Change of Career **September Update**

Ruddles

Quick update on this. I have received back from a company regarding my application for an apprenticeship. It would seem as they are not willing to sponsor me to train as they receive no funding from the Government as I am 25 years old.

However, If I am prepared to complete an evening course (2 years I'm assuming) there will be a job for me when I finish.

Does anyone think this is NOT a good route to take? :surrender:

If you gave up after one knock back I wouldn't employ you. ;)

Get in touch with electrical training providers. My Sister sells training for a living these days (office stuff) but there are loads of grants available. You might be able to approach a company and when they say 'no money after 25' you can produce something that shows you get a grant.....

I studied Electrical and Electonic Engineering, now work for the largest (I'm sure) oil service copmany in the world. We hire a lot of older Techs / Engineers.

I actually asked my dad about your situation - he owns a large electrical company (Explosion proof, panel building, Control, design, service, install and maintenance etc etc) with bases in the UK and Middle East. He said he'd have no issues with age 'as long as he was a grafter'

I always work to best ability Stew! :teeth: . Putting in the hours and ensuring all your work is complete and correct is not only what your employer expects of you it also means you're never behind on work, colleagues are grateful (most!) and you can rest easy knowing you've done your best! :thumbs:

I've had knock-backs and put-downs thorugh my current employment. Now I know what I want to do, I won't stop until I get it! Being sat at a desk 9-5 just isn't me.

I've seen a lot of places give grants based on travel or disability for example, however, I'm fairly central to three collages, I'm going to take a day so I can go in and have a chat with an advisor or better still a tutor :thumbs:

Sounds like a decent bloke! Shame he doesn't have a West Mids base! :lol:

I think too many possible employers are put off with the fact they would receive no money for training an "older" (I use the term loosly...25... :dry: ) person. If I were an employer, I'd realise the fact that at 25 I have a better idea of what I want to do and what I want out of life than a teenager. Of course I'm not stereotyping here, just my 2 cents! ;)

A 2 year course is only £1200, so that's great news! :thumbs: . As the course is 1 year full time I'll only be adding another year of tuition, learning and hopefully at some point experience. Have sent off an email to the college now just waiting to hear back on what they say as "ideally" they look for already employed in the trade applicants :thumbdown: .

Sifted through three colleges near me and only one does the level 2 course part-time, so fingers crossed. I've hopefully got a fully qualified 30 odd years in the biz electrician to take me on some occasional Saturday runs so I can watch and learn and maybe get around to helping out :) .

Cheers Dave! :thumbs:

Update

I have a dilemma :headhurt:

I approached my departmental manager today and informed him I was interested in becoming an electrician and was going to be looking at starting an evening course come September, ergo I would have to come in earlier yet finish earlier for two nights each week for 2 years to be able to get there on time. His expression and reply was positive in the fact he offered that If I had such an interest in electrical studies they would put me through training :surrender:

Now as the sector we work in is brewing and distribution I'm unsure if it electrical engineering or electrical installation (I'll be querying this tomorrow).

I just thought that as I would be still working there for 2 years whilst I did an evening course, even if the course my present company offer to train me in is not the Electrical Installation course I'm after and is say electrical engineering, would it be worth doing whilst I ALSO do the evening course in Electrical Installation?

I hope people can follow what I'm saying and can offer me some advice! :D

Course, Electrical Building & Structure.

Year 1.

City & Guilds 2330 Level 2 (2 nights a week at College)

Year 2.

City & Guilds 2330 Level 3 (2 nights a week at College)

Year 3.

NVQ Level 3 Electrical Installation (about 1 year to achieve)

Could follow this after 2 years qualified with City & Guilds 2391 (Test & Inspection)

Good luck.

As far as i am aware it will take you 3 years to become qualified, as above.

The last year is a NVQ LEVEL 3 ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION course. This must also be hands-on, as you are require as part of the course to complete a log book of work experience.

Hope you get it all sorted out ok.

It could be either......

My Dads company supplies the electrical systems for whisky distilleries in Scotland - fine single malts ;) and they use engineers and instal people obviously.

Ask a bit more and also ask about jobs available at the end off it. Would you like to be an electrical engineer or on the tools?

Cheers Dave! :thumbs:

Update

I have a dilemma :headhurt:

I approached my departmental manager today and informed him I was interested in becoming an electrician and was going to be looking at starting an evening course come September, ergo I would have to come in earlier yet finish earlier for two nights each week for 2 years to be able to get there on time. His expression and reply was positive in the fact he offered that If I had such an interest in electrical studies they would put me through training :surrender:

Now as the sector we work in is brewing and distribution I'm unsure if it electrical engineering or electrical installation (I'll be querying this tomorrow).

I just thought that as I would be still working there for 2 years whilst I did an evening course, even if the course my present company offer to train me in is not the Electrical Installation course I'm after and is say electrical engineering, would it be worth doing whilst I ALSO do the evening course in Electrical Installation?

I hope people can follow what I'm saying and can offer me some advice! :D

Depends if you want hands on work or something more office based. Engineering can cover a wide range of stuff from design and installation to safety cases and management systems. Ultimately this can lead to more management based roles and you can quite easily see a career without ever picking up screwdriver!

I'm still waiting on my boss speaking to HR. Have been pressing for two days now and still hasn't sorted it. Getting on my nerves really, how hard is it to walk across the yard and ask somebody!! :rant:

I'm frankly sick of being sat in front of computers being hounded by people who are in a position higher than me with a fraction of the knowledge of myself.

I want to work the labour side, I want to see something other than the same 4 walls and miniscule windows around me! :lol:

To bring this thread back up, I was contacted by one of these "four weeks and you're trained" type people. How can that be correct? to squash 2 years worth of evenings into a solid block? Sounds like a bit of a con? :wacko:

Still looking for apprenticeships /improver employers (whilst I wait until September) although there just don't seem to be any in the area :thumbdown:

• 5 months later...

Update 06/09/12:

I decided to go down a different path with this some time ago and have got rid of my previous unsatisfactory and altogether 'sh*t' job/company and put myself into Full-Time Electrical Level 2, it's only 3 days beginning at college anyway so I can find a part-time job for the other 2-3 days. Was told today (after late applying and I might not get a chance) that I had got in despite the course being full, so very, very lucky or I must have impressed in my interview :yahoo:

Absolutely overjoyed!! :band:

1 year course so this time next year I'll be working in the industry. Can't wait as I start Monday next week. I have also managed to keep enough money to keep the Zed!!

Though I will say I'll be doing a damn more walking and biking! :lol:

Thanks for all the previous helpful comments in this thread! :thumbs:

Update 06/09/12:

I decided to go down a different path with this some time ago and have got rid of my previous unsatisfactory and altogether 'sh*t' job/company and put myself into Full-Time Electrical Level 2, it's only 3 days beginning at college anyway so I can find a part-time job for the other 2-3 days. Was told today (after late applying and I might not get a chance) that I had got in despite the course being full, so very, very lucky or I must have impressed in my interview :yahoo:

Absolutely overjoyed!! :band:

1 year course so this time next year I'll be working in the industry. Can't wait as I start Monday next week. I have also managed to keep enough money to keep the Zed!!

Though I will say I'll be doing a damn more walking and biking! :lol:

Thanks for all the previous helpful comments in this thread! :thumbs:

Brilliant news mate, congrats :thumbs::#1:

Well done on making the change mate. I'm only 22, but when I left school I didn't want to go to college (hated school), didn't know what sort of job I wanted to do either. I came across a course that helped young people with interview work, cv, job searching, experience etc so I went on this. Funnily enough after a year on the course me and a friend decided we wanted to go to college and studying plumbing.

6 months into my first year and I had my evenings free so I got a part time job in retail. Finished my plumbing course and couldn't get an apprenticeship anywhere around here. Just no-one was recruiting so I carried on in retail, starting doing management courses. I left the company I was with to start with a bigger company for more opportunities. After a year with the new company (I'd completed supervisor courses, other training etc), a vacancy came up for security. There was no progression in the company for security which stood against everything I was going for, but I knew I would enjoy it more so I went for it.

I worked on security there for a year, and then put myself through my own security training, started working with an events company doing festivals etc and started doing some bouncer work too. I then saw a vacancy for a computer data company needing physical security and that's where I'm still at now. With fantastic pay, benefits and progression chances. I couldn't be happier!

Best move I've ever made in my life so far was changing career paths. I hope yours works out as well as mine has mate. Make sure you keep us posted :thumbs: .

I thought you needed level 3 nvq to be qualified as an electrician?

Well Done with it! Hope it all works out and you end up where you want to be. Electrical maintenance is the money maker nowadays and not very hard. You can sit inspection and testing also which makes a very nice sum of cash for not much work.

Once i've done my first year i can get a job as a sparky whilst doiing level 3 on a day release basis. Once i've completed level 3 then i'll be classified as fully qualified. Better to do it this way, my main prio is the course and part time work comes second plus as its a year, two years from now i'll be fully qualified and who knows :yahoo:

Once i've done my first year i can get a job as a sparky whilst doiing level 3 on a day release basis. Once i've completed level 3 then i'll be classified as fully qualified. Better to do it this way, my main prio is the course and part time work comes second plus as its a year, two years from now i'll be fully qualified and who knows :yahoo:

Good stuff mate!

Get your testing and inspection. License to print money. I'm sure you can do that with very minimal qualifications also