Have you ever heard of VMware?

stevie_350z

Have you ever heard of VMware?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever heard of VMware?

• No
    • Yes

I know there are quite a few geeks on here...

I work for a company called VMware that is currently one of the fastest software companies ever - in line with Oracle and Microsoft - yet a lot of folks haven't heard of us - hence the reason for this post.

If you have heard of VMware, in what context? Apart from our plans for world domination, which includes the destruction of Microsoft :), we do all kinds of stuff... checkout http://www.vmware.com.

If you have not heard of us, we provide software that lets you run virtual machines - ie. more than one "M$ Windows" on the same piece of tin. In fact, you can run (on the same machine, at the same time, with no problems) - windows, linux, netware, solaris. And now we let you run Windows on Apple (codenamed Fusion) - with great 3D support (checkout youtube for a demo).

Yours nosily,

Steve

Yeah we use the workstation quite a lot.

I'm trailing it on one of our bigger servers at the moment to see if its worth the cash. Having a few speed related issues at the moment.

I was hoping we could install it on our 32-way 1.2TB RAM machine but I don't think I am going to be allowed :(

Never heard of VMWare.

However, very interested. My daughter wants an Apple Laptop, but will need to be able to work with the other PC's in the house plus MS Office etc. What's best?

The best will be VMware Fusion when its available later this year. You can go out and buy Parallels now (from SWsoft) which will get you by for now if you need something today. Just be warned that if you choose parallels over VMware then you'll be missing out on some sexy stuff!

Check this out (3D windows games running on Mac, thanks to VMware Fusion - Parallels can't do this).

http://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/2007/02/cl ... _the_.html

Yeah we use the workstation quite a lot.

I'm trailing it on one of our bigger servers at the moment to see if its worth the cash. Having a few speed related issues at the moment.

I was hoping we could install it on our 32-way 1.2TB RAM machine but I don't think I am going to be allowed :(

What do you run on that machine today? SQL server? Not many apps can take advantage of that... that's what VMware is betting on - Moore's Law. With quad core, quad socket servers becoming standard soon VMware will be needed to divide up the processing power for apps.

Little known fact (outside VMware): out of the billions of CPU utilisation records we have collected globally, the average figure is 6%. We usually see it at 3.5-5% when onsite. Multiply that by a few hundred servers, sucking in power and blowing out heat and that's a lot of waste!

At the moment the machine has been partitioned into 8-way machines running either windows or linux. The machines are used for stress/reliability testing of the middle ware product I work on.

It is amazing how many CPU cycles are wasted - We have around 40/50 4/8 way machines in our team a lot of which have been sitting around doing sod all.

Just got a couple of blade servers too - quite nice to have 28 2xCPU DualCore 8GB machines.

When we are up and running a lot of our machines will be working hard 24/7

The best will be VMware Fusion when its available later this year. You can go out and buy Parallels now (from SWsoft) which will get you by for now if you need something today. Just be warned that if you choose parallels over VMware then you'll be missing out on some sexy stuff!

Check this out (3D windows games running on Mac, thanks to VMware Fusion - Parallels can't do this).

yeah I had heard about that. Will be interesting to see performance results against running nativly.

yeah I had heard about that. Will be interesting to see performance results against running nativly.

Only if that's the most important thing to you... as you said, the vast majority of customers don't use their current throughput / capacity so their move to VMware is not affected by any performance issues. Those big, performant systems are in our scope now that we can run bigger VMs (e.g. 4vCPU)... if only Intel and AMD would get a move on with their hardware virtualization esp. for MMU...

In fact, for P2Vs of old servers those buggers fly like crazy on the new hardware that VMware runs on (imagine that old NT4 system running on a PII, now its running on an AMD Opteron NUMA quad core accessing its data over a SAN... and it hasn't got a clue that is happening!) :)

VMware have created a new benchmark you might be interested called VMmark. Here's a link to it on VMTN - our QA / performance team are awesome and they quadruple check everything the kernal / monitor guys do.

http://blogs.vmware.com/performance/

If you need any help, mate, just PM me - I work in Practice Development so I have my fingers stuck into all sorts :teeth:

Steve,

Shameful marketing.....also did not expect and an Evil Machine (only joking) chap on here, thought you boys were all porkers.

I work for an ISV, in the top 5 (market cap) so know both pre and post acquire.

Just too even up, there is Zen and Virtual server, but yes VMWare is great stuff and I have many customers using masses of the stuff.

Which vertical do you cove Steve + Northern Monkey.:D

Also would like too understand why virtualise servers when people want applications virtualised. Might catch up with one of you at a show/confernece and you can convert me.

Do you know if VMs which have been imported from Workstation have performance issues over those which have been created on the GSX Server from scratch? [GSX3.0.1 which we have on a years trial]

We have found that doing disk 'things' in the VMs can be cripling i.e.

Guest - XP Pro - Unzipping a 20MB file on the desktop take 5/10 minutes with the VM on our GSX Server (IBM x440).

The same VM running on my laptop did it in a few seconds.

Lookin at the performance of the server its not hitting its discs lots so not a real hardware limit. I've no idea what it could be. The sort of thing I need to spend time 'playing', unfortunatly got lots of work on so don't have the spare time.

Do you know if VMs which have been imported from Workstation have performance issues over those which have been created on the GSX Server from scratch? [GSX3.0.1 which we have on a years trial]

Guest - XP Pro - Unzipping a 20MB file on the desktop take 5/10 minutes with the VM on our GSX Server (IBM x440).

Lookin at the performance of the server its not hitting its discs lots so not a real hardware limit. I've no idea what it could be. The sort of thing I need to spend time 'playing', unfortunatly got lots of work on so don't have the spare time.

Have you pre-allocated the virtual disk? If you haven't, it will keep asking for extensions to the underlying OS and slow things down. When you create the virtual disk for the VM, make sure its all preallocated.

Steve,

Shameful marketing.....also did not expect and an Evil Machine (only joking) chap on here, thought you boys were all porkers.

I work for an ISV, in the top 5 (market cap) so know both pre and post acquire.

Just too even up, there is Zen and Virtual server, but yes VMWare is great stuff and I have many customers using masses of the stuff.

Which vertical do you cove Steve + Northern Monkey.:D

Also would like too understand why virtualise servers when people want applications virtualised. Might catch up with one of you at a show/confernece and you can convert me.

I cover world wide, all verticals.

Damn, please don't accuse me of marketing... I only saw Bill Hicks having a go at marketing the other day on youtube :)

It seems that the geeks amongst us have heard of VMware, but the non-geeks haven't. That fits, but we expect it to change sometime soon :)

Thanks for the answers, chaps!

Have you pre-allocated the virtual disk? If you haven't, it will keep asking for extensions to the underlying OS and slow things down. When you create the virtual disk for the VM, make sure its all preallocated.

Good point. I will have to change the disk so its all pre-allocated. Still does not explain why there was such a difference between nativly on slower CPUs than on the larger server

Who me? Aye, we do lots of US / UK gov work. Ridiculously huge contracts, but got to get ridiculous income tax / national insurance give away back somehow :p

Come to the Reading meet and we can talk shop all night! :yahoo:

:lol:

PS. Assume PM = Project Manager, not Product Manager? I'm kinda like a product manager but for services not software... so I make @*!# up, then sell it and deliver it - that's the general jist anywayz :)

• 4 weeks later...