Clutch Advice

longsh07

Hey guys,

I could do with some advice on clutches and clutch replacement.

I recently brought myself a GT4 350Z fairly cheap knowing the clutch was on the way out.

This morning I noticed its starting to slip and thought it might be worth getting it changed.

All I've done so far is to ring my local Nissan dealer and try and get a price however their parts department was busy so Im waiting for them to ring me back with a price for the parts and labour.

Anyway while I wait I thought I'd ask you guys:

• Is it worth looking at after market clutches rather than a Nissan replacement?

• If yes to the above, what manufacturers are worth looking at?

• Can anyone recommend a clutch fitter near Luton/Dunstable that's not Universal Clutches as I had a bad experience with them when they changed the clutch on my MR2.

Oh by the way I just checked with Mr Clutch, they said £499, seems reasonable to me however i'd be sceptical of the quality of the clutch as I was expecting more like £600-800 if not more.

edit: My bad, this is £499 for the clutch kit not inc labour.

So just had a call back from Nissan,

Clutch - £609 Retail (they said they could do it £470) +VAT

Flywheel - £973 Retail (they said they could do it £860) +VAT

So looks like ill be getting an Exedy kit from you soon Alex :)

Fitting at Nissan wasn't too bad, they said 3-4 hours @ £90 per hour but any other recommendations are welcome.

Has anyone used Mr Clutch before?

Dont ever buy anything from Nissan and dont ever get them to fit anything unless you like spending money. ;)

TBH, clutch change on any RWD car is pretty straightforward, Mr Clutch could do it but Id see if there is anyone who knows 350Z's in your area first, I dont think it would cost any different and you would have a bit of peace of mind :thumbs:

just out of interest what is the first sign of a clutch on its way out? My car has just done about 60k and has started to get a slight judder under foot when setting off in first unless I hit the gas a bit more firmly. Is that the clutch?

Im not an expert so please correct me if im wrong but:

Biting point is quite high on the pedal

Clutch slips when biting (pulling away and sometimes changing gears), the higher you rev, the more likely it would be to slip

Burning smell when pulling away/changing gear

I tested mine this morning to see if it was the clutch that was wearing out by turning off traction control, giving it a boot full and popping the clutch up in 1st. Didn't get any wheel spin (would have heard it with the window open) but it ended up hitting the limiter and not moving very fast. Go a lovely burning smell after that!

This was probably not the best thing to do but at least it proved it was the clutch.

No to drive like a blind 110 year old everywhere until I get it sorted.

So just had a call back from Nissan,

Clutch - £609 Retail (they said they could do it £470) +VAT

Flywheel - £973 Retail (they said they could do it £860) +VAT

So looks like ill be getting an Exedy kit from you soon Alex :)

Fitting at Nissan wasn't too bad, they said 3-4 hours @ £90 per hour but any other recommendations are welcome.

Has anyone used Mr Clutch before?

And don't forget the flywheel as Neil has said :thumbs:

I keep in stock the exact same fly that Nissan have quoted you on, however I only charge £345.00 :thumbs:

Expect to pay around £200.00 for fitting.

Alex. :)

Cheers Alex, going to contact Japex who are not far from me to find out how much they will charge to fit the Exedy clutch and Flywheel once I know I might drop you a PM to place an order.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Cheers Alex, going to contact Japex who are not far from me to find out how much they will charge to fit the Exedy clutch and Flywheel once I know I might drop you a PM to place an order.

Tell Ross at Japex that you are buying the parts from me and ask him to cut you a deal at £200.00 labour. ;):thumbs:

Hi Mate,

got my clutch and flywheel changed at japex, great guys and a good price, would always recommend them :)