Car Wrapping services - Advice and experiences

agentsmith350

Iv been itching to get a gloss white wrap for some time now and would like any of your opinions on wrapping in general , any experiences good and bad , Average prices and also is there anywere in or around Cumbria that anyone knows of/has experiences with ?

Iv found a few around 2 hours away but would prefer to go somewhere someone has had experience with.

Dom

my mate had his r32 golf wrapped and it was a nightmare to look after.

He hated it eventually and wish he never done it as the upkeep was so hard. It was constantly damaged with stonechips, people walking by hitting it with bags etc.

It was done by a very large reputable country wide company

I would get a quote from RT, they did their own Zed in white and it looked mint.

Of course you have to look after it but

A) it protects your bodywork underneath

B) it's cheaper than a respray

C) you can rip it off if you get bored

D) it won't put off buyers when you come to sell, sometimes buyers are put off if a car has had a respray.

I think they are great IMO

I've never seen a wrap that looked good up close. At some point, you have to have join lines and no matter how hard you try to cover these up (putting them on sides that face down, or on the in side of door handles etc) they are always there and once you see them, it always looks awful. From a distance they're fine, and certainly cheaper than a decent paint job, but it's not something I'd ever consider as a realistic alternative unless it was for a one-off like a show or a LeMans trip or something.

The potential damage was main worry , if someone were to brush against it getting in the car with a zip or something i wouldnt want it to tear , On the way to work this morning a motherfu*ker of a stone hit somewere and i thought to myself if the wrap was on would that have torn a bit ?

Thanks for the replys so far anyway keep em coming its helping me alot and no doubt others too :thumbs:

I would like to hear from someone who has had a wrap removed as well , something that concerns me is how they remove and reattach the trim/badges and cut the material while on the car , when watching it online surely it would scratch the paintwork/cut up the rubber seals ?

Lastly , i also have a bodykit on and am not sure if the heat wrapping would affect its shape and paint so if anyone has had a kit wrapped could you tell us if it went smoothly ?

I carbon wrapped the front grille on an Astra I had and it does look good...until a stone chip took some of it off and it looked terrible. They patched it up free of charge (Totally Dynamic Redhill) but I knew the patch was there, and it does bug you. When it is first done it does look amazing I have to say, its just that it does tear easily unfortunately. If you are going for a carbon or matte look then wrap seems to work very well. Otherwise spray job probably best?

Cheers , Yeah il ask RT As well as this thread , Im after the opionion/advise from people who have had it done as well as the Sellers.

Thought about spray but the cost would be near double and the paintwork at the moment is still in "A" condition so at least a wrap would protect this as well rather than rub it all down :scare: .

Not all Vinyl is the same.

The 3M vinyl tends to chip away frm stone chips and scratch easily mainly because it's not a very forgiving material and quite brittle.

The Hexis we use can stretch up to 50% from it's original form before breaking so if has some form of buoyancy and less brittle.

As some of you know from seeing my car, I too have stone chips from my "occasional driving sessions B) " but they only appear as tiny pin pricks and can hardly be seen.

Unless it's actually keyed or scraped, the Hexis vinyl is actually very durable.

Its a shame you're all the way in Cumbria though agensmith.

Not all Vinyl is the same.

The 3M vinyl tends to chip away frm stone chips and scratch easily mainly because it's not a very forgiving material and quite brittle.

The Hexis we use can stretch up to 50% from it's original form before breaking so if has some form of buoyancy and less brittle.

As some of you know from seeing my car, I too have stone chips from my "occasional driving sessions B) " but they only appear as tiny pin pricks and can hardly be seen.

Unless it's actually keyed or scraped, the Hexis vinyl is actually very durable.

Its a shame you're all the way in Cumbria though agensmith.

Thanks ,

Yeah id be half tempted to come down to you guys but would add a hefty additional cost of hotel and fuel to the bill

I got my car wrapped from RT Performance, and it is the best mod I have done. I will get every car I own wrapped matte black :lol:. For the money I spent, theres nothing else that could have changed my car this much! From close up everyone believes its a paint job, until I tell them its a wrap!

Something that nobody has mentioned is that if you do develop a scratch/tear it's cheaper to re-wrap that panel than to respray. I'm guessing if something hit's your car hard enough to rip the vinyl it would be hard enough to cause a rather bad scratch on the paint work anyway. BTW, RT-P is fairly close to Twickers if you like rugby, could be a good excuse to get away for a weekend. ;)

hadz your car's been legendary in our portfolio. B)

Nice one Hayden. I think we're goinna have to use the rugby line as a sales pitch in future. :lol:

It would probably be better to get a return flight in stead of a hotel agentsmith as it takes approx 5 days for us to wrap your car. As we're near heathrow we can always drop you off.

It'll probably the least we could do if you're driving all the way to us.

What do these wrapped cars look like e.g. when you open the doors, the boot, the bonnet etc. If you go for a different colour fron the original, does it look naff on these interior areas? I have seen great photos of wrapped cars but always with the doors closed etc. Anyone show how they look with the doors open? Strange question maybe but I wonder whether it looks bad if there actually is the original base paint showing through. I had my pearlescent white roadster resprayed pearlescent white because a) I do really like the colour and B) wasn't sure whether a colour change would look bad with a different interior body colour. Anyone got any photos? I'd really like to get my roadster wrapped in a pearlescent orange which with the black top would look fantastic from some pics I've seen. Cheers

It would probably be better to get a return flight in stead of a hotel agentsmith as it takes approx 5 days for us to wrap your car. As we're near heathrow we can always drop you off.

It'll probably the least we could do if you're driving all the way to us.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I live in the same part of the world as Agentsmith(Dom)you say it takes around 5 days to wrap, how long would it take you guys to fit the chargespeed rear and skirts and spray them?

Ok I have just seen this thread. As many of you know I had a Matt Orange 350z, which was wrapped. I still think that was my best mod by far as it totally transformed the car. Yes I know it is very much a marmite colour bla bla bla but the wrap itself was fantastic. The whole reason I got a wrap was... I wasnt happy with the paint jobs that had been done on my aftermarket prodocts i.e. bodykit. I just felt they never looked the same colour as the rest of the car which really bugged the hell out of me. However once I got the wrap I was back to being a happy man again :lol: Now there are loads of people out there who call themself a professional outfit but really couldnt wrap for sh!t... so I took mine to Totally Dynamic who have franchises throughout the U.K. To give them their due... they really did a fantastic job.. no seems or parts that stuck out like a sore thumb, I also opted to get the side sills done etc as to me there is no point paying all that money then opening your door to find a different colour. Now yes it does get stone chips just like paint but as RT states its like small pin holes.. I dont think the vinyl was that easy to tear as my mrs did a good job scraping by the car with her handbag etc and it never tore. I defo agree with the point of it being cheaper to re wrap than to get a spray paint job and also its likely to be a closer colour match. I would defo wrap a car again but always in a Matt colour as I am not a 100% sure of the finish that the gloss wraps have. I have attatched a few pics of the key areas people always look..... they are not the best so I do apoligise and do excuse the weird pic of the girl lol... she did however have a great..................... smile ;):lol:

IMG_0667.jpg

SDC12076-1.jpg

STS4-1.jpg

engine-1.jpg