Number plate rules to be relaxed by DfT

ATTAK Z

Do you think this is a good idea ?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea ?

• No
    • Yes
    • Not sure ... may make my mind up after discussion

It is reported in the Sunday Times today that owners of personalised plates will be allowed to move letters and numbers closer together to more easily spell words under a relaxation of the rules to be announced this summer

I can understand the issue with actively trying to change letters to read something different, but spacing shouldn't be a concern. You can read L33 TOX just as easily as L33TOX. Or M5 5OUP - M55 OUP. However cutting letters or adding on a dot here and there to change the letter should still be a no no. Also small front plates should be allowed. Or even better no front plate :D

[quote="

Do agree with smaller/no plate option tho (Like motorbikes don't have front plates so.....)

I had bikes for quite a while, last one was a Moto Morini 500 ~~~~ years ago. I seem to recall that bikes did have front number plates mounted vertical on the front mudguard (numbers both sides) but they found they acted like Stanley knives in an accident so the requirement was dropped. Is my memory right? ;)

Mike

[quote name="

Do agree with smaller/no plate option tho (Like motorbikes don't have front plates so.....)

I had bikes for quite a while' date=' last one was a Moto Morini 500 ~~~~ years ago. I seem to recall that bikes did have front number plates mounted vertical on the front mudguard (numbers both sides) but they found they acted like Stanley knives in an accident so the requirement was dropped. Is my memory right? ;)

Mike[/quote]

Yes your exactly right :thumbs:

under a relaxation of the rules to be announced this summer

This is going to cause more problems as I see it. Relaxation isn't abandonment, how will owners know if their plate is now legal, how will The Police know? Will everyone have to have clearance from The DVLA for how they space their plate and where they put their screws and carry a certificate around with them :shrug: .

Pete

Never going to happen. No reason why it should, other than to placate owners of dodgy plates who are bitter because they couldn't afford the proper version.

On the other hand the DVLA themselves happily sell,and for large amounts in some cases,registrations that only make sense if mis-spaced or otherwise mis-represented...official hypocrisy at its worse!!