traction control off

Dano190485

hi i fitted my new wheels and rear spacers today and took my car out for a drive and the esp off light ( traction control ) came on and i couldnt turn the esp back on. any ideas why this is? dont really wanna drive it till its sorted so advice would be great

yes ive changed to 19s the wheels are 19 x 8 on the front and 19 x 9.5 on the rear and the tyres are 225/35 and 265/30

On 19in rims you should have 245/35 f and 275/35 r.....on 18in 225/45 f and 245/45 r. On 18in 40 profile instead of 45 worked for me but not for everybody here for some reason...

You should have used the tyre calc mate. Your ESP will go ape sh@t on those sizes :blush:

The rears are a smaller aspect ratio than the fronts and are out of OE spec more than the fronts are. Traction control expects a bigger difference in the size of the wheels and so that might be causing your problem.

Your speedo and odometer will also be out with those tyres, check this site out: http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

yes ive changed to 19s the wheels are 19 x 8 on the front and 19 x 9.5 on the rear and the tyres are 225/35 and 265/30

On 19in rims you should have 245/35 f and 275/35 r.. Your ESP will go ape sh@t on those sizes :blush:

+1 :thumbs:

Yeah, as has been said the aspect ratio should ideally be kept equal from front to rear. As Greekman said, some cars are affected worse then others.

Many fall into this trap as wheel sellers don't know about this so sell 'duff' packages.

I got the wheels second hand an tyres were already on I would like to keep the fronts as are if I can because the tyres are like new. I just want this traction control thing sorted. Could it just be a tracking thing?

No

It's to do with the rolling radius off the wheels being out of tolerance.

i think 255 35 19s would suit your current fronts best (awaits a second opinion)

265/35/19 would be closer but imo bin them and fit 245/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear

:drive1

So if I change the rears to 275/35 19r that should get over it?

no, youre not grasping how this works. The rolling radius is in relation to the the width/profile of the wheel, the 35 is a percentage of the width. From the front to the back there is a ratio for the rolling radius. The car detects how quick the front wheels are spinning and the rear wheels are spinning, if the speed is out too much then the traction control go's haywire. If its shitty front tyres on them bin them, if its premier range then sell them on here. Somebody may pick them up. 235 even looks stretched on a 8.5j rim so I imagine that your fronts look very stretch on a 9j rim.

What make of tyres are on the front ?

For 275/35/19 to work you're looking at 245 or 235/35/19 to stop the traction control getting upset.

i think 255 35 19s would suit your current fronts best (awaits a second opinion)

+1. If you want to keep the front tyres then I'd suggest a pair of 255/35R19 on the rear, it won't make your speedo any more accurate but I think it would be you're best chance of sorting out any TC problems.

The sizes you have now are quite popular on BMW 3-Series (E90 but maybe others) so if it was me I'd try and sell all four on PistonHeads and get some new 245/35R19 and 275/35R19 instead. :thumbs:

Why scrimp on the only thing keeping you in contact with the road, especially when people have told you the solution. Sometimes a bargain (which I'm assuming the wheels and tyres were) doesn't always stay a bargain ;)

Ok so I'm going to buy all new tyre so let me just check I've got 8x19 on the front and 9.5x19 on the rear so I should be getting 255/35 front and 275/35 on the rear and then everything should be all Rosie? Also just to check driving on the tyres I have at the minute won't do any harm? Just to take it the get the tyres changed which is about 5 mile? Cheers people