Japspeed k1 affect on mpg?

Whazza22

Japspeed K1 improves your MPG by at least 50% because you will never EVER go above 3k revs.

Ah, thats where your wrong. The exhaust is probably the most ear numbing at 2000rpm. Whereas if you cruise at 3k or upwards its actually bearable. :thumbs:

Ive noticed no difference in mpg before or after with my K1. Done nearly 20k with it on now. Can definitely say you really need ear plugs with it though.

The K1 sounds amazing with the bungs in but I agree it is headache inducing with the bungs removed.

93Db Vs104Db - static test at 3/4 Rpm

I'm planning to remove the bullet silencer in the mid pipe and fit a Jetex 16" x 8" x 6" silencer to see if that means I can remove the bungs!!!

The K1 sounds amazing with the bungs in but I agree it is headache inducing with the bungs removed.

93Db Vs104Db

Unless its a roadster... i recorded over 100db in my cabin with the roof up when I tested my K1. Ive never taken the baffles out yet. I darent. If its this loud with them in, god knows what it will be like with them out. Either that, or I suspect the baffles in mine may be shot in which case taking them out probably wont make much difference.

On the plus side, my missus still refuses point blank to get into the zed as whenever we go anywhere in it, her ears are ringing for 2 days afterwards...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys

How much did you guys get your Japspeed k1 for? Also how much is labour for installation?

I'm seriously considering upgrading with it but I'm just wary about the fact that you guys have mentioned that you will need earplugs lol.gif

Car service

Edited by kaka

Hey guys

How much did you guys get your Japspeed k1 for? Also how much is labour for installation?

I'm seriously considering upgrading with it but I'm just wary about the fact that you guys have mentioned that you will need earplugs :lol:

Last time I looked, new they are about £350, but 2nd hand you can pick them up for £160->£175.

Labour for installation will vary upon where you take it and how much "adjustment" the system needs to fit. They are renown for not being a good fit and very often need a bit of bending etc. to fit. Therefore, if you can buy a 2nd hand system, chances are it fitted fine on the car it came off so all the adjusting has already been done.

When I fitted mine, it was a nightmare. Not because of any problems with the K1 system, but trying to get the old Nissan OEM exhaust off was a right pain. Took me hours of trying to loosen bolts and getting it off. Once off, fitting the K1 was a piece of cake.

For the money they are pretty cheap, and do look good under the car. Id go for it, and if you dont like it, you can just sell it on and go for a different option.

Rabbitstew said...

Last time I looked, new they are about £350, but 2nd hand you can pick them up for £160->£175.

Labour for installation will vary upon where you take it and how much "adjustment" the system needs to fit. They are renown for not being a good fit and very often need a bit of bending etc. to fit. Therefore, if you can buy a 2nd hand system, chances are it fitted fine on the car it came off so all the adjusting has already been done.

When I fitted mine, it was a nightmare. Not because of any problems with the K1 system, but trying to get the old Nissan OEM exhaust off was a right pain. Took me hours of trying to loosen bolts and getting it off. Once off, fitting the K1 was a piece of cake.

For the money they are pretty cheap, and do look good under the car. Id go for it, and if you dont like it, you can just sell it on and go for a different option.

Ha Ha, I had the exact opposite experience. The old system came off no problem, just a bit of WD40 and all the nuts came off easily. Fitting my bargain buy E bay K2 "never fitted" was another matter. Ended up taking it to a local Stainless Steel exhaust firm (J P Exhausts) who adjusted it for me. By adjusted, I mean totally rebuilt it!

• 6 months later...

1st post :thumbs:

Hey guys

I'm seriously considering upgrading with it but I'm just wary about the fact that you guys have mentioned that you will need earplugs lol.gif

Car service

2nd post answering own question 6 months later :doh:

I still haven't got one lol, I think they are going for around £200 though

no introduction fella :shrug:

I have a K2 system so not quite the same as the Op . . . however

The sound is so nice I find myself accelerating off roundabouts, knowing I have to brake for the lights in 150 yards - but do it anyway just to hear the beautiful howl as the revs rise . . . and then there's the tunnels, you just have to give her some beans (with the window down) as you go through -

So - I reckon it knocks 5 or 10% off your mpg but it's the oh-so-lovely sound that makes you do it! :-)