And so to bed...

Southernspeed

... well, bedding in the new motor!

After buying Ian's SC kit last year Tony 'Daddy Abbey' Gillam has built me a forged bottom end motor to mount the SC on. The motor was fitted last week and Mark put a 'safe' map on it and a 5k rpm limiter so I could go and put a few miles on it before it goes back in to have the other SC pulley fitted and a final map. Mark was happy to run it in on the dyno but he knows what a pussy I am when it comes to this sort of thing so he let me do it my way and run it for a few hundred on the road.

Along with the motor there's decats and Y pipe, 370 headers and plenum spacer.

I've got to say, despite being on a lower boost, lower limiter and me probably being overly mechanically sympathetic ...... it rocks! Over taking has never been so easy and the intake noise/exhaust is amazing. I'm also getting far better fuel consumption figures than before even using boost a lot. Really smooth to drive and such linear power!

Very happy bunny :teeth: Really looking forward to getting it fully sorted next week. Huge thanks to Abbey Motorsports :thumbs::D

... well, bedding in the new motor!

After buying Ian's SC kit last year Tony 'Daddy Abbey' Gillam has built me a forged bottom end motor to mount the SC on. The motor was fitted last week and Mark put a 'safe' map on it and a 5k rpm limiter so I could go and put a few miles on it before it goes back in to have the other SC pulley fitted and a final map. Mark was happy to run it in on the dyno but he knows what a pussy I am when it comes to this sort of thing so he let me do it my way and run it for a few hundred on the road.

Along with the motor there's decats and Y pipe, 370 headers and plenum spacer.

I've got to say, despite being on a lower boost, lower limiter and me probably being overly mechanically sympathetic ...... it rocks! Over taking has never been so easy and the intake noise/exhaust is amazing. I'm also getting far better fuel consumption figures than before even using boost a lot. Really smooth to drive and such linear power!

Very happy bunny :teeth: Really looking forward to getting it fully sorted next week. Huge thanks to Abbey Motorsports :thumbs::D

I feel your pain running a motor in! I did 1100 miles bedding mine in! lol :lol:

better fuel consumption? I thought it would be much worse? I know your increasing efficiency but I thought it would be worse on fuel.

I know! But I used to struggle to keep it in the 20's now after 200 miles I'm showing 35.3 mpg.

lol... you know your OEM fuel PG Gauge does not work now! It takes a signal off injector pulse width and now you have larger injectors pulse width for a given amount of fuel is less and the gauge reads high. My gauge reads in the 40's mpg when I worked out 23mph in reality! :lol:

better fuel consumption? I thought it would be much worse? I know your increasing efficiency but I thought it would be worse on fuel.

I know! But I used to struggle to keep it in the 20's now after 200 miles I'm showing 35.3 mpg.

lol... you know your OEM fuel PG Gauge does not work now! It takes a signal off injector pulse width and now you have larger injectors pulse width for a given amount of fuel is less and the gauge reads high. My gauge reads in the 40's mpg when I worked out 23mph in reality! :lol:

Interesting! That would explain it then!!

great stuff, any vids&pics of the install?

think stillen reported decent fuel economy (better then oem) on their 370z SC when not booting it that is and keeping it to normal motorway speeds. I looked at my mpg meter when I fitted my aps kit and thought jesus Ill have the cost for this back in 2 years! lol was not to be lol, drinks petrol like a teenager drinks alcohol!

• 3 weeks later...

Motor is all bed in now and running good with the final map in (well, final for now as Mark is getting a smaller SC pulley in, which he feels will add an extra 30hp or so).

Loving the new power (even fended off a hostile attack from the rear by an S2K today with a 5th gear roll on from 70 on a long uphill slip road, no idea what gear he was in but he started an overtake pretty sharpish!). I'm still trying to get used to the new noises (mainly intake noise) that the SC and Stillen decats, Ypipe etc make, it's also got tubular headers on which I know from my Chevy days make more noise. Power is really smooth coming in with quite a rush in the higher RPMs, so it's easy to drive with the TC off as I've always done , even when it's wet (I'd imagine a TT set up is a different story with all that mid range torque??)

So all in all, well pleased :D Is the modding over? Unlikely. Although we're buying a new house I have a feeling I need a new back box :lol: . The intake is so loud it almost drowns out that lovely V6 howl from the stock box even with the race cat.

Huge thanks to Abbey Motorsport who I'd recommend without hesitation. Quite amazing that when my car was there last week they had 4 (I think?) other FI cars in..... getting as common as muck! :lol:

Newbie question, what gains do the headers give?

I never advise anyone to fit header unless the have the motor out for other work , the gain I feel isnt worth the money it costs to fit a set of headers to a Zed motor.

SS had headers fitted as we had the motor out to rebuild .They are a easy fit when the motor is out;

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I've got some miles on this set up now and am really enjoying it. Mark asked me the other day if I was enjoying the power. I know the first few times I drove it I just giggled like an idiot when it pushed me back in my seat and flew through to the rev limiter in any gear, but as I said to Mark, I'd have to drive a stock Z now to get a reality check as you get used to the power very quickly ( but you still know it's there when you use it!) Easy to see why people get sucked into the 'power chasing' thing!

The new intake noise drowned out the stock exhaust when ever you got on the skinny pedal so a Nismo exhaust was fitted and this has added yet another major grin factor.

The car has been faultless and apart from the noise and an ever so slightly delayed fire up it drives like a stock car until you want to play. Fuel consumption is acceptable too as it runs stoich most of the time again until you start pushing it.

I can see the argument / appeal of a TT set up as opposed to SC and I do like the idea of that massive midrange kick of torque but I don't think it would suit my driving style at the moment. I love (on my bikes or in the car) putting together a good set of twisties, pushing hard and I really don't think I'd want that kick of torque mid bend when the tyres are already complaining, preferring the power increase linear to the revs. But each to his own :)

Abbey are just waiting for a new pulley for the SC which Mark feels will add another 20+bhp. We're currently running just over 400 at the hubs and 360 odd ft/lb torque, and that was before the Nismo exhaust so maybe that will be worth a few ponies??

So, if anyone has come across this post because they were searching for FI info, my advice would be, if you can afford it, do it! As to whether you go SC or TT, that is going to depend on how you drive. I've not driven a TT so I'm not qualified to comment but having talked to Mark at Abbey who has driven countless TT cars of all flavours, I really don't think they're suited to what I wanted from the car.

I can however thoroughly recommend Abbey Motorsport and am very happy with the HKS GT blower :teeth:

Hi mate its funny how quick you get used to the power and what more .My first mod was hks sc i love it don,t go chasing numbers keep it nice and sweet . B):thumbs:

I know, I'm always modding my bikes .... it's hard to say know :lol: but we're just going to do this one upgrade then some suspension work and I'm done, finished, complete ........ honest :teeth: