2012 BTCC Thread

brillomaster

This probably isnt the right place for this, but couldnt seem to find anywhere better! Mods feel free to move somewhere more appropriate if needs be.

WARNING - here be spoilers if you havent watched the races yet!

Did anyone watch the BTCC today at Brands Hatch? What a day of racing!

Race one: Personally i think Plato was in the wrong on Newsham - the gap wasnt there imo, there was no way Plato would have made that stick through there - three up through Paddock? No chance!

Loved the way he then said after the second race 'this is how a seasoned vet moves over in paddock hill bend...'

Still have much respect for him, but didnt like the move myself.

Race three: What carnage! I can only imagine what it would be like for Onslow-Cole to be going straight one minute, then doing a neat 720 the next minute! could have been a lot worse than it was, but everyone seemed to park up nicely.

So from rounds 1,2 and 3, its looking like a Neal/Plato battle so far... the MG has no business being that quick!

A cracking day's racing all round really. I don't particularly like Jason Plato, he seems to think a bit much of himself especially when it comes to who should get out of his way etc. However you have to have a grudging respect for any guy who can get into a brand new car (which looked like a handful) and be on top of the podium within three races.

DB

A cracking day's racing all round really. I don't particularly like Jason Plato, he seems to think a bit much of himself especially when it comes to who should get out of his way etc. However you have to have a grudging respect for any guy who can get into a brand new car (which looked like a handful) and be on top of the podium within three races.

DB

I agree he's a cocky sod, but he can drive. There was some feature on Fifth Gear (new Scooby vs Evo I think) where he drifted past Tiff on the inside, he was bloody close :drive1

That is true, taking a brand new car and making it perform like that. Although saying that, the Civics are all new for this year, and they are flying no problems - i suppose they do have the factory behind them with a good few years campaigning the previous model civic to great success.

Plato is turning into a bit of an old hand at the touring car business, getting a bit grouchy at times. Same with Matt Neal, if he doesnt like something someone is doing he will say so, plus i seem to remember last season Matt Neal spent a lot of time moaning about not having enough pace!

Hopefully Shedden's car will sort itself out, hes one of the old hands who still seems to be a nice guy!

An amazing start to the season. I must admit I'm a Plato fan though he does get annoying, always moaning about something. He's also super aggresive on track - I'd have thought he'd have taken it a little easier, wouldn't be good for the team budget if he'd have smashed the car up first outing. But results talk and you can't argue with what he's done.

I love the replay of the 2011 series race where Neal took his colleague out on the last corner of the race, I remember shouting at the TV that day, amazing spectacle. I find this soooo much more entertaining than F1 and I'm hoping I can view this online from Toronto as I was planning on really following it this year.

I love how they've simplified the field as well, all turbo'd cars.

I think this will be a very interesting season.

I initially thought Plato's overtake in the first race was a bit suspect, but seeing it again from the onboard camera of his car, the gap does open up pretty wide. And as he had so much more speed I'm not surprised he went for it, I think most of the other drivers would have done the same.

• 2 weeks later...

well there was some action at Donington! great racing again, a lot of respect shown with cars running side by side for a lot of the track. And then again not so much respect shown by other drivers... the usual culprits!

However, say what you will about Plato, but 17th on the grid to 2nd across the line is an achievement... probably should have settled for third! I think i believe his story... only cos i can't believe he would risk not finishing at all to move up from third to second :wacko:

He claimed the guy in front locked up. I saw no tyre smoke. It was a deliberate push. There's no way that was a fair manoeuvre.

Credit to Plato for his route to 3rd place, but 2nd position was underhand.

He claimed the guy in front locked up. I saw no tyre smoke. It was a deliberate push. There's no way that was a fair manoeuvre.

Credit to Plato for his route to 3rd place, but 2nd position was underhand.

+1 :nono:

+1 on the more exciting than F1, without a doubt. 16 laps of out and out warfare, especially the random grid reverse race :D

Plus you can actually see the the thought process - the way a driver cut inside at the first corner, run side by side for half the lap, then finally finish the move at the old hairpin :thumbs:

Plus with the variation in cars and tyres, you can actually track the progression of the cars through a race - for example the ballistic off the line pace of the BMWs before the FWD cars catch up.

Yup, some good action in the first 6 rounds.

I am a fan of Plato, however he is pushing his luck with all his antics.

He picked up a mega fine and had points put on his licence 2 weeks ago and was lucky not to escape the same yesterday at Donny.

The way that he was barging into the back of Shedden all the way down the hill was o so wrong, however you get your just rewards and he was penalised for that as well.

Race three at Donington Park was struck by controversy with two penalties being applied to the top three finishers. Mat Jackson crossed the line first, but was excluded for a turbo boost-related infringement, handing victory to Gordon Shedden.

So Jackson was excluded, Plato was handed a two-second penalty for his taps on Gordon Shedden. Having crossed the line second, Plato was demoted to third, only to re-inherit second place following Jackson’s exclusion.

So Shedden actually won the race having finished in 3rd position.

I would call that a result for our local Knockhill man :#1:

Alex :)

Lol thats a turn up for the books! I feel for Matt Jackson though, i'm actually quite liking his driving and i think he deserved that win, must have been very frustrating.

Happy that Shedden won in the end, from what i've seen over the past few years hes a solid dependable driver, but more importantly, he races cleanly!

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm, just watched the highlights and well, that was a bit damp! Thats some good skills those boys having keeping cars on the track (mostly)

Plato still on top, a good couple of results for him, although the honda boys make it look easy as usual.

Really starting to have a lot of respect for Mat Jackson, he shot off in the first race of the day in terrible conditions to an easy win before it was red flagged, and wasnt doing too badly in race two either.

I'm going to try and get to the rounds at Rockingham and Silverstone in a few months if anyone is interested?