can draw on?

Favouring the idea of a M6 at the moment and intend test driving one at the weekend, but would be interested on feedback on any model. Could play safe and go with an X6 but might be a bit boring?

So Guys and Girls, your thoughts please.

Thanks for your imput.

Paul :)

This is my bro's m5.

Its an absolute monster of a car and such a nice comfortable place to be in. The gearbox is a bit notchy though for town use but in m-sport mode it is night and day.

1d1190b0.jpg

Friend of mine had an M6... he said you'd need a good warranty with them as the slightest problem will leave you with a bill for ££££.

If you've got £20 - 30k to burn on a 'family' car, and go down the route of a Range Rover Sport personally, or if you've got a bit more still then it would be this for me:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Point taken on maintenance costs and maintenance issues..... good to know too. Had Mercs and no major issues so could revert to the CL or CLS.

Not keen on the Range Rover to be honest, i'm sure it's a great vehicle but as I don't live in Essex or own a farm it feels a little pointless, plus all the local gypsies have them :lol: and its become a bit of a statement vehicle in my opinion. Of course so would a M6 be :lol:

335i looks nice though, and the A5 I've liked since it was released. Only reason for a BMW is 'she' fancies one !!!!

Any other advice wlcomed :)

Needs to be practical and to ferry about 2 kids and 2 adults. Most of the time 1 adult and 2 kids on a 24mile round trip to school twice a day. But on the occasions I might drive it I dont want a boring diesel saloon with 100bhp :thumbdown:

Obviously an M6 is over the top, but they look nice and would be lost on the company as a directors vehicle :thumbs: , can't exactly do that with a skoda!!!

Most likely be a decent spec big engine 5 series or equivalent from Audi or maybe Mercedes, but she really wants a BMW !!!

I suppose it depends just how much this car is going to be integral to your life I suppose.......an RS4 will be seriously quick, sound amazing and be well under budget. If the car is going to be used reguarly then defo go with 5 doors.....

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously thinking S5 now.... Anyone got any experience or thoughts on these? :)

Paul

BMW & MERC > Audi(VAG) :p

I know someone who has an A5. I dont think a coupe is great for families IMO. The doors are quite wide to so supermarkets might be a pain.

I initially looked into RS4s, but they seem to suffer very badly with carbon build up on the valves. I think the problem affects all the FSI engines in the VAG group, not sure if that includes the S5.

I think all direct injection engines suffer from this (including the N54 engine in my 335i), but on the RS4s this seem to cause major problems with loss of power/error codes (even on cars with low miles), where as on BMWs I've yet to see anyone report carbon build up causing loss of power/error codes..even on cars thats done >100K.

I was put off buying any VAG group car because of this, the NEW S4 seems to not suffer from carbon build up..when I was looking 18months ago they were still >£30K so out of my price range, but am sure by now they will be well below <£25K.

Actually it's a very big deal...I hardly have time to clean my car once a month. If am paying £30k+ on a car I don't expect to put foam/cleaning solution into the engine every 2 weeks just to keep the thing working...in any case I'm not sure any one has actually found a way to elimante carbon build up?

Even a quick search on the web shows plenty of RS4s producing much lower than expected figures on dynos which than 'recover' once the valves are cleaned (propely by scrubbing the valves not using foam/cleaning solution). As said all direct injection engine suffer from this...BMW have recently produced an official document and specific equipment for cleaning the valves (£500 a time I think, and I'll probably get my car done once it hits 50K).

But for some reason the RS4s are really badly affected, I'm actually quite surprised the Americans haven't tried to sue Audi...

I didn't say every two weeks ;) The methods I mentioned should be taken as preventative ones, not reactive ones. Injector cleaner goes in when you fill it up so takes 30 secs extra, 10K Boost can be done with the MOT or service. It won't eliminate it entirely, but it will make a huge difference. :)

I can see your point though, but I guess I feel the benefits of a DFI engine are worth the downsides.