Braking technique on track?

andlid

What's the best braking technique on track?

Meaning brake for longer with progressively hardening braking force or brake later and really hard?

Just wondering if it would be any difference in the heat build-up?

And other braking techniques would be greatly appreciated ;)

Meaning brake for longer with progressively hardening braking force or brake later and really hard?

Buy better discs and pads :thumbs:

Threshold braking

http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/braking.htm

It's worth going on a performance course with someone like colin at http://www.catdrivertraining.co.uk.

Expensive but worth the effort. (lot cheaper than performance mods)

I learned more in day with him than I have in the last 30 years of driving.

nice bit of reading :thumbs:

When hitting the apex don't be worried about cutting the corner slightly. During a corner, the weight is transferred to the outside wheels, and thus these are doing most of the gripping. Putting the inside wheels slightly into the gravel shouldn't be too much of an issue.

:lol:

Buy better discs and pads :thumbs:

that's obviously an option, you forgot tyres, suspension setup.

(and a redbull)

STILL the Q is valid with all those things ;)

Push the break pedal I suppose...... :surrender:

Pushing the brake pedal would be better ;)

In terms of brake wear and keeping temps under control, you will always be better burying the pedal into the floor than you will being softer with it. However, every corner and every condition will dictate a different braking technique, so as has been said there really is no correct answer. I tend to brake earlier and softer with a view to unsettling the car as little as possible which works for me, but even I'm aware that's not technically the right thing to do.

Yep your quite right......to much :drunk: ....... :lol:

In terms of brake wear and keeping temps under control, you will always be better burying the pedal into the floor than you will being softer with it. However, every corner and every condition will dictate a different braking technique, so as has been said there really is no correct answer. I tend to brake earlier and softer with a view to unsettling the car as little as possible which works for me, but even I'm aware that's not technically the right thing to do.

Yeah I find I'm doing that too, also not trusting the brakes makes me want to have a lower exit speed of track if that happens :lol: Hoping next outing will change that somewhat, can't wait to get a proper setup, brakes and tyres 100% and let it rip!

Thanks for the input guys, Zugara.. go back to the alco :lol:

I agree with Ekona here and though it not a one size fit all solution for all corners firmer decisive braking and turn in optimuses weight transfer to your advantage as well a keeping your braking time shorter and hence "cooler" so it's optimal for the next time u need it. If you think braking is friction and friction generates heat and heat brings about fade especially if your pad compound is not suitable or the disc size is inadequate to dissipate the heat then you are halfway there.

The rest is track and track surface specific and vehicle handling characteristic which determines what constitutes the best braking for each situation.

However the best starting point is investing in a very good braking system which has the effect to resist fade by better heat dissipation. The confidence from this does wonders.

If you go for lessons - you'll find that you will be taught slow in fast out approach and to be honest unless you have a real bee in yer bunnet about times (which you shouldn't have on a track day ;) ) this is what will ensure the best lines and most fun through the twisties in the heavy assed zed :teeth:

I've got a conclusion about my change of driving, with the newly found power I go slower into corner and progressively, slowly apply power... before I worked the Z WAY more and had to work it far harder then now. It's nice :D

Points taken aboard. So my Q is left unanswered. That book will be read, thanks Zmanalex.

:evil: Can't wait for some tracking, 16th here we come!

I've never been on a track and probably never will do, but I can answer the above questions from an engineering/science angle.

"Energy can be neither created nor destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another"

On a level surface a moving car possesses kinetic energy by virtue of it's mass (weight) and velocity (speed) To slow the car down, this kinetic energy needs to be converted into heat energy by the braking system. Whichever braking technique you use, to slow from one speed to another will produce exactly the same amount of heat. The disks (now rotors?) are designed to dissipate this heat to the atmosphere quickly and therefore maintain a cool working temperature. This will start to happpen as soon as any heat is generated. This means that the heat build up will be minimised by applying the brakes over a longer time period.

Steve

If you're after the fastest possible lap times the technique is simple... you spend as short a time as possible on the brakes, and as long as possible on the power as each circuit/corner will allow... so you brake as late as possible (which means you are braking as hard as possible) this has advantage of loading the front to turn in... obviously if you haven't the brake set-up to allow this then you have to compensate - but your lap times will suffer.... which is only really important to you if you are racing, or wondering why the guy in front with an equivalent car is gradually pulling away from you.....

If you're after the fastest possible lap times the technique is simple... you spend as short a time as possible on the brakes, and as long as possible on the power as each circuit/corner will allow... so you brake as late as possible (which means you are braking as hard as possible) this has advantage of loading the front to turn in... obviously if you haven't the brake set-up to allow this then you have to compensate - but your lap times will suffer.... which is only really important to you if you are racing, or wondering why the guy in front with an equivalent car is gradually pulling away from you.....

:teeth: more like why is that lower powered car overtaking me in the corners :lol:

Going to push it on a bit and see where it 'lands' B)