A European Tour - Back and with photos!!

phatbloke74

Edit - Back from the trip and here with pictures!!

Day 1 - Home, through France to Neuchatel, Switzerland

Day 3 - Neuchatel, Grindelwald, Susten Pass, Gotthard Tunnel and into Milan, Italy

Day 5 - Milan to Stelvio Pass, through Austria to the Neuschwanstein Castle and to Munich

Day 7 - Dachau Concentration Camp to Halle, Belgium

Day 8 - Halle back to Blighty!

IMG_0036.jpg

Car washed and polished and ready to go

IMG_0078.jpg

View from hotel room in Neuchatel, Switzerland (14 hours door to door!)

IMG_0155.jpg

Driving the Susten Pass - 7428ft - very wet and very cloudy

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

On the way to Stelvio

IMG_0267.jpg

At the start of the Stelvio Pass

IMG_0286.jpg

The famous image of the Stelvio Pass

IMG_0299.jpg

The top of the Stelvio Pass - 9045ft

IMG_0288.jpg

Me and the car at the top of the Stelvio Pass

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

The route back down Stelvio

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

Driving in Austria

So, in 8 days I drove through 9 Countries, drove 1955 miles, spent over 40 hours behind the wheel and saw some of the most amazing scenery out there - brilliant!! B)

The footing of the Jungfrau AND the Matterhorn will be good enough on its own. Why not take a trip up the Eiger whilst you're there?

Sounds like a gpod trip, very jealous as I love taking the Zed abroad :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds effing epic!

I love road trips......the one me and Carla did was one of the best holidays I've had.

+1 to that Ricey! Did a 3 week road trip across America and loved it so much another plan is in motion for another.

Looks like a awesome road trip OP and great pics! B)

Nice pics :thumbs:

That's a lot of miles in one week!

How were the fuel prices for super over there? I was paying 1.77 euro a litre last year :thumbdown:

Prices were between 1.64 and 1.68 but Switzerland was only 1.77 Swiss Francs which made it cheaper. Worked it out today and spent £450 on fuel.

:lol: When I read this earlier I thought "Will's going to be doing some planning soon" :thumbs:

Wow great pics, looks like you had a great break.

3rd time ive looked at this thread, thats it im going to start planning a similar trip for next year.

:lol: When I read this earlier I thought "Will's going to be doing some planning soon" :thumbs:

3rd time ive looked at this thread, thats it im going to start planning a similar trip for next year.

Haha am i that predictable. Does look awesome though, made for Rosie. Cant wait. Right wheres my roadmap.

Out of interest what route did you take. **runs off to get pen and paper

We're doing a trip through Europe next year if you fancy tagging along. England to Hungary and back with a stop off at the ring and other attractions.

We're doing a trip through Europe next year if you fancy tagging along. England to Hungary and back with a stop off at the ring and other attractions.

*** hunts for diary.

sounds excellent. Will have to have a chat about where and when, seriously interested.

Was going to organise one of these with a friend last year, then the inconsiderate sod wroteoff his vx220 up in scotland, i was not impressed, mind you neither was he at the time :lol:

Haha am i that predictable. Does look awesome though, made for Rosie. Cant wait. Right wheres my roadmap.

Out of interest what route did you take. **runs off to get pen and paper

Hiya, right, this is a rough route as most of it I trusted to the satnav and I just picked the places I wanted to visit.

Calais to Neuchatel (Switzerland) via Lille, Reims, Dijon, Besancon. Besancon looked like a nice town but didn't stay long.

Switzerland is stunning, especially the lakes. Route was;

Neuchatel, Interlaken, Grindelwald, Innertkirchen, Sustenpass, Wassen, Gottardtunnel, Biasca and into Italy at Chiassa and onto Milan.

If I was purely doing driving then I would have gone to Lake Como and taken the slow road round the edge.

I didn't take that route, the route I did take from Milan was;

Towards Bergamo, Breno, Sonico and then cut across via Aprica (this was stunning - high mountain passes and loads of hairpin bends.)

Then take the road to Tirano and Bormio and then turn off to take the Stelvio Pass.

Into Austria on the SS40 past the Arlund Resoivoir.

Going to take a break here and try and work out the route I took across Austria and Germany. Basically, I went from Arlund to Neuschwanstein Castle and then onto Munich.

I also visited Dachau Concentration camp which was both distressing and amazing.

Hope this helps or provides an insight.