Oil Level - HELP!

MattyV6

Hi all,

Hoping some of you with more experience can help me out. The dipstick on the Zed is driving me insane, im not 100% what level the oil is at and I dont want to be causing problems!

The engine is filled with Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w30 oil. I've just bought a couple 1L bottles for top ups as the oil level looked low to me. But I've re-checked now the bottles have arrived and im not so sure now....

Here are some pics to help explain (sorry about the focusing, camera was intent on focusing on the floor :bang: );

This is the side of the dipstick with the level markings on it;

IMG_20120404_185223.jpg

Its just under the "L" marker (it was sat on the L before I took the pic);

IMG_20120404_185358.jpg

But.... on the other side;

IMG_20120404_185528.jpg

Its higher up, and there is a massive blob well above the Max line :wacko: Confused!!

The car hasnt been started since last night, so is cold. And that reading was taken by removing the dipstick, cleaning, re-inserting, and then pulling it out fast. I've found this gives me consistent results.

Now the car drives fine, engine is very quiet, no tapping. The oil pressures in the car are just below the 60psi marker when doing 50mph in 5th (which I've read somewhere is the expected result).

Anyone give me some insight please :)

Thanks

Hmm ok.

That is after its been sat, like I said last time it was started was last night so its had around 24hours to sit lol! Dipstick was removed, cleaned, re-insterted, and pulled out quick to get that reading. Did it 3 times, always the same.

I just dont understand the massive blob on the reverse side at the top?! And the fact its under the "L" mark on the side with the markings, and quite a bit above it on the other side :wacko: Doesnt make any sense lol!

The dipstick design is poor to be fair.

What I do is take several readings, wiping the dipstick clean each time. Eventually the extra blobs will go and you will get a consistent reading. If it's on or below the "L" then add some more oil asap :thumbs:

Handbook says to get the engine up to temp then allow a good few minutes for the hot oil to settle back down before checking level. Think if you do it cold the oil is thicker and drags up the tube as you raise the dipstick spoiling the true reading.

If it was bellow the L mark would there not be a Low oil level indicator which would be on the dash....

Not true Beau ... there is no low oil level indicator on a 350Z - not on the dash and not anywhere except the dipstick

You have low oil level mate ... put a litre in now and check again tomorrow ... I'm betting that will put you half way between min and max on the dipstick ... if I'm right, follow that up with another half litre and check again after standing overnight ... that should put you up to max level on the dipstick

Oh and Colin is right ... the dipstick was designed by a dipstick

Husky 2010

I think you need to top up quite a bit with such a low reading. It is a hard to read dipstick, but when it's more at the correct sort of level, I think you will find it a bit easier to read. I always take a few readings one after the other just to be sure, as you do get a splodge or two here and there which can confuse things a bit and have you wondering just where the level is exactly.

I'd also be a bit concerned as to how the level got so apparently low in the first place. Had mine ~9 years and never had the level go down really. I do check it now and again, but I don't recall ever needing to top it up. If I ever have done it would have only been a very small ammount, certainly nothing like the quantity yours seems to need. Once you get it topped up I'd keep quite a close eye on it to see if it maintains that level or starts going down.

I think you need to top up quite a bit with such a low reading. It is a hard to read dipstick, but when it's more at the correct sort of level, I think you will find it a bit easier to read. I always take a few readings one after the other just to be sure, as you do get a splodge or two here and there which can confuse things a bit and have you wondering just where the level is exactly.

I'd also be a bit concerned as to how the level got so apparently low in the first place. Had mine ~9 years and never had the level go down really. I do check it now and again, but I don't recall ever needing to top it up. If I ever have done it would have only been a very small ammount, certainly nothing like the quantity yours seems to need. Once you get it topped up I'd keep quite a close eye on it to see if it maintains that level or starts going down.

Good advice

Some Zeds use a lot of oil ... upto 1 litre / 1000 miles

Really, wow! That seems like a heck of a rate to use oil to me. Never had any car munch through the stuff that fast. Maybe I don't thrash mine enough :lol:

Really, wow! That seems like a heck of a rate to use oil to me. Never had any car munch through the stuff that fast. Maybe I don't thrash mine enough :lol:

You really don't wanna be there ... that's why I p'ex'd mine at a dealer !

Thanks for all the input guys! I will top her up tomorrow and check again :)

Those readings are 2100 miles / 2 months after its last service. It was topped up to just over half way between Min & Max on the dipstick at that point, which was pretty much all of the 5L bottle if i remember right.

I'm pretty sure its got an oil leak somewhere tbh. Need to get the undertray off and get the engine bay steam cleaned and then check for leaks.

Its used oil quick quickly since we got it in December, usually topping up about a litre every couple months - I assume this isnt normal?? The car is an 04 plate, VQ35DE with JWT Pop Charger, 5/16 Spacer, Berks, Nismo Cat Back & UpRev map. Currently on 85k miles, and has had a top end rebuild at around 40k miles as far as i know.

Ok topped it up with a 1L bottle a couple days back and checked it after being sat overnight. Its now sat bang on the half way mark between L & H on the dipstick. Its also a lot easier to see the exact level now lol! :blush:

She is definitely using/loosing a lot of oil somewhere then. As posted above the next step is to get the bottom of the bay steam cleaned and check for leaks.

Question though.... what is the recommended oil type for a 350Z? A shop told me it was 10w40 Semi Syn? Im currently using 5w30 Fuchs Titan Race Pro S which is Fully Syn, as thats what the previous owner used and its damn good stuff. Would using a thinner oil like this cause there to be more oil burnt or a higher risk of leaking oil?

Any advice welcome :)

Hate to say this, but you might be suffering from destroyed pistons and rings.

There are various threads concerning this.

'fraid so ... it's probably going past the rings like mine was

If there are no obvious leaks given the amount of oil you are putting in, it does look like engine wear - quite possibly a result of less than 98 octane being regularly put in by the previous owner(s) :shrug:

Well the previous owner bought the car at around 40k miles at auction. The car was purchased with a noisy top end. He had the top end stripped & rebuilt, with new cam followers fitted as they were worn and causing the noise. Since this the engine has been running sweet and is silent even on a cold cold start. He had always used Shell V-Power fuel, and never used any 95ron as far as I know, and I like I said had always used Titan Race Pro S oil for it as well and I have lots of receipts to prove this.

Are there any major worries if it is burning a fair amount of oil? Other than having to check and re-fill regularly?? It runs really nice, smooth, and very powerful. There are no signs of bluey smoke from the exhaust to suggest its burning a lot of oil?

Ok topped it up with a 1L bottle a couple days back and checked it after being sat overnight. Its now sat bang on the half way mark between L & H on the dipstick. Its also a lot easier to see the exact level now lol! :blush:

She is definitely using/loosing a lot of oil somewhere then. As posted above the next step is to get the bottom of the bay steam cleaned and check for leaks.

Question though.... what is the recommended oil type for a 350Z? A shop told me it was 10w40 Semi Syn? Im currently using 5w30 Fuchs Titan Race Pro S which is Fully Syn, as thats what the previous owner used and its damn good stuff. Would using a thinner oil like this cause there to be more oil burnt or a higher risk of leaking oil?

Any advice welcome :)

Is there any reason why you don't fill it to the top? I would keep the level up at the Max line if it were me. :shrug: That way its much easier to monitor and it makes it less likely to fall below the minimum causing further damage.

Regarding the oil - the Pro S is top stuff :thumbs: I use the 10w/40 on mine. It might help a bit with oil consumption if you were to use a thicker oil. 10w/40 would be fine. You could go as far as 15w50 but if you do a lot of short journeys I wouldn't recommend it as it may not get warm enough and you could get a build up of moisture in the oil.

There are no signs of bluey smoke from the exhaust to suggest its burning a lot of oil?

The cats tend to hide any smoke. (assuming your Berks are HFC and not decats).

Before you worry, I would remove the under tray, leave a sheet of cardboard under the car and leave it running for 20 mins or so then let it stand overnight. Have a look in the morning for any signs of oil leaks.

If there aren't any...then its burning it.

Best to top up to the Max. mark and carry out a proper oil consumption test to establish exactly how much oil you are loosing.

If there are no visable leaks then it has got to be burning the oil and with the head/heads having been off recently for work, then I would firstly be looking at the valve stem oil seals and then the pistons, rings and bores.

The engine is best removed for all the above.

Alex :)

Is there any reason why you don't fill it to the top? I would keep the level up at the Max line if it were me. :shrug: That way its much easier to monitor and it makes it less likely to fall below the minimum causing further damage.

Regarding the oil - the Pro S is top stuff :thumbs: I use the 10w/40 on mine. It might help a bit with oil consumption if you were to use a thicker oil. 10w/40 would be fine. You could go as far as 15w50 but if you do a lot of short journeys I wouldn't recommend it as it may not get warm enough and you could get a build up of moisture in the oil.

Only because that was all the oil I had left both times lol! Has conveniently filled it to the half way marker both times.

Thanks for the advice with the oil. Will give 10w40 Pro S a go next time and see if this makes a difference. :)

The cats tend to hide any smoke. (assuming your Berks are HFC and not decats).

Before you worry, I would remove the under tray, leave a sheet of cardboard under the car and leave it running for 20 mins or so then let it stand overnight. Have a look in the morning for any signs of oil leaks.

If there aren't any...then its burning it.

The Berks are HFC yes. Didnt realise that would hide blue smoke :( I did notice yesterday when booting it with the window down from stop to around 90ish, that you could smell the car was a bit "hot", maybe with a hint of oil.

Undertray will be removed as soon as I can, underneath of the bay steam cleaned and then I'll give that cardboard trick a go, thanks for the tip :thumbs:

Best to top up to the Max. mark and carry out a proper oil consumption test to establish exactly how much oil you are loosing.

If there are no visable leaks then it has got to be burning the oil and with the head/heads having been off recently for work, then I would firstly be looking at the valve stem oil seals and then the pistons, rings and bores.

The engine is best removed for all the above.

Alex :)

The car is on 85k now, so the top end work was carried out 45k miles ago / around 4 years.

What did you mean by a "proper oil consumption test"? Could you explain further :)