Track days

ddcboyle

Hey :)

Just looking at track days to take the 350 round for a spin but dont wanna burn tyres out in one day so does anybody know any tracks/circuits that offer a number of laps for lower price?

At the moment i can only find full day/half days as opposed to 3/6/9laps etc. Would be most useful :D

Thanks, Dean.

MSV run novice days with sessioned driving, still cheap this time of year too. You can do as much or as little as you like, the only place you buy per lap is the Nurburgring. You won't burn your tyres out as the surface is much smoother on a proper track than the road, and you're unlikely to be doing huge burnouts on your first time out!

Eg: Snetterton Novice sessioned, £99: http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/event-details.aspx?productid=1121&calType=noviceonly

Welcome mate. :thumbs:

Keep an eye out for car shows. There's a show at Castle Combe in May called Japfest and you can sign up and pay for a 15minute session on track there (be quick though, i think they're running out).

Similarly, Japfest 2 is in July i think at Donnington, and they offer the same chance at track time. It's a really good, safe experience.

Another option would be to look out for a Sprint day. You only do 1 lap at a time and then wait your turn for the next lap... not as much fun but easy on your car. I did one at Curborough and it was only £60 for the full day, and i got about 25 laps.

You'd be best off on an open pit lane day where you can come and go as you please, and if you're that concerned about tyre wear either stick a new set on before you go or pick a 'proper' track as opposed to an airfield. If you go open pit then if you notice excessive tyre wear then you can back it off a touch without feeling like you're losing out too much.

In all honesty though if it's your first track day and you're not going to spend all your time sideways then tyre wear will be almost unnoticeable across the tread, it'll be the shoulders you'll notice it but that can be minimised by keeping an eye on your pressures. :thumbs:

Club MSV do taster sessions at a few tracks. £25 for 25mins.

I done one at Snetterton last summer. If you live close by and just wanna do a few laps its fine (I think we done about 6) but personally I don't think its enough. It takes far longer than that to learn the track so you won't really get to push the car at all.

I would think a MSV novice day would suit you well. They sometimes do am/pm sessions for a good price.

Or if you can't get a date that suits, then an open pit day as Dan suggests would be the best bet.

I would say a taster session isn't enough. It will take a couple of hours to settle into track driving as your nerves and adrenaline will be going mental.

Look for a 3-4hr session open pitlane and try and get someone who's used to track driving to go out with you the first few laps. Forget it if it's wet also.

When I used to supervise track days you`d get cheaper prices in the "off" season - i.e. when its a good chance it will rain and be crap weather conditions. Not ideal if your in a RWD car or motorbike, but we still used to get some serious nutters turn up on their motorbikes and spend all day thrashing them about the track in the rain.

Another option is in the summer some tracks, like Snetterton used to offer evening sessions. Where you start at like 6pm until dark. That worked out as a fraction of the price of a day session.