High vs Low Octane... Paranoid?

slimjim

I have ALWAYS filled the Zed with Tesco 102, V-Power or BP Ultimate

Due to fecking MUPPETS ... and driving to FOUR different stations yesterday... I couldn't find any high octane fuel anywhere.

So I ended up filling with normal Shell, as that is all I could get hold of.

I am SURE it is just paranoia. But the car seems a little less responsive... but mostly it seems to be ticking over slightly rougher...

All this is in my head isn't it? :shrug:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in the hand book Jim. Think it's only quarter fill or half fill the tank and mix with high octain as soon as you can.

Also think it's don't rev above 5K. Mark at Abby will probably comment when he sees your post.

Most probably the ECU self learning so will run a little rough.

No it's not just in your head.

If the regular Shell is 95 RON then it will feel minutely sluggish.

Just make sure you run 97RON or above you fill up next time, which you will anyway from what you are saying.

Only prolonged exposure to 95 RON will cause deterioration to the engine (see thread by Abbey MS)

I'm sure it'll be fine if you don't over rev and fill up with the good stuff as soon as you can.

It could very well feel sluggish as it could be winding the timing back to avoid knock.

If its worrying you go and get a couple of bottles of octane booster and stick that in.

Oh FFS!!! ....

You mean this one? viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58599

Can I do anything about it?

Needed to do a pretty long distance, then the trip was cancelled. So my car is now brimmed with 95.

Is there some sort of Octane booster I can buy from Hellfrauds? (Always presumed that stuff didn't do anything)

Bugger, Bugger, Bugger, Bugger, Bugger....... :headhurt:

Oh FFS!!! ....

You mean this one? viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58599

Can I do anything about it?

Needed to do a pretty long distance, then the trip was cancelled. So my car is now brimmed with 95.

Is there some sort of Octane booster I can buy from Hellfrauds? (Always presumed that stuff didn't do anything)

Bugger, Bugger, Bugger, Bugger, Bugger....... :headhurt:

Yeah they do increase the octane, but not by much. You'll have to read the bottles and see which is best. I would think you would have to put at least 2 bottles maybe 3 into a full Zed tank though which is gonna be pricey.

Just drive it gently and you'll be ok. :)

Cheers peeps...

Seen this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping

I'd prefer to stick some in AND take it easy... if it is really going to help out.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Fecking panic buying *******!!!!

Yeah, I have used that one myself once :blush: Look at the reviews :lol: Its gonna really improve the SOUND of your car, much more racy ! :lol:

Makes me laugh, the rover a nd fiesta drivers will pay £21 for a bottle of this....Why don't they just pay the extra fiver and fill up with Super in the first place :wacko::wacko: Oh I know.....the bottle says NOS!! :lol:

Yeah, I have used that one myself once :blush: Look at the reviews :lol: Its gonna really improve the SOUND of your car, much more racy ! :lol:

"all round a good product.put it into my 2010 fiesta zetec s (1.6 new shape).i noticed that there was a little bit of lag when puting my foot down so thought this might help.i have to say there was a noticable difference.very little hesitation for the car to take off when i put my foot down.pulling away from traffic light its even more noticable.i have got a k&n induction kit on my car which makes a great noise but with the nos there is definatley a more raspy sound from the exhaust.wont make a 1.4 turn into a 2.5 but definatly helps wiv throttle response.the only issue i had was getting it into the fual tank as i have fuel filler that will only accept correct nozzle."

:lol:

Think I might risk a bottle.

It's £20 a bottle... but that is how much cheaper the fill up was with regular anyway.

Damn, Damn, Damn .... :(

I really wouldn't stress about it too much. As others have said just don't thrash the nuts off it and you won't do any damage. On a nice long cruise it will purr along nicely whatever is in the tank.

Cheers El 'Capitan.

Just mega p1ssed about it. Tank is FULL of 95 (pretty sure "normal" Shell is 95, right?) so I will have to do 400 odd miles before I can put proper fuel in. :rant:

Or am I better off doing 100 miles and then topping up with V-Power? :shrug:

Like Keyser said, just run down half a tank like a granny and then top up with V-Power.

Don't waste your money on octane boosters, save that cash towards the V-Power :thumbs:

Strike isn't on the boards anyway, it was only the government playing mind games to boost end of financial year revenue ;)

Keep it under 4kRPM and run the tank down to a half, then top up with Super and keep it under 4kRPM again until you've run the tank down and refilled. If you go over ~5kRPM then the knock sensor wont be able to wind back the timing properly and avoid knock so this is the easiest way to protect the engine til you have good stuff in it again.

Nothing to worry about if you drive it like Miss Daisy for a while

Had the same problem today, no super unleaded anywhere in Shrewsbury!! Fuel tank light was on by the time I reached Tescos, my last option, so had to put in a tenners worth of standard 95 ron. Thankfully have a second car so will fill up with super later in the week when the nonsense has hopefully concluded. What really infuriates me is that there was absolutely no need for all this panic buying, if everybody had acted responsibly and filled up only when they needed fuel there wouldn't have been a shortage. These are the same imbeciles who clear the shelves of bread at Christmas, brain dead the lot of em :angry::rant::bang:

Keep it under 4kRPM and run the tank down to a half, then top up with Super and keep it under 4kRPM again until you've run the tank down and refilled. If you go over ~5kRPM then the knock sensor wont be able to wind back the timing properly and avoid knock so this is the easiest way to protect the engine til you have good stuff in it again.

Nothing to worry about if you drive it like Miss Daisy for a while

Didn't know any of this when I filled it up.... So she has been WELL over 4k for about 60 miles. Presuming this will have no lasting effects?

I did think about syphoning it all out but think it's not worth the hassle. Plus, everyone I know now run diesels... :yuck:

Chris, where is the point in running it down to half way, keeping it below 4k, then topping it back up with V-P and then running it down to 0 still keeping it under 4k?

Am I not just better off keeping it under 4k for the whole of the 95 tank then fill a FULL tank with V-P? :shrug:

Its up to you matey, but if you NEED to venture over 4kRPM in an emergency before you run the tank out, I'd rather have a 50/50 mix in there than half a tank of 95RON ;)

I wouldnt imagine in 60 miles you've done any real damage - but there is a high chance there would have been knock - how much damage thats done you wont know unless you strip the engine. Given how long its taken some on 95RON to kill the engine, I'd guess you'll be fine. Just drive it like Miss Daisy now until you get the good stuff back in :thumbs:

Its up to you matey, but if you NEED to venture over 4kRPM in an emergency before you run the tank out, I'd rather have a 50/50 mix in there than half a tank of 95RON ;)

I wouldnt imagine in 60 miles you've done any real damage - but there is a high chance there would have been knock - how much damage thats done you wont know unless you strip the engine. Given how long its taken some on 95RON to kill the engine, I'd guess you'll be fine. Just drive it like Miss Daisy now until you get the good stuff back in :thumbs:

Good point....

Will do bud... :thumbs:

My problem is... I hardly use her at all at the moment. so it will take a LONG time to get her to even half full.

Might think about doing the syphoning thing.... just have to find someone who wants the awful low octane stuff. :lol:

Its obviously worrying you, and is gonna take a while to use the petrol you have, so why not just put some octane booster in and be done with it? :shrug:

Then you don't have the worry of syphoning etc.....

I was thinking that... but peeps are saying not to bother...

If the Octane booster will WORK... I'd prefer to spend the cash and get it in the tank.

Gonna be £44 mind! As it is a £22 bottle for each 50L ...

but I'd prefer to pay the money IF they work; and have peace of mind, as Mcgoo suggested.

Think the Zed tank has an anti siphon device at the bottom of the tank. Sure there are ways to get the fuel out though if you are that worried.

Not sure I'd trust octane booster, I'd rather drive at a lower pace for a month tbh. Remember you can still take it to 4-5kRPM, that can still make the Zed shift ;)

Dunno what the panic is to be blunt .. my 350Z was bought from new and is now upto the low 60k and have only ever put standard petrol in. Been serviced at regular intervals and no problems what-so-ever.

To be blunt the only difference is that it will give you a better performance hit, but as others have said unless your really in need of the extra couple of BHP then not worth the bother for the cost. Your not gonna damage your engine or wear out your internal components any faster....

Got a big lump of a BMW R1200RT bike and the manual also swears blind that must use the top grade fuel as is a boxter engine that apparently needs the better grade fuel. Never bothered and that merry beast is now over 50k again with regular services and never missed a beat.

Dunno what the panic is to be blunt .. my 350Z was bought from new and is now upto the low 60k and have only ever put standard petrol in. Been serviced at regular intervals and no problems what-so-ever.

You might want to do some more research into that one matey...

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58599