replacement roof

PGraham002

Interested in any problems with the 370Z convertable roof. I bought mine 6 months old and the fabric roof was fraying on drivers s3idce, I have looked into this extensively, and even brand new cars have problems, when you open the doors the window catches on the roof, I believe this is due to the window not dropping fast enough as it did on the 350Z i had, so it catches the roof. I have just had a brans new roof on the 370Z and it is still not right. 100% design fault. anybody had problems, or more importantly not realised they have a problem.

amazing how many people have this problem. after the roof was replaced, as I said the windows still catch, so it is going back monday, but I am now even more determined that the roof works and fits perfectly, other wise I will say I need a new car., that will shake them up.

it is a design fault, even the 350Z roof fitted better,

A friend had an 11 or 12 plate 370z conv as a loan car while his GTR was in for a service.

The 370 was brand new- the driver side window caught on the roof every time, you could just see the mark on the roof fabric starting to appear.

Shocking.

Hi, yup as Will mentioned I've had exactly the same, and in fact it's still not resolved. I've just been too busy to get round to sorting it out yet.

That thread pretty much tells all except for the final instalment. The dealer has failed to get the required replacement clips for my roof so it's still not 100% refitted yet. Between them, and Nissan, they have order every single clip, seal, accessory part for the roof but non of these orders has resulted in the correct two clips being delivered.

Nissan have asked me to go back to the dealer for a 4th time (and now into the 4th month) for them to partially dismantle my roof again and PHOTOGRAPH the missing clips, send the images to Nissan for them to investigate and hopefully locate the right clips :scare: . Surely not rocket science is it.

Like I said, I've just not had chance to head over there and waste a morning but might try to on Tuesday - I've got an exam on Tuesday afternoon so could do some last minute studying whilst I wait.

As I said to Will, roof has been replaced and still no good, gave me a story about the roof needing time to settle!!!, going back monday so we will see, I will NOT accept the car back if that window still clips the fabric and also I want a perfect alignment of the rubber seal to be under the fabric around the window. Cant see it happening. To me simple thing is to drop the window quicker than it does at the moment.

Keep everyone informed how it caomes back.

peter

• 3 weeks later...

to all,still not had it sorted, going back on Monday 2nd july for final adjustment, one of the guys said they are going to move the glass forward!!, I said w2hat?, he could not expand, didnt know, so will be interested, but will use a karcher after all around the window and if there are leaks!!!!!

I don't understand... this is obviously a design fault and is well documented. Nissan should be recalling them all and sorting it out. If it was me I would be going onto all forums and gathering up all affected owners and going for a group action. These are new cars its just not acceptable.

Phew... :rant: over :lol:

If it was a design problem, they'd all be doing it and there would be no solution barring re-designing the whole mechanism again. Given the limited numbers to suffer from this, looks more like an installation issue at the factory than anything.

Hope you get it sorted soon guys :)

Sorry to hear its still not sorted. Really sucks but id keep pestering til its fixed as you shouldnt have to put up with that. It does seem to be a common issue. I remembering reading about some people in the usa who had the roof repaired and the problem reoccurred very quickly. Seems there is an issue with some cars.

Im just glad mine isnt one of them.

Good luck and ive got my fingers crossed for you :thumbs:

Well, there's two of us on here with current issues, mine is still ongoing (photos taken of missing clips but Nissan have taken over 2 weeks to investigate :rant: ).

They have 'moved' my passenger window forwards but still no better. I think what they mean when they say 'move' is 'adjust'. There is a very small amount of 'play' in how the window sits. It can be rotated ever so slightly, adjusting the angle, which they hope will just shift the edge away from where it catches the fabric. It's bollocks though. Mine still catches.

I'm not too sure where this'll end up if I'm honest. Can't see Nissan allowing me to reject the car, whether that be morally right or not, just can't see them playing ball. Whether or not they'll give me a very generous trade-in figure (as I'm half shopping around) but there's nothing else in the Nissan fleet that I'd consider (especially after just buying a QQ+2 for the wife). The up & coming Juke Nismo sounds interesting but probably wouldn't seriously consider one.

We'll see.

I know it may be a long way to travel but if either of you wanted to pop down and compare you cars to mine to identify exactly where things are different you are more than welcome.

I rechecked my windows jsut to be sure and the windows clear the roof lining by quite a margin so there must be a fitment issue with your cars

If it was a design problem, they'd all be doing it and there would be no solution barring re-designing the whole mechanism again. Given the limited numbers to suffer from this, looks more like an installation issue at the factory than anything.

Ok fine - an 'installation' issue - they should be identifying the line that has the issue then and recalling everything that has come off that line. Folks shouldn't have to deal with a quality control problem like this on a new car - it is now a 'known' issue so Nissan should be putting out a bulletin to all dealers to give them the fix and authority to deal with any vehicles presented with this issue swiftly no questions asked :)

Ok fine - an 'installation' issue - they should be identifying the line that has the issue then and recalling everything that has come off that line. Folks shouldn't have to deal with a quality control problem like this on a new car - it is now a 'known' issue so Nissan should be putting out a bulletin to all dealers to give them the fix and authority to deal with any vehicles presented with this issue swiftly no questions asked :)

Ekona, it will be similar to those of us that mechanical issues and other issues with their 350's from brand new, that were design issues, and Nissan fixed with the next model of the car, bit late for those of the previous model. They may not all be effected, but quite a number were. So whether it be a bad day, week or month for the build of the car.

Like anything, it should be "fit for the purpose". So if it's a roadster for instance, should function correctly without fault.

I think part of the problem is that technically the hood is still 'fit for purpose' in a loose sense of the word i.e. it still goes up & down so owners don't push as hard as they would if their car was unusable (also cause we're British & don't like to cause a scene) and dealers don't particularily pressure Nissan HQ. I'm mean, should it really take over 3 months to locate a clip that is fitted to every single roadster out there?? I'm giving my dealer until next week until I start really kicking off.

Also, I don't think a lot of people know their rights (me included), or how far they can push. Plus, I'm quite busy, so pissing around with a dealer/HQ demands a certain degree of commitment time & effort wise, which can be tricky sometimes.

I think part of the problem is that technically the hood is still 'fit for purpose' in a loose sense of the word i.e. it still goes up & down so owners don't push as hard as they would if their car was unusable (also cause we're British & don't like to cause a scene) and dealers don't particularily pressure Nissan HQ. I'm mean, should it really take over 3 months to locate a clip that is fitted to every single roadster out there?? I'm giving my dealer until next week until I start really kicking off.

Also, I don't think a lot of people know their rights (me included), or how far they can push. Plus, I'm quite busy, so pissing around with a dealer/HQ demands a certain degree of commitment time & effort wise, which can be tricky sometimes.

Surely it's not fit for purpose though, if it's damaging a part of the car whilst it moves.

I sought our advice when i had roof issues with my 350.

Not Fit for purpose basically means there has to be something very seriously wrong with the car to stop it functioning. A roof issue like this would not satisy that criteria unfortunately.

Still not a reason to not chase and get them to fix it though, just means you cant hand the keys back within 6 motnhs and walk away with your money saying its Not fit for purpose.

I sought our advice when i had roof issues with my 350.

Not Fit for purpose basically means there has to be something very seriously wrong with the car to stop it functioning. A roof issue like this would not satisy that criteria unfortunately.

Still not a reason to not chase and get them to fix it though, just means you cant hand the keys back within 6 months and walk away with your money saying its Not fit for purpose.

But if it continues to cause wear, wears though, then the roof won't be water tight, then the roof becomes, not fit for purpose, does it not. ;) Have to play them at their own game.

• 1 month later...

TO ALL 370Z convertable owners. , the next stage of the saga........, they asked for it back was the last time, they took, it, gave it back a week later, needed clips, , I pestered them and they took it again last week. The service guy says, I am not happy with it, I have to get Nissan Technical guy in himself to look. They originally recommended roof people and it just happens it went to those he recommended.

So again not done. I should have got Nissan UK involved last year, its been exactly ONE YEAR since this started, I have been incredibly lax about it, which is not me. I have phone Nissan UK, and got a case number. They have known about roof problems for years, as you can see from the forums. I told them, you will NOT be able to rectify this, it is a DESIGN fault, the windows do not drop quick enough to miss the hood. end of!!!!

I went ballistic, so she is looking into it , fed up.

will post this in regular section for others to see as well.

peter