Notice the road tax cost is cheaper on a 2005model

Areasix

when i was looking to buy i was looking for a 2005 car due to the lower tax... it was after having a look around i came to the conclusion that for an extra £4 a week in tax i could pay similar money and get a newer car with lower miles for the same price as people were asking for a 2005 car.

to me it was a no brainer... i bought the newer car and pay the higher tax and do not regret it one bit

If you can get the newer model with lower mileage, then I'd pay the extra in tax and hope to claw back some of that in lower repairs costs and a better sell on cost.

All depends on personal circumstances, but it does hurt paying in the £400's for road tax!

Thanks especially Steve m for feedback sorry if I did not make it clear I was trying to work out if paying the extra road tax meant the new model was far better and worth going for.

Sounds like you've already done loads of research from the extensive amounts of information available. What works best for you?

Or buy a GT4 that has the 06 revup engine without the 06 tax ;)

Personally, I'd be buying the MY06 for the interior and exterior changes alone.

I found the differences in engine to be virtually undetectable. I know that if I bought a MY03 car again, within weeks I'd be buying LED rear lights (circa £300) and new headlights if they came up (Guessing at £600 or so?) and then would be left with a dated interior. Once I'd spent the extra on the stuff above I might as well have paid the extra £200 in tax and got them as standard on the MY06 car.....

Thats if you want those bits though. Plus the additional cost of the 06 car in the first place. The 06MY is a step up in terms of some items, and yes, its cheaper to just buy the 06 car than it is to upgrade an 03 to an 06, but its not a cheap upgrade.

However, depending on mileage, then the £200 extra on the road tax will be peanuts compared to the fuel cost of either model anyway. At 8000 miles a year, you are looking at over 1200 litres of fuel, or about £1700. So the £200 extra to tax the car isnt really too much to worry about. :blush:

As I want to buy a 350z for sunny day driving I notice the saving on car tax by buying a 2005 model compared to the upgraded 2006

It's the registration date, not the model. As it happened the facelifted version was available for delivery on April 1st 2006 so there were a number of pre facelifts that the dealers had left over which were registered after the cutoff date, somewhere around March 16th 2006 I think. FYI, An extremely small number of facelifts were registered before the cutoff too (press cars and Nissan publicity cars) and these lucky people pay the lower rate of tax.

Pete