Should i come back....

un1eash

I had to sell my 56 plate GT to help fund our first house after less then a year of ownership and now we're starting to earn a bit more and will moving from a fixed rate mortgage i'm after a fun weekend car again. I still have my 88 MR2 but she's getting old and i car share alot more now for work in the other halfs Alfa GT.

The 350 use to be my everyday car and i'm after something fun again that i can play with and rejoin the Jap car scene. My shortlist of cars is a 313 Roadster, Evo 8/9/X, Hawk Eye STi/GB270 or an early S2 K Series Elise.

Any opinions, anyone had a Scooby as i really like the idea of a WRX STi?

I had a WRX STi, drank fuel like I dont know what......Its best fuel usage was.

30 Lts, too do..........28miles :scare: yes its true, it was a brand new WRX, The garage said it was normal. as the ECU needed time to "adjust"...WTF for the first 1500 miles.

I was also told that, if you use super unleaded, then use normal for a period of time, you totally screw the ECU and a new one will be needed, True or not, I dont know, but was what a Subaru mech told me. Not as fast as you think TBH or as nice to drive either.

Jut go for a 370 Z roadster like me :teeth:

Not me, surely you'd get more informed answers regarding a Scooby from a Scooby forum? :)

Scoobynet is your best bet for advice on that one. You might even recognise some people over there. ;)

Just to contrast what Zugara has said;

I found my scoob was actually no worse than my Zed is around town (mid to low 20's mpg - I did manage to get that down to a single digit once on track though :scare: ). That said, mine very much wasn't brand new. :lol: If you're looking at Hawk Eyes, that shouldn't be an issue for you either (it not being brand new, rather than the mpg :stir: )

I've not heard of fuel buggering up the ECU, but low RON fuel will munch the engine fairly efficiently unless mapped for it. It'll suffer from knock considerably more than a Zed would on low RON fuel, for example.

The power delivery is quite raw (slightly more refined in a New Age than in the classics) and it's certainly not a GT car. It feels painfully slow until the turbo spools up and you get a big shove in the back as it comes alive. It needs more working of the gearbox for it to shift but it does just stick to the road. The Hawks are quite heavy compared to earlier Imprezas too. It's a completely different car to the Zed so I'd definitely recommend test driving one before making your mind up on them.

Can't offer any insight into the others though as I've never had the pleasure, the only thing that leaps out is that the Elise would appear to be somewhat... less practical than the others you mention. :lol:

S2 K Series Elise :scare: you do know thats a rover engine !!!

Bloody good engine it is too.

Un1eash, get the Elise. Even if you hate it (which you won't), if you buy correctly you'll sell it on for what you paid for it and can then buy something bigger. Every petrol head should own one once in their life :thumbs:

Every car enthusiast should own an Elise/Exige/VX220 at some point. :thumbs:

On the wrong day on the wrong road they can be a real pain... but on the right day an absolute joy. Go-karts on steroids! Or go-kart on steroids and growth hormone in the case of the Exige.

The only thing with the elise is it'll be the most expensive to buy so i may have to wait longer. My ideal car would be a S2 111S K Series and i went to look at a standard S last month but the finances are not in place yet. You dont get much for your money but there cheap to run compared to a 350Z when it comes to tax and fuel.

S2 K Series Elise :scare: you do know thats a rover engine !!!

Bloody good engine it is too.

Un1eash, get the Elise. Even if you hate it (which you won't), if you buy correctly you'll sell it on for what you paid for it and can then buy something bigger. Every petrol head should own one once in their life :thumbs:

i'm with ekona on this out of all the cars you mention the elise is the only one that jumps off the page for me. if its a weekedn toy then the elise is perfect. pure drivers car, great fun and the rover engine is a great piece of kit, yes there have been head gasket issues, but hangar 111 brought out a revised head gasket which cures the issue. the engine is very tunable and has a great sound.

as for rover engines, their V8's are the back bones and basis for many kit cars and engine conversions. ;)

If I was to use the car every day I would lean more towards a later Toyota engines elise as there a bit more user friendly. I don't think there's any problems with the S2 k series cars if you look after them and allow them to warm up before giving it some.

As for the Alfa, its a nice car to drive and be in. We have a diesel lusso which pulls well but I'm not a fan of diesel. It's had a few common niggles but overall its fun to drive and handles well. Looks great too and you don't see many on the roads.

A VX220 Turbo can be had for a bargain... rarer than the Elise, better looking (imo) and with a great engine - lots more usable torque than the Elise and marginally faster on the road. Also generally bullet proof. A nice turbo whoosh. A great owners club and easy mod paths (e.g. Milltek staged conversions).

Have I sold it yet...?!? I do miss my VX220. But I also love the 350Z... when the time comes I don't think I would get another 350Z... simply because it is nice to have the experience of smelling all the flowers in the field (so to speak).

If my budget stretched I would love a VXR220 Turbo - very rare but £15k +.

All VX220's are rare now, there was a moonland grey Turbo in the local Lotus dealership before christmas that was going for around £12k but i didnt have the money to buy it. Wouldnt mind a VX220 but next to an Elise its going to lose out everytime for me.

A good friend of mine has had the S2 elise now for 3years with the K series engine, never missed a beat! He drives it as a daily driver and loves it. He manages up to 45mpg even with hooning around at times ;) As said so long as you look after them and treat them well it is a rock solid car and engine. Plus they hold their value, so once you have had your fun, you can sell it on for very little loss.

If it was me in your postion I would opt for the Elise, I love my zed, but for an impractical fun car the Elise wins B)

Good luck :thumbs: