Don't know about anyone else....

DoogyRev

Shame on the country for making me that way. At least the welsh, Irish and scots appear to have some sort of agressive pride towards their ilk.

Everywhere has it knobs I suppose.....just the English seem to insist on being in the limelight

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame on the country for making me that way. At least the welsh, Irish and scots appear to have some sort of agressive pride towards their ilk.

Everywhere has it knobs I suppose.....just the English seem to insist on being in the limelight

Yep, the biggest ones in 10 Downing St..... :stir:

Genuine question. One I asked during a University lecture many moons ago that couldnt really be answered. I understand what it is to be Welsh, Scottish, Irish........but what IS being English?

The Celtic nations (just for eg) have a very strong cultural identity, a depth of history that is relatively isolated to their own nations (with varying degrees of outside intervention) and long periods of repression.

What makes English English? Most of not all of Englands history has been created as British (with or as a result of an action of their celtic neighbours) or performed by non nationals (Continental invasions since the begining of recorded history).

I really am not trying to instigate anything as id would genuinely like to know what people see as English/British or do people chose the name to fit their audience?

Yes it might be a bit deep but its a question when asked people struggle to answer. Football is a common one but surely that shouldnt form the basis of a cultural identity? Then you have the 'bull dog spirit, churchill etc. But isnt that intriniscally British? People refer to the Tudors (A welsh Dynasty), King Arthur (A Briton/Welsh), Richard the Lionheart (French/Norman who hated the Isle of Britain)

Anyone loud and proud to be English care to hazard an answer?

**Please please please do not take anything i have written out of context as at not point is it intended to insult**

It's a genuinely good question, so here's my take on being English for what it's worth.

Recently I've done a lot of family tree research and it transpires that I am equally of Scottish, Irish, Welsh and English pedigree (in no particular order :) ) Indeed my great grandfather x 3 was born in Ireland, married an English girl and was decorated for deeds at the battle of Waterloo, this doesn't make me want to be Irish though or indeed in any way jealous of the Irish. My Grandmother was a Scot and I loved her to bits, at the same time I am proud of that connection, however, I was born in England, raised in England and I AM English. I can't tell you that I feel proud to be English because of Winston Churchill or any one other thing, it's just that it's where I'm from and I'm proud of it. Yes we maybe seen as the "Millwall" of the UK, everyone hates us, or at least that's what the other constituent parts of this nation would have us believe but I think in some ways that just makes us even more bloody minded and proud. :shrug:

At the end of the day the UK is a fairly special place to hail from and when push comes to shove, as a combined unit, we are certainly no pushovers. So in summary, like may others, I suspect, I am proud to be British and proud to be English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish. One thing I would add is this, I'm 58 and as a kid/young man I was always proud to be British, now I think more than ever I feel more proud to be English and I think that stems from the overt individuality of the other nations, in some ways I think this pushes us to be more "English" than perhaps we used to be. It would be interesting to know how others feel. Sorry for the ramble but hope it makes some kind of sense. :)

I would suspect that in 5 generations time there wont be a white, black, yellow colour, there will be a one colour race on the planet, then it wont matter where you come from. :shrug:

In fact, it has been professed that the last remaining "original white" persons will be from the Nordic regions of the planet. How strange :surrender:

That, of course, assumes that there will still be a viable planet in 5 generations time :scare:

I would suspect that in 5 generations time there wont be a white, black, yellow colour, there will be a one colour race on the planet, then it wont matter where you come from. :shrug:

In fact, it has been professed that the last remaining "original white" persons will be from the Nordic regions of the planet. How strange :surrender:

It's a genuinely good question, so here's my take on being English for what it's worth.

Recently I've done a lot of family tree research and it transpires that I am equally of Scottish, Irish, Welsh and English pedigree (in no particular order :) ) Indeed my great grandfather x 3 was born in Ireland, married an English girl and was decorated for deeds at the battle of Waterloo, this doesn't make me want to be Irish though or indeed in any way jealous of the Irish. My Grandmother was a Scot and I loved her to bits, at the same time I am proud of that connection, however, I was born in England, raised in England and I AM English. I can't tell you that I feel proud to be English because of Winston Churchill or any one other thing, it's just that it's where I'm from and I'm proud of it. Yes we maybe seen as the "Millwall" of the UK, everyone hates us, or at least that's what the other constituent parts of this nation would have us believe but I think in some ways that just makes us even more bloody minded and proud. :shrug:

At the end of the day the UK is a fairly special place to hail from and when push comes to shove, as a combined unit, we are certainly no pushovers. So in summary, like may others, I suspect, I am proud to be British and proud to be English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish. One thing I would add is this, I'm 58 and as a kid/young man I was always proud to be British, now I think more than ever I feel more proud to be English and I think that stems from the overt individuality of the other nations, in some ways I think this pushes us to be more "English" than perhaps we used to be. It would be interesting to know how others feel. Sorry for the ramble but hope it makes some kind of sense. :)

I appreciate your attempt to answer my question and you sort of did in a way. You have stated you are proud to be English and part of it is a result of the nationalism of those around you rather than through an English cultural route. It sort of makes my point for me in that England and the English lack a cultural route and cause (if that makes sense)?

Part of my arguement at Uni was that England is such a mongrel of a nation that it neither has or has ever had a sense of identity above its current political or sporting means. Being English most of the time can be completely replaced as being British without any change in the context.

And I believe colour and racial boundaries are quite a different social arguement to identity and culture. For instance, I am white (too white really. I couldnt tan if I fell on the sun) but so was William Wallace or Stalin. Although racially we could be deemed the same, nationally and culturally we are very different.

Part of my arguement at Uni was that England is such a mongrel of a nation that it neither has or has ever had a sense of identity above its current political or sporting means.

It's nothing to do with being a mongrel nation, just look at how patriotic Americans are or for that matter Australians. Anyone who's been to rural America will have noticed the huge number of flags not only on public buildings but in peoples gardens too, I mean what's the point, I know I'm in America :wacko: Its not that English people don't have any dense of national identity its just that they are more relaxed about who they are.

Pete

..but what IS being English?*

Stella, pasties and benefits :thumbs:

Aswell as still walking around like you own half the world. Trying to act hard. Just generally talking crap. :lol:

I was born in England :surrender: but moved to Scotland when I was 4. I used to think I was English until about 7-8 when I realised its a dump and Scotland is my home.

Scotland is a much much nicer place. People are friendlier here. It's cleaner. Uni is still free. We IMO have a very progressive government. :p

But seriously what makes any body anything isn't colour or race or where you was born. It's your feeling. I feel a little bit of William Wallace in me. I feel proud when I see the blue and white flag. I've worn a kilt in England to show our national dress. I think about the rolling green hills and amazing lochs. The long days and the best summers. Irn bru and tablet. If you feel that passionately about a country who is anyone to say otherwise. Conversely a person who is a criminal steals of the state it's people should have no claim to which country they are from IMO.

Aswell as still walking around like you own half the world. Trying to act hard. Just generally talking crap. :lol:

I was born in England :surrender: but moved to Scotland when I was 4. I used to think I was English until about 7-8 when I realised its a dump and Scotland is my home.

Scotland is a much much nicer place. People are friendlier here. It's cleaner. Uni is still free. We IMO have a very progressive government. :p

But seriously what makes any body anything isn't colour or race or where you was born. It's your feeling. I feel a little bit of William Wallace in me. I feel proud when I see the blue and white flag. I've worn a kilt in England to show our national dress. I think about the rolling green hills and amazing lochs. The long days and the best summers. Irn bru and tablet. If you feel that passionately about a country who is anyone to say otherwise. Conversely a person who is a criminal steals of the state it's people should have no claim to which country they are from IMO.

Plus if anyone English starts on you (loosely translated as - looks at you with anything less than a beaming smile) your now naturally hard and scary enough (purely by being scottish) to growl at them and utter something about a 'glasgee kass' which will send his little black heart running back for the boarder.

I was born in England too but have lived in Wales for the last 51 years, moved here as a child like you did to Scotland. A bit different for me as this part of Wales has more in common with the North West of England than for example Cardiff or the Welsh speaking areas of Mid and North West Wales. In any case, I've always thought of myself as British ;) .

Pete

Cosmopolitan :shrug: Earthling :D;)

OK, somebody try and classify me then....

Born in Scotland, raised in Germany, now living in England, parents from Hong Kong.

Generally classify myself as either "Human" or "Terran" :D

Cosmopolitan :shrug: Earthling :D;)

Born in Scotland, raised in Germany, now living in England, parents from Hong Kong.

Mongrel ;)

Were your parents born in HK? What about their parents? BTW, I went to school in HK, absolutely loved it.

Very well put Graham and I echo your sentiments....

However I now have this song in my head :bang:

Thanks Dave, so do I now!!! :lol:

Very well put Graham and I echo your sentiments....

However I now have this song in my head :bang:

Kass? :lol:

I bet 95% of English people are alright but the not so nice ones stick out like a sore thumb.

It's not the other way round. Scottish people are super polite. I don't know why have such a fearsome reputation down there?

Plus if anyone English starts on you (loosely translated as - looks at you with anything less than a beaming smile) your now naturally hard and scary enough (purely by being scottish) to growl at them and utter something about a 'glasgee kass' which will send his little black heart running back for the boarder.

Were your parents born in HK? What about their parents? BTW, I went to school in HK, absolutely loved it.

Yes, genetically I am HK chinese